Cat lost a tooth

Old May 4th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat lost a tooth

Hi.

My 12yr old had to have his upper right canine removed. When he came
home we feed him moist food for about a week, but then slowly put him
back on hard food. Since losing the tooth he is now cutting his upper
lip with his lower canine.

Is there any solution? I don't want him to have to lose another tooth,
but his cut is bad. He is a big boy so his teeth are big.

Thanks

Old May 4th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Cal" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi.

My 12yr old had to have his upper right canine removed. When he came
home we feed him moist food for about a week, but then slowly put him
back on hard food. Since losing the tooth he is now cutting his upper
lip with his lower canine.

Is there any solution? I don't want him to have to lose another tooth,
but his cut is bad. He is a big boy so his teeth are big.

I have seen dogs with their canine teeth filed down- usually due to biting
issues, but perhaps a consult with a veterinary dentist is in order?

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Old May 4th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

We've had two different cats with a canine removed. One is just fine but
the other had an occasional bump on his lip from the other tooth
rubbing. It never really cut the lip, though.

I wonder if the vet could file it a bit -- maybe it's chipped and has a
sharper point?

I agree you might mention it to the vet.

Rhonda

Old May 5th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You should mention it to the vet, it will take a bit of getting used to
for him to have the tooth missing also. I have known cats do fine with
no canines! But if he is getting a cut since the one has gone missing
you should see if your vet can do anything.