God this is aggravating...

Old April 19th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default God this is aggravating...

Every year I completely replace my litter pans - just toss out the old
ones and start fresh. Last night I went out and plunked down $8.99
each for two "Giant" Van Ness litter pans. I hired a babysitter and
spent two and a half hours today cleaning the pet area - replacing all
the bedding, sweeping and mopping floors, scrubbing walls...you get the
idea. I do this thorough cleaning about every 3-4 weeks, just to keep
the environment healthy. Anyway, today was New Litter Pan Day 2006; I
set them up on the newly-scrubbed floor and laid paper towels
underneath to catch any splashes and stray litter.

I'll be damned if I didn't go in to tuck every one in tonight and find
cat pee all over the floor in the litter box room! SOMEBODY hung their
butt over the pan and peed a FULL bladder all over the floor. Figures!
Mimi has a habit of doing this - she is old and getting arthritic and
I think she just can't tell where her kitty parts are. Peewee does it
every now and then because he's just too damn big and clumsy.

I don't know who the culprit is today, but I am wondering if it is
commentary on my cleaning prowess or commentary on the new color of the
litter pans....

-L.

Old April 19th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Every year I completely replace my litter pans - just toss out the old
ones and start fresh. Last night I went out and plunked down $8.99
each for two "Giant" Van Ness litter pans. I hired a babysitter and
spent two and a half hours today cleaning the pet area - replacing all
the bedding, sweeping and mopping floors, scrubbing walls...you get the
idea. I do this thorough cleaning about every 3-4 weeks, just to keep
the environment healthy. Anyway, today was New Litter Pan Day 2006; I
set them up on the newly-scrubbed floor and laid paper towels
underneath to catch any splashes and stray litter.

I'll be damned if I didn't go in to tuck every one in tonight and find
cat pee all over the floor in the litter box room! SOMEBODY hung their
butt over the pan and peed a FULL bladder all over the floor.

How can this be? The Van Ness boxes have 8" high sides. Try the RubberMaid
litter boxes- they're about 12" high.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...rmaid-high.jpg

Old April 19th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Maybe they wanted to mark it, didn't like the smell of the cleaner?

Old April 19th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't know who the culprit is today, but I am wondering if it is
commentary on my cleaning prowess or commentary on the new color of the
litter pans....

-L.

Maybe they wanted to mark it, didn't like the smell of the cleaner?

That's what I was thinking too!

Rhonda

Old April 20th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I fixed this issue by placing my litter box inside of huge old dog crate.
This way when they miss the crate below catches it and I just take it
outside and scrub it out as needed.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old April 20th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil P. wrote:
How can this be?

Um, I have big cats...?

The Van Ness boxes have 8" high sides. Try the RubberMaid
litter boxes- they're about 12" high.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...rmaid-high.jpg

Thanks - I will look for those. I worry about Mimi gettig in to it
though...she's a little stiff in the AM.
-L.

Old April 20th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
Maybe they wanted to mark it, didn't like the smell of the cleaner?

If that were the case, I'd think they'd just pee on the floor or a
place more obvious - and I use the same cleaners every week, so I think
they are pretty used to them by now... This seemed to be just a
"missed" pee over the side, which happens every now and then with these
goofs (once every 2-3 months or so). I have had them both checked for
UTIs and they always come back negative - it seems to be just somebody
"missing". I thought it was consistently Mimi (I had seen her do it)
until I SAW Peewee doing it one day. Little stinkers!

-L.

Old April 20th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Do you put paper towels down every time you clean the boxes, or was it
just that time? If it was just that once, maybe they thought the paper
towel looked like a nice place to pee? I once put a wee wee mat (the
kind for a small dog) under my litter box, and they urinated on it, and
they kept going back to dig and "bury" it with imaginary litter