Misbehaving kitten

Old April 16th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Misbehaving kitten

Hello Everyone, (Happy Easter)
We've got a little 10 week old kitten, had her for 3 weeks now and ever
since she came into our house she's been good about her litter box
(smart Mom taught her well). But every now and then she decides to
relieve herself in our BEDROOM! First time (2 weeks ago) she managed to
both poop and pee... and this morning she decided to pee right in the
very same spot. Irony of it is, we don't like to let her into the
bedroom (she sleeps outside); could this have something to do with it?
She seems awfully curious about this one spot (right in the corner of
the room.
How do we teach her not to?!
Thanks for the tips,
Mike & Olfa

Old April 16th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

A 10 week old kitten cannot always remember to go back to the litter box.
Try either keeping her in a room by herself (when you are not around) or
place another litter box in your bedroom.
Gail
oups.com...

Old April 18th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

very same spot. Irony of it is, we don't like to let her into the
bedroom (she sleeps outside); could this have something to do with it?
She seems awfully curious about this one spot (right in the corner of

She'll keep returning to this one spot and peeing over and over again unless
you remove the smell by using a product made specifically for removing urine
odors (go to pet store or Walmart, etc. they should all have something, just
make sure it's made just for removing urine odor). In the meantime keep
your bedroom door closed during the day so she can't return there and will
not get used to going there. If she were older and doing this I would
suggest a visit to vet for urine test as cats will tend to do this when they
have a urinary tract infection but since she was only 8 weeks old when she
started doing this, she is probably just not used to where the litter box is
yet. You should bring her there and place her in there a few times a day
just to show her that that is where she should be going. If she has to go
when you do this, she will; if not, she'll just jump out, but at least she
should start to learn that that is where you want her to go. We got a kitten
at 7 weeks old too several years ago not knowing that that was too young and
that we should have let her stay with her mom for another one to three weeks
and she did the same thing. The new home is probably confusing and
overwhelming to them at that young age they probably can't remember where the
box is sometimes.

Old April 18th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

One other thing, if you let her in with you at night she'll cuddle up with
you in bed which she will love! (and I'll bet you will too if you try it).
She's so young and is probably lonely without you at night.