Cat chewing electrical cords

Old April 17th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat chewing electrical cords

Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
behavior?

Thanks.

Sue

Old April 18th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:52:13 -0400, blkcatgal wrote:

Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
behavior?

Get some habanero based hot sauce -- the kind only intended for masochists
or sadists, for example "Dave's insanity sauce".

Put it over the cords. Wash your hands extremely well afterwards.

Old April 18th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

they make pet stay away spray any pet store has it I use it on my
Christmas trees cats won't come near it

Old April 18th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

blkcatgal wrote:
Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
behavior?

Thanks.

Sue

Coat cords with Grannick's Bitter Apple.

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.
Old April 18th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

blkcatgal wrote in :

Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
behavior?

I've found cats generally don't take well to being corrected. Best I
can manage is thwart, rather than correct. Years ago, I inherited a
nine year-old Siamese who had that habit--chewed all sorts of cords,
not only electrical ones. She lived with me eight years and died at a
ripe old age of causes unrelated to cords chewing. Only way I could
get her to stop chewing cords (which are plentiful in my house) was to
tuck as many as possible into spots unreachable by the cat, place
sheets of Plexiglas to block off areas where there were tangles of
cords behind appliances that needed ventilation (such as stereo
equipment and computers), and wrap in cut up ribbons of plastic bin
bags all cords that couldn't be hidden or made inaccessible (cat
wasn't interested in chewing loose plastic, only the firm stuff). Lots
of work went into this thwartery, but I loved my cat, and took
seriously my job of protecting her from herself. Good luck with
yours.
--
^ Winifred ^
Old April 18th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

While I have used hot sauce in a pinch to keep the cats and dogs from
chewing cords I found the best thing it to buy a bottle of bitter apple
spray. You can find it at Petco or your local pet supply place probaby even
carries it.

It taste awful but is not toxic and once they get a taste of it won't touch
the item again. I use it regularly and spray the cords in my house once a
month because I have a dog who likes to chew. She hasn't chewed a cord in
over a year since I started using it but I don't like to take chances and
give them a spray anyway.

Celeste

. ..

Old April 18th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wow, that always scares me. I have bad memories of the sound of a
halogen lamp falling over -- looking over just in time to see sparks fly
and smell smoke as Licorice (cat) ran into another room. I couldn't get
her out of the closet for a long time. She had no visible burns but I'll
bet that hurt.

One thing you can do is put clear vinyl tubing over exposed cords (like
aquarium tubing.) You can split one side with a razor and wrap it
around. You can also try a plastic spiral wrap.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old April 18th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this

You can get plastic automotive tubing from hardware stores (it's used for
covering wires under your engine). I used this on my cords as my cat was a
cord chewer when she was younger.

Old April 19th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article , Winifred B
says...
blkcatgal wrote in :

[...]

My oldest cat is a chewer. There's one segment of coaxial cable that I
can't protect from him so I just replace it when I notice the TV signal
getting snowy and the net connection getting slow.

The computers these days are laptops with wireless nic's and nicely
stowable power supplies. And the juciest cables are in the clost off
office. But back in the day I used to modify my computer cables - I'd
take off one end of the cable and pass it through flexible blue conduit
and then re-connect/solder. He couldn't get his jaws around it.

Old April 19th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:21:19 +0000, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:52:13 -0400, blkcatgal wrote:

Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
behavior?

Get some habanero based hot sauce -- the kind only intended for masochists
or sadists, for example "Dave's insanity sauce".

Put it over the cords. Wash your hands extremely well afterwards.

If the electricity doesn't kill him the hot sauce will. There are cord
covers that will protect them from kitty teeth.