Hairballs...just a cat fact-of-life?

Old April 23rd 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Hairballs...just a cat fact-of-life?

I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
recommendations for controlling it?
I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?
Old April 23rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Well cats throw up and they have hair balls... two separate things.
and i wouldn't want to repress hair balls, as it would just stick in their
insides and that wouldn't be good.

Old April 23rd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Buddy" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are treats called "Temptations" and they have one for hairballs.
Seems to work really well. Helps kitties eliminate them out the other
end. You would not want to do anything that would prevent them from
elimination, as this would interfere getting nourishment from their
food and other things.

That is a standard cat treat in this house

Old April 23rd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Jason B wrote:
I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
recommendations for controlling it?
I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

I have a long-haired breed.

Brushing the coat at least 2 -3 times/week will go a long way towards
cutting down on the ingestion of their own hair not to mention being
good for the coat.

I've also noticed since switching her to Science Diet food that I can
count on one hand the number of hairball incidents there have been over
the last few years.

Aside from the above two, I don't use any other hairball remedies.
Old April 23rd 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 2006-04-23, Jason B wrote:
I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
recommendations for controlling it?
I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

They've got to get rid of the swallowed hair some way. The usual cure is
the occasional dose of petroleum jelly. Petromalt, Laxatone and similar
hairball formulas are petroleum jelly with malt syrup and vitamins added.
My cats haven't had much trouble with hairballs. They've all been
domestic shorthairs.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old April 23rd 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
Jason B wrote:
I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
recommendations for controlling it?
I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

Bubba loves Petromalt.

He thinks it is Kitty Kandy and he comes as close as a
cat ever does to begging for a dose when he sees the tube.

Once a day in shedding season and he never seems to have
any problems with hairballs.

Claude
Old April 23rd 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Best to avoid cheap dry foods, and you may want to try mixing hairball
formulas with regular diet. Regular brushings also help.

The idea is to enable cats to digest rather than clog up, because cat
hack is not only unpleasant, on a regular basis it's as destructive to
their upper tract as vomiting is for us.

Cat greens (easily purchased) and indoor formulas that incorporate
greens help overall cat digestion as well. Best wishes!

Old April 23rd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My two cats very rarely cough up a hairball. Tiger has long hair but
almost never has one. Amber has short hair but maybe once a month has
one. They eat mostly canned food (Wellness) and have oat grass to
nibble on. I think the food has a lot to do with it.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old April 24th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Joe Canuck wrote:
Jason B wrote:

[...]

I brush both of them daily....sometimes they get it twice if my
girlfriend didn't see me doing it.

When it comes to food, I have always fed them Iams hairball/weight
control dry food. What do you all think of Iams. I don't see it
mentioned much here.

I've heard of the Vasoline trick on the paws.....I may have to give it a
try.