scratching around food bowl before eating

Old May 11th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default scratching around food bowl before eating

I wondered if someone could tell me what's going on he

My cat is on an antibiotic. At first I would mix it with a little
canned food - a real treat for him. He'd run right over and gobble it
up. He did that for a few days. Then he started turning his nose up
at it and I switched to tuna juice. Again he LOVED it for a few days.

Now every time I put down the dish with the tuna juice and medicine he
spends many minutes scratching around the bowl. He'll sniffs the bowl
and scratches. Sniff again and scratch. This goes on and on.
Usually, not always, he will eventuall start to lap it up and once he
starts he doesn't stop until the bowl is clean. Sometimes he won't eat
it until I've left it there for hours, which isn't good for the meds.

It's as if he's torn between wanting to eat it and not wanting to eat
it.

Luckily we only have two more days of meds so I'm not overly concerned,
just curious.

Old May 11th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My cats always scratched around food they didn't like. It was like they
were trying to bury it. Maybe your cat doesn't like the taste of the meds.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old May 11th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I agree with Barb. All my cats would act as if burying their food if
they didn't like it. They are so sensitive to smell and taste - I am
sure he recognizes something is in the food. You are lucky he is
eating it.

Old May 11th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Barb" wrote in message
news
My cats always scratched around food they didn't like. It was like they
were trying to bury it. Maybe your cat doesn't like the taste of the
meds.

--

My cats go this on and off whether they like the food or not. It is supposed
derive from an old instinct left over from when they were wild, to cover

Old May 11th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Buddy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I agree with Barb. All my cats would act as if burying their food if
they didn't like it.

So you have never had a cat eat half the food then pretend to bury it?

Old May 11th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Now every time I put down the dish with the tuna juice and medicine he
spends many minutes scratching around the bowl. He'll sniffs the bowl
and scratches. Sniff again and scratch. This goes on and on.

If he's tired of the tuna, you could try something different such as a bit of
canned salmon - my cats love this. Another treat they love is some chicken
baby food (should have no onions in it though).

Old May 12th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you put just a drop of the medication on his nose he won't smell the med
in the food. After he licks the med off his nose with his tongue he won't
taste the med in the food. The med on the nose and tongue neutralizes the
cat's olfactory and gustatory senses to the smell and taste of the
eds. --Has about an 80% success rate.

Phil

Old May 12th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks! I'll try it.

Old May 13th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

If you put just a drop of the medication on his nose he won't smell the

med
in the food. After he licks the med off his nose with his tongue he won't
taste the med in the food. The med on the nose and tongue neutralizes the
cat's olfactory and gustatory senses to the smell and taste of the
eds. --Has about an 80% success rate.

Phil

Wow, great idea, I'll remember that for the next time.