WARNING: Angry neighbor has cat euthanized

Old April 17th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default WARNING: Angry neighbor has cat euthanized

CNN.com is carrying a news report about a man who didn't get along with his
neighbor and who trapped her cat in his yard and dropped the cat off at the
local shelter to be euthanized. The woman searched the neighborhood for two
days before going to the shelter, only to be told that the cat had been
euthanized that day.

What scum! He says there are "two sides to every story." I can only
surmise that he means that she didn't keep her cat at home. Incidents like
this is only one of the reasons I think cats should be kept indoors for
their own safety (and also to protect birds, etc.). In this case, the
shelter was able to identify the man, and he has issued a "desk appearance
ticket." I hope they give him the maximum penalty for the offenses listed
and don't just treat that poor cat as "mere property."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/17/cat....ap/index.html

MaryL

Old April 17th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

That really is horrible If he was having a problem with the cats,
he should have made a formal complaint, not do what he did. This is
exactly one of the reasons I keep my cats indoors.

Old April 17th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

The neighbor would be running for his life if that happened to me I would
welcome the jail sentence afterwards

A couple good reason to keep your cat in doors but if you must let them out
MICROCHIP
What a screwed up shelter 2 days than kill the cat not even enough time to
see if it could be adopted

Old April 17th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

MaryL wrote:
[...]

I don't have any problem trapping and turning in rogue cats that ****
on my property time and time again. Have done it a number of times.
People need to respect their neighbors and when I end up cleaning up
cat **** and **** (on doors, furniture, wood pile, etc - rendering
these items useless), making sure my son isn't exposed to it, and
taking my dog to the vet for worms acquired from other people's cats,
that's it. After so many "discussions" where the neighbors basically
don't give a **** about you, your family or your property, what other
recourse does one have? I have a dog and two cats and my animals (and
family) stay on my own property - I expect the same courtesy from my
neighbors. If I were able to catch and turn in the dogs that **** on
my lawn all the time, I'd do that as well.

I haven't read the article - suspect this guy was well within his legal
rights to do so. In most places, he would be.

-L.

Old April 17th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Matthew AKA NMR wrote:
The neighbor would be running for his life if that happened to me I would
welcome the jail sentence afterwards

A couple good reason to keep your cat in doors but if you must let them out
MICROCHIP
What a screwed up shelter 2 days than kill the cat not even enough time to
see if it could be adopted

A lot of them do. Many kill on intake if they are too full.
Looks like the guy lied and said it was his cat, which is a totally
****ty thing to do.

-L.

Old April 17th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

MaryL wrote:
[...]

No, he wasn't within his rights because he did far more than turn the cat
into the shelter. He claimed the cat was his and left it with orders to
euthanize. According to the article, he has been charged with "charged with
criminal mischief, criminal possession of stolen property and making a
punishable false written statement."

I agree that people who permit their pets to have the run of other people's
property are inconsiderate neighbors who deserve to be fined, but I do *not*
agree that anyone has the right to trap and secretly have a cat or dog
euthanized. The cat has been punished for something that was caused either
by the owner or by both the owner and the neighbor. My own two are
indoor-only, both for their protection (*most especially* for that purpose)
and to protect other animals and my neighbors' rights.

MaryL

Old April 17th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
No, he wasn't within his rights because he did far more than turn the cat
into the shelter. He claimed the cat was his and left it with orders to
euthanize. According to the article, he has been charged with "charged
with criminal mischief, criminal possession of stolen property and making
a punishable false written statement."

*And* he has done it before- in 1998, and again in 2002- to the same family.

You gotta wonder though, why they continued to get more cats and let them
run free, knowing what happened to the others.

I agree the man is a scoundrel- but he couldn't have trapped them had they
been kept at home where they belonged.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Old April 17th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Toni" wrote in message

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
No, he wasn't within his rights because he did far more than turn the cat
into the shelter. He claimed the cat was his and left it with orders to
euthanize. According to the article, he has been charged with "charged
with criminal mischief, criminal possession of stolen property and making
a punishable false written statement."

*And* he has done it before- in 1998, and again in 2002- to the same
family.

You gotta wonder though, why they continued to get more cats and let them
run free, knowing what happened to the others.

I agree the man is a scoundrel- but he couldn't have trapped them had they
been kept at home where they belonged.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Exactly! On all counts. The man is scum, but so is the neighbor who would
continue letting cats roam if this has happened before. I cringe at the
thought of both of them. I hope he gets the maximum penalty and only wish
there were similar charges that could also be brought against the poor cat's
"owner."

MaryL

Old April 17th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

MaryL wrote:
[...]

My boss has a neighbor cat that is constantly messing up his
flowerbeds with the digging and pooping, etc. He's also deathly
allergic and often can't work in the beds unless they've been
recently watered. For a while sprinkling coffee grounds worked, but
apparently the cat doesn't care anymore, and talking to the neighbor
does nothing. He doesn't think he should trap it simply because he
knows where it belongs and otherwise gets along well with his
neighbor. If only people with roaming cats could be so considerate.

I don't agree with what the guy did. It's horrible. But I
understand the frustration. There is a new cat here who has a
greeting meow of a solid 5 seconds, and she "greets" me at 6:00 a.m.
at my window when I don't have to be up until 7:00. Bootie still
comes by, but he's moved on to the front door, thank god. How any
of them remember where I live after roaming the community is beyond
me.

--
Brandy Alexandre

--Everything tastes better with cat hair in it. =^.^=

Yes, horrible is the word -- and I do also understand the frustration when
people will not control their own pets. And it *is* the fault of
inconsiderate owners, not the fault of the the cats or dogs.

MaryL

Old April 17th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Toni wrote:
*And* he has done it before- in 1998, and again in 2002- to the same family.

You gotta wonder though, why they continued to get more cats and let them
run free, knowing what happened to the others.

What?!! You have got to be kidding me! I think both parties in this
case is disgusting excuses for human beings.