cat non-stop meowing

Old April 18th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default cat non-stop meowing

Hello everyone --- I haven't thought about getting help on a newsgroup for my cat until tonight. Duhhh!

Anyway, my cat who is a rescued cat is about 3+ years old. I have had him for a little over 2 years. He was an outside cat, and now
I keep him inside because of coyotes (yes - in Atlanta, GA! ) and increasing traffic on the road around here. Recently he has
started non-stop yammering. I feed him and it stops but only briefly. I built an outdoor "pen" with a 24/7 catdoor for him and often
he sits out there and *still* yammers.

Last year he did it about this time of year, but eventually calmed down after a couple of weeks. It seems like it is going on
forever and won't stop this time, though. Sometimes I just freak and yell at him "What!?!?!" but I know that is not good for our
relationship. He is a really sweet kitty other than this behaviour. Also, he has only hopped in my lap once in the past couple of
weeks. That may or may not be a symptom, but I thought I'd throw that in.

Someone in a Google search suggested that cats do this when they have high blood pressure, thyroid trouble, or are going deaf.
Tomorrow I am calling the vet since it is so uncharacteristic of him to do this for this long.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem and what was the outcome/solution for you ? Anyway, any comments on this are
welcome.

Thanks !

Old April 18th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Holy Hell an actual intelligent animal lover really needing help in the
newsgroup. Sorry had to throw that in so many people come here wanting
help in the newsgroup but when we say go to a vet they get mad and want us
to diagnose a cat over the internet so they don't have to pay money. They
expect us to come up with a diagnoses sight un seen. You are already doing
that going to a vet and you described some of the symptoms in the post.
Yes those problems can cause the problem. I am glad you taking the cat to
the vet

My cat precious who passed away a few months ago she was going senile and
deaf from age and she would yammer until you can over and touched her then
she would shut up. I had another cat that had a blockage in the ear and
caused the cat to be unable to hear himself so he did not realize how loud
he was. Also my rumble who is epileptic the medicine he is taken has given
a side effect of him being very vocal

Old April 18th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for the feedback! I was shocked to see how fast it came back - wow! I am used to 24 hour turn-around on newsgroups.

Come to think of it, Coco - my cat - doesn't really yammer when I get up and pet him. Hmmmm - I wonder what that means ?

Have you ever had one that let out a meow when they used the litter box ? It's just a single "Meowr!", and only now and then. I
think it's comical, but perhaps it is also a symptom of something. I have checked behind him and haven't seen anything alarming in
the box when I notice he does that. I'll try to remember to mention it when we see the vet.

Anyway, thanks for the fast feedback. Kinda makes me feel better!
Thanks again !

Old April 18th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"buttermybutt,callmeabiscuit" wrote in message
oups.com...
well you know I do a no-money back discount diagnosis, any diagnosis
for 10 bux...PAYPAL

step right up

No thanks - you can butter your own butt.
My cat needs a vet. You need ... geee, I dunno ... some kinda help !

Old April 18th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My news reader is set up to check email and my news groups every minute.
This newsgroups is monitored by quite a few people

Yes definitely ask the vet about it could be a sign of a couple things

Matthew

Old April 18th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Matthew AKA NMR" wrote in message om...
My news reader is set up to check email and my news groups every minute.
This newsgroups is monitored by quite a few people

Yes definitely ask the vet about it could be a sign of a couple things

I will!
Thanks again !
JCD

Old April 18th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Matthew AKA NMR" wrote in message om...
My news reader is set up to check email and my news groups every minute.
This newsgroups is monitored by quite a few people

Yes definitely ask the vet about it could be a sign of a couple things

Diagnosis: Cat is Fat ! Gained 1/2 lb in last 2 months. Rack that one up to me being weak and overfeeding him. Actually, the vet
couldn't find anything wrong with him, so that is our best guess for the moment. I am to restrict his food intake and see if losing
some weight helps his attitude at all.

Anyway - thanks for the help !
JCD

Old April 19th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Have you ever had one that let out a meow when they used the litter box ? It's just a single "Meowr!", and only now and then. I

Careful about this. If a cat has a urinary tract infection, it is painful
when they urinate and they may cry out. Sometimes they will go in other
areas than the litter box too. If a male cat has a UTI and it is left
untreated, the struvite crystals can build up and cause his urethra to become
blocked; the urine will then not be able to come out at all (which is an
emergency situation). Just make sure you keep an eye on this and if you
think he may be experiencing an infection, have vet take a urine sample.

Old April 19th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks! I told the vet about this today & she made a note of it.
She said his bladder was empty, so at least he can go. But I will keep a watch out - thanks for the advice !

"Anna via CatKB.com" u18214@uwe wrote in message news:5efd544fa9705@uwe...
Have you ever had one that let out a meow when they used the litter box ? It's just a single "Meowr!", and only now and then. I

Careful about this. If a cat has a urinary tract infection, it is painful
when they urinate and they may cry out. Sometimes they will go in other
areas than the litter box too. If a male cat has a UTI and it is left
untreated, the struvite crystals can build up and cause his urethra to become
blocked; the urine will then not be able to come out at all (which is an
emergency situation). Just make sure you keep an eye on this and if you
think he may be experiencing an infection, have vet take a urine sample.

I don't want to give her away, but she just won't stop urinating! Gurpreet Cat health & behaviour 12 November 21st 05 05:42 AM
Another Meowing Post [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 20 May 23rd 05 09:47 PM
MEOWING! Kelly Cat health & behaviour 10 February 22nd 05 06:05 PM
Make the rain stop! Harri Cat community 10 December 5th 04 12:19 PM
Daisy's early morning meowing and curtain destroying Eyman Cat health & behaviour 12 October 3rd 03 05:11 AM