NEED ADVISE

Old May 12th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default NEED ADVISE

I just adopted my 2nd kitty from the Miami animal control... he is the most
adorable Orange Tabbyhe has no major concerns eyes drippy or watery - no!
everything else appears to be fine... the only thing is, is thathe keeps
sneezing... like as if he allergic to something.... he activity is normal..he
is only 1 month old and believe it or not he is sooooo active... running
arounf jumping up and down everywhere.. playful, etc... but the sneezing...
before I take him to the vet should I be concerned or give it a little bit
more time...
PS: he has had his shots and is fine...just sneezing a lot... can any one
advise....???
Thanks a mil....
Old May 12th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I just adopted my 2nd kitty from the Miami animal control... he is the most
adorable Orange Tabbyhe has no major concerns eyes drippy or watery - no!
everything else appears to be fine... the only thing is, is thathe keeps
sneezing... like as if he allergic to something.... he activity is normal..he
is only 1 month old and believe it or not he is sooooo active... running
arounf jumping up and down everywhere.. playful, etc... but the sneezing...
before I take him to the vet should I be concerned or give it a little bit
more time...
PS: he has had his shots and is fine...just sneezing a lot... can any one
advise....???

He is only 1 month old? They adopted a kitten out to you that is only 4
weeks?? Are you sure that is the correct age? Usually shelters will not
adopt out a 4 week old kitten; they will wait until they are at least 6-8
weeks old, which is also the time they are usually vaccinated. The sneezing
can be attributed to the FVRCP vaccine he got. It may be a mild reaction to
the vaccine which can occur a few days after being vaccinated. Or it may be
due to the fact that he caught an upper respitory infection at the shelter.
You need to keep a close eye on this; you also need to call them and ask some
questions. If he seems sick, he'll need to go to vet; URI's can be fatal to
a kitten.

Old May 12th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Anna I apologize I he is 2 months old... I typoed... he is two months old he
is a sweetheart and this sneezing is continuous. I will moniter the sneezing
the next few days otherwise I am going to take him to my vet... I apprecaite
your response. This helps me a lot... your great...thanks a mil. Jannette

Anna wrote:
I just adopted my 2nd kitty from the Miami animal control... he is the most
adorable Orange Tabbyhe has no major concerns eyes drippy or watery - no!

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Old May 12th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I agree with Gail. Get him to the vet immediately. Kittens go down
hill fast. Sneezing all the time is not normal.

Old May 12th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

YOU ALL ARE RIGHT THIS IS WORRYING ME I'M GOING TO TAKE HIM TO MY VET
IMMEDIATLY! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVISE! JANNETTE

Old May 12th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

YOU ALL ARE RIGHT THIS IS WORRYING ME I'M GOING TO TAKE HIM TO MY VET
IMMEDIATLY! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVISE! JANNETTE

That's a good idea; new kittens should have a check-up anyways. But as I
said before, it may be a vaccine reaction; I worked in a shelter and saw this
happen to many cats. So don't worry too much. You're doing the right thing
by getting him checked out though (the little guy obviously got himself a
great owner!).

Old May 12th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Just one more question your advise is greatful... I have another kitty
Savannah who had to take some amoxicillin to prevent infection from a minor
surgery she had when she was just about the same age... and I have a half a
bottle left do you think if I gave "Napoleon" that's the new kitty's name a
small drop for a couple of days for the sneezing it would be safe enough...it
is an antiobiotic...

Old May 12th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Just one more question your advise is greatful... I have another kitty
Savannah who had to take some amoxicillin to prevent infection from a minor
surgery she had when she was just about the same age... and I have a half a
bottle left do you think if I gave "Napoleon" that's the new kitty's name a
small drop for a couple of days for the sneezing it would be safe enough...it
is an antiobiotic...

No, I would not give him something that was prescribed for your other cat.
You don't know yet if he even needs antibiotics. Just give your vet a call
and tell them the story. You should also call the Miami AC if they adopted
him out to you while he was sneezing; they may reimburse you some of the
funds to help pay for any costs that incur at the vet's.

Old May 12th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Just one more question your advise is greatful... I have another kitty
Savannah who had to take some amoxicillin to prevent infection from a minor
surgery she had when she was just about the same age... and I have a half a

Oh and also, you should not keep old bottles of antibiotics. Once you are
done with them, you should throw them away. They will not be as effective
over time and if you are prescribed them again in the future, the vet will
give you a new, fresh supply. Also, if your kitty is prescribed antibiotics,
*always* use the whole amount that the vet says to give, don't stop using it
if the cat seems fine. They have to finish the whole course for it to be
effective (same rule that applies to humans).