HELP! Bite marks behind ear

Old May 9th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default HELP! Bite marks behind ear

Hello. Any help will be appreciated. I have 5 cats. All have been
neutered/spayed. I have one cat (male) who is apparently being bitten behind
one of his ears. I haven't seen the culprit who is doing it to him. I am
giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently gets
it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.
What can I do to help this poor kitten. He is about 6 months old. The one
who I suspect may be doing this is his sister. Has anyone else had this
problem?? Thanks again for any responses!

Old May 9th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"tomsheree" wrote in message
.. .
Hello. Any help will be appreciated. I have 5 cats. All have been
neutered/spayed. I have one cat (male) who is apparently being bitten
behind
one of his ears. I haven't seen the culprit who is doing it to him. I am
giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently gets
it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.
What can I do to help this poor kitten. He is about 6 months old. The one
who I suspect may be doing this is his sister. Has anyone else had this
problem?? Thanks again for any responses!

Are you positive it is bites and not abrasions from him scratching the ear,
or a skin problem?

-Toni

Old May 9th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

No, I am sure they are bites, you can see the teeth marks.

All my cats are house cats so they do not come in contact with outside
strays either. Got any ideas?

"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

.. .

Old May 9th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"tomsheree" wrote in message
. ..
No, I am sure they are bites, you can see the teeth marks.

All my cats are house cats so they do not come in contact with outside
strays either. Got any ideas?

Not really- just trying to clarify that they were bites.

Anecdotally- one of mine was beating up on another a little bit too much for
my taste, so I kept clipping the nails of the aggressor really short and let
the nails on the abused one get really long and pointy.
It did help.

-Toni

Old May 9th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"tomsheree" wrote in message
.. .
Hello. Any help will be appreciated. I have 5 cats. All have been
neutered/spayed. I have one cat (male) who is apparently being bitten
behind
one of his ears. I haven't seen the culprit who is doing it to him. I am
giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently gets
it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.
What can I do to help this poor kitten. He is about 6 months old. The one
who I suspect may be doing this is his sister. Has anyone else had this
problem?? Thanks again for any responses!

You may want to isolate the bitten cat until his ear heals.

Then make sure all the cats have lots of good hiding places. Whenever I've
had a more aggressive cat, as long as the timid one could get under or
behind something they could defend themselves. Any other cat trying to get
to them got soundly scratched on the nose.

Another way to defuse tension, is to be sure the cats have lots of different
levels - like on a cat tree. The dominant cat(s) will seek the higher
levels - and play cat King or Queen. It seems to make them feel better if
they can express their importance this way.

-- maryjane

Old May 9th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hi, This is a shot in the dark, but is it possible to put something on
your Kitty, behind his ear, that might repel the biter? Some kind of
bad tasting substance that is not harmful to one being bitten?

Stan

For the most adorable Kitten Pictures
http://kitten-pictures.blogspot.com

Old May 9th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Yes it is okay to use Neosporin, in fact the vet has often suggested that
for my cats on occasion. Just be sure to carefully clean the area first so
as not to trap any dirt/dust under the Neosporin

country_cinderella

news

Old May 10th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

country_cinderella wrote:
Yes it is okay to use Neosporin, in fact the vet has often suggested that
for my cats on occasion. Just be sure to carefully clean the area first so
as not to trap any dirt/dust under the Neosporin

country_cinderella

"tomsheree" wrote in message
news
Thank you, I will isolate him till it heals. I appreciate the advice. Is
it ok to use an antibiotic ointment on cats, like neosporin??

Bitter apple taste bad and its safe to use on cats. Be careful with the
bites, cat wound heal over very quickly and trap bacteria which can
cause a abscess