My cat keeps missing the box, but there's more...

Old April 27th 06, 11:53 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default My cat keeps missing the box, but there's more...

It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of the
box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would go
clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he just started
GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop this, new
litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the above, but to no
avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but eventually he misses the
box and then reverts to his outside-the-box-eliminator ways.

It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known solution?

Old April 27th 06, 01:35 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

0to60 wrote the following on 4/27/2006 6:53 AM:
It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of the
box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would go
clear over the side of the box and onto the floor.

A box with very high sides and/or a cover? I have one large cat who
pushes up against a corner and would miss if not for a high-sided,
covered box. I found that the Bouda boxes don't work for her because when
she peed against the cover it would end up dripping outside of the box
because of the way the lid fit on. I've never had a problem with the
largest VanNess box.

Karen R.
Old April 27th 06, 02:45 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"0to60" wrote in message

It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of
the box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream
would go clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he
just started GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop
this, new litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the above,
but to no avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but eventually he
misses the box and then reverts to his outside-the-box-eliminator ways.

It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known

solution?

There is, indeed, Oto, and a very simple one it is too. Simply cover the
surrounding floor with metal foil and pass an electrical current (from the
mains, preferably, or a car battery setup will do) to it. Then, when
urination occurs, the disciplinary jolt will persuade the recalcitrant
feline to pee in the right place. Alternatively, if the thought of
electrically shocking cats is too much for you to consider, a good, hard
kick right up its arse should do the trick. And if THAT doesn't work, just
have the cat put down and get another one that looks just like the original
(cats are all the same anyway, so it doesn't matter). Hope this helps.

Old April 27th 06, 03:52 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 05:53:29 -0500, "0to60"
wrote:

It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of the
box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would go
clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he just started
GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop this, new
litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the above, but to no
avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but eventually he misses the
box and then reverts to his outside-the-box-eliminator ways.

It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known solution?

Make sure the litter box you get has a high sides.

Old April 27th 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen wrote:

0to60 wrote the following on 4/27/2006 6:53 AM:
It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of the
box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would go
clear over the side of the box and onto the floor.

A box with very high sides and/or a cover? I have one large cat who
pushes up against a corner and would miss if not for a high-sided,
covered box. I found that the Bouda boxes don't work for her because when
she peed against the cover it would end up dripping outside of the box
because of the way the lid fit on. I've never had a problem with the
largest VanNess box.

Karen R.

I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.

Old April 27th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Dr. Woodard" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen wrote:

I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.

What is there to figure out?

Old April 27th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"0to60" wrote in message
It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of

the
box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would

go
clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he just started
GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop this, new
litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the above, but to no
avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but eventually he misses the
box and then reverts to his outside-the-box-eliminator ways.

It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known

solution?

Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...rmaid-high.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E..._box-dog-2.jpg

Old April 27th 06, 08:36 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:16:33 -0400, "Zeitgeist"
wrote:

"Dr. Woodard" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen wrote:

I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.

What is there to figure out?

The cat would try to squeeze to the right or left of the door.

It's like the cat tried to go into the door head on was stopped for
some reason so then it would try to squeeze in on the right or left
side.

I even tried attempting to show the cat how to use the door.

Old April 27th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:

"Dr. Woodard" wrote in message

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen wrote:

I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.

What is there to figure out?

The cat would try to squeeze to the right or left of the door.

It's like the cat tried to go into the door head on was stopped for
some reason so then it would try to squeeze in on the right or left
side.

I even tried attempting to show the cat how to use the door.

Errr ........ yes. Let's see. You got on your hands & knees, with the cat
looking on, presumably cooing banal, crazed **** to it, like "Ooooh look,
Tiddly-Widdly, dis is ow Snookums does go through-woo da ickle door-door,
see?" . . . . after which you probably (and very helpfully) butted your head
against the said door just to belabour the point. I also assume that all the
while you were making exaggerated pointing motions with your hands, towards
the door, in an insane attempt at further explaining the point to what is
obviously an extremely unintelligent and/or emotionally abused animal.

You weirdo loonies should be banned from owning animals. You really should.

Old April 27th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Some cats are a bit slow - can't figure out how to use cat flaps either. Or
they just don't like the odor of an enclosed box, start to step inside then
think 'phewee....'.

But then I had to teach my poodle how to climb the stairs. (I put a treat
on every 3rd step will encouraging the dog to come to me. Then put her paws
on the 2nd step, while my 8 YO daughter pushed gently on the dog's butt. It
was truly hilarious!!! Repeat all the way up the stairs. And we had to do
this not once, but 2-3 times.)

-- maryjane

"Dr. Woodard" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:16:33 -0400, "Zeitgeist"
wrote:

"Dr. Woodard" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen wrote:

I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.

What is there to figure out?

The cat would try to squeeze to the right or left of the door.

It's like the cat tried to go into the door head on was stopped for
some reason so then it would try to squeeze in on the right or left
side.

I even tried attempting to show the cat how to use the door.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----