Hardest Day of my Life

Old May 8th 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Hardest Day of my Life

Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
Henry. He developed advanced kidney failure. Symptoms began on Monday
and by Thursday he wasn't eating or drinking. Henry was the mildest,
most retiring cat. He ran from anyone or any animal except for his
person (me). Although he was a beautiful cat, he was very modest, and
never sought the spotlight but on the contrary, preferred not to be
seen by anyone other than me. He was a lover not a fighter, and hated
all forms of confrontation with man or animal. He had a hesitant,
barely audible miaw, that he exercised when he was excited, usually
when he was hungry or just in a jolly mood.

I got him from someone giving away kittens out of a cardboard box in
front of the supermarket. He was the only male in the litter, and the
only orange one. He was all by himself, and didn't seem to want to
have anything to do with his sisters. This aloofness is a trait he kept
throughout his life, and made us two peas in a pod. When I lay down to
sleep, he would position himself just above me on the bed, close enough
to let me pet him, but never touching -- that would have been TOO close
for him, ha, ha.

Just last month, when he was still healthy, I said to him, Henry, when
you want to go (by go, I meant ease out of life), you go ahead, don't
worry about me, I'll be alright. And I stroked him gently like he
always enjoyed. He chose my two days off from work to start getting
ill (coincidence? I don't think so). He was so brave and noble
throughout, and never became ornery or difficult. He retained his
gentle spirit and was as accomodating to the vet, assistants and
everyone as you could want. I think he knew just what he was doing.

Henry, you were the best, and I will remember you my whole life for
giving me the greatest gift of all -- my humanity. I will always
retain that, and will pass it along. Your life was significant, baby,
and it will have it's effect, sweety. It will have it's effect. Good
bye, good buddy. See ya later.

Love, your friend, Lee

http://www.sonic.net/~lkokot/henry/

Old May 8th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I have had the difficult task of
watching a treasured pet/friend pass and I know it is a painful goodbye. I
am glad that Henry and you were able to be together at the end so that you
could say your final goodbye's.

country_cinderella

ups.com...

Old May 8th 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
Henry. He developed advanced kidney failure.
---------------------------------------

Here is a klink of the glass to Henry. There is nothing harder to suffer
thru than losing a loyal pet. My sincere condolences.

Michael Lane

" Say what you want and be who you are,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind. "
Dr. Seuss

Old May 8th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Im so sorry to hear about Henry.My thoughts are with you.

Old May 8th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

: Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of
: 15 years, Henry...

My thougth and prayers are with you and Henry.

Paraphrasing a Hindu thought, if someone loaned us something precious
and let us keep it for a long time, we'd not complain when he finally
needs it himself and asks it back one day; we'd return it with
gratitude for the favor shown. Now that God wanted Henry back, return
him with no complaints and all the due gratitude.

So as not to feel all alone in this, read someone else's very similar
experience expressed in a touching poem:

http://www.thetuxedocat.com/about.php?mark=01

Also, think about your already scheduled reunion with Henry at the
Rainbow Bridge:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

-K
Old May 8th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

: Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of
: 15 years, Henry...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Henry.

Old May 8th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Henry sounds like a wonderful cat (aren't they all?). You were so lucky
to have him for 15 years. You'll see him again.

Old May 8th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

[...]

Henry sounds just wonderful and from your pictures was just the kind
of big orange tabby boy I have always wanted. From your description,
it is clear that you two were meant to be together. I know that feeling--
I still feel like someone sent my little Gracie to me, that we were sent
to each other, for similar reasons. I am very sorry for your loss. Thank
you for sharing Henry with us.

Old May 8th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

So sorry you had to lose Henry. You were lucky to have had each other.
Fifteen years is how old my last 2 cats were when they died and I know how
you feel.

Read what the poster says about the rainbows edge. Sometimes I just try to
hold that thought.

Love,
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old May 8th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
Henry sounds like a wonderful cat (aren't they all?).

You know, all cats are not created equal! I just have to say this, because
in my experience it is true. I had for 20 years a cat that I adored--my
first cat. After she died I adopted a 2-year-old former feral female who had
been caught pregnant and socialized at a great no-kill shelter.

I learned that my first cat really did not like people, was really dumb in
cat terms, and was mean, too. (Partly my fault as I had her declawed like an
idiot.) It was my new cat Gracie who proved this, because she is so smart,
and so polite, and so affectionate she seeks me out for petting and wants to
snuggle like a child. It ocurrs to me that it is a good thing I got Gracie
last and my other cat first--imagine if I had gotten the wonderful cat first
and then the one that was not so wonderful. As it is, I adored my first cat.
I just did not know any better!

So ... I do think they are all different. (And I do take you point that each
of us usually thinks ours is the best!)