Missing cat

Old May 13th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Missing cat

Hi all - I am so stressed and need people to keep my baby in their
thoughts today. I recently moved into a new house last week and it
backs onto a forest, with few neighbours. Anyway I haven't let my cat
out because I wanted him to become familiar with the territory first on
a leash. However at our old house we had a lot of neighbours, lots of
cat friends would come visit and Simba would go outside all the time
with them, in and out all day long. So yesturday he wouldn't stop
crying to go outside. So we thought ok, he won't go far, he's been
around the yard on leash. So we put him out around 1:00pm. I watched
him from the window and opened the door once in awhile to let him know
I'm there, he likes that.

Around 3:30 I called him, and wondered where he went. At 4:30 I went
outside looking for him through the trees and asked the neighbours if
they've seen him. Nothing! I went out for hours after that, nothing! I
went out at 10:00pm, and every hour after that and constantly called
him from the door every few minutes. Now I'm panicking, I went out at
3:30am and again at 5:00am and then went deep in the forest and across
acres to the neighbours for about an hour at 6:00am. Now it's going on
24 hours and no sign of him. What can I do?? I already put missing
signs up on all the neighbourhood.

Since I just moved here, I haven't met my neighbours all yet and
they'll think I'm nuts, crazy cat lady if I go around asking them to
check their garages. Please keep Simba in your thoughts today, I do
believe in the power of the mind and a higher power.
Thank you!
Simba's Mom

Old May 13th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Also I forgot to mention Simba is not a roamer, never has been. He's
been neutered 10 years.
THanks, Simba's Mom

Old May 13th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Simba's Mom" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I would not necesarily become too desparate yet. I moved 3 times with Q who
was a neutered tom and not a wanderer but each time he immediately
disappeared for 3-4 days before he came back. The first time I was very
worried but once I realised he was just scoping out his new area I wasn't
too worried.

The last time I moved was from one end of the village to the other and once
Q made his way back to his old house despite never making the trip before. I
collected him and bought him home. I don't know how far you have moved but
if Simba doesn't come back in about a week it might be worth getting in
touch with your old neighbours in case they see him around there?
--

Niel H

Old May 13th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

:
[...]

Is your new house near the old one? Then he may have found his way
there.

No need to panic yet, but also no harm in informing your new neighbors
gracefully (and also old ones if not too far) that your cat is missing
and you'd appreciate a call if they see any sign.

I hope he has an identifying collar with your phone number?

Maybe hang somethings with your household smells at the back door and
also at the entrance to the yard.

Let us know how it goes.
Old May 13th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Simba's Mom" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

How far do you live from your former home? Be sure check there (and call
your previous neighbors) if it is reasonably close -- even a few miles.
Cats have been known to "return home."

Put out some pungent, scented food at your current home -- tuna, sardines,
etc. -- to help attract your cat. Look *very* carefully at any hiding place
close to your house, even if you have already searched there. Cats
(especially if frightened) can curl up in the tiniest, most unlikely of
places, and they are often close to home in these situations (the difficulty
in your case, of course, being this hasn't been "home" for very long).

MaryL

Old May 13th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Don't worry about appearing crazy to your neighbors -- if they are
decent people, they will understand. I would go immediately to all of
them and hand out your phone number, and show a picture of Samba.

There are probably other critters in the forest, I wonder if she got
scared by something and went up a tree? You might walk through as much
of it as you can, especially looking up. You probably know most cats can
go up the tree but not down.

I would put an unwashed t-shirt, pajamas, or some clothing item with
your scent outside.

Keeping looking everywhere and talk to those neighbors!

I will be thinking of Simba today. Let us know what happens.

Rhonda

Old May 13th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

[...]

You should have left him on the leash hooked to something.

My furbabies

http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/

Old May 13th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Unknown One wrote:

Simba's mom wrote:

Since I just moved here, I haven't met my neighbours all yet and
they'll think I'm nuts, crazy cat lady if I go around asking them to
check their garages. Please keep Simba in your thoughts today, I do
believe in the power of the mind and a higher power.

You should have left him on the leash hooked to something.

Well, but then he would have been an easy target for any creature coming
out of the woods.

Maybe "should" isn't a good word to use at this time anyway.

Still hoping for good news...

Rhonda

Old May 13th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rhonda" wrote :

Maybe "should" isn't a good word to use at this time anyway.

Yeah, I am learning that. I bet the OP will not let that cat out
unsupervised again, if she ever sees him again. I hope she does
get him back. Poor baby, poor her.

Old May 13th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Simba's Mom" wrote in news:1147529191.617056.9460
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

[...]

I've been through it. You and Simba are in my thoughts. I hope he comes
bounding home!