Baby oPossum explosion - my boys are interested

Old May 21st 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Baby oPossum explosion - my boys are interested

As some may recall, I have a small backyard fenced in to allow Espy
and Nipsy to go outside. Well, a few days ago I see Nipsy in the hall
playing with his toy mouse. No, it's a live, or rather, dead mouse.
Burial at sea time.

Outside, a bit later, I see Nipsy playing with something, and it's
another mouse. I get that one away from him and drop it through the
fence into the yard next door. The next day I come home (they've been
inside the whole day because they only go out when I'm home) and
there's a dead mouse in the hallway. I guess one of them brought it in
the day before. Those were definitely mice.

Today is, as far as I can tell, baby opossum day. I think they're
opossums. They're not mice, or rats. Not voles I don't think, or
shrews. No, having seen an adult opossum (the THING in the backyard
thread of a few months ago), I think these are babys.

One ended up in the hall , where the dead mice were. It was still
alive so I set it free. Now I've seen one in a neighbor's yard, and
freed two more from the cats. I was just outside and Espy is parading
around with a fairly large grey thing in his mouth. I got it away and
sent it next door.

I'm bringing the boys in now. I realize this is what cats do, but I
don't have to be very happy about it. Mice and opossums are actually
pretty cute.
Old May 22nd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"dgk" wrote in message
I'm bringing the boys in now. I realize this is what cats do, but I

don't have to be very happy about it. Mice and opossums are actually
pretty cute.

Opossums are cute until they develop some of their adult defense mechanisms
which include oozing a foul smelling phlehm and some of the most incredible
paint peeling farts on the face of the earth.

Old May 22nd 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have opossums in my yard, happily. They come out at night and eat up
bugs. There's always a new youngster every summer and s/he loves to come
right up to the patio door and play staring contest with my two kitties.
VERY cute, entertaining, and helpful.

Old May 23rd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Mon, 22 May 2006 17:52:41 GMT, P No Gree G O
wrote:

I have opossums in my yard, happily. They come out at night and eat up
bugs. There's always a new youngster every summer and s/he loves to come
right up to the patio door and play staring contest with my two kitties.
VERY cute, entertaining, and helpful.

These guys are so small that they look like small rats. But they have
the white face and pinkish nose of opossums. I hear that they do get
along well with cats but I would think that is when they are bigger.
Right now they're just the right size to carry around.
Old May 23rd 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Aren't opossums marsupials? I thought that babies were carried in a
sack, doubt you kitties are getting baby oppossums? Sounds like voles
or shrews instead. Jen

Old May 23rd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

JJ wrote:
Aren't opossums marsupials?

Nope.

Old May 23rd 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Tue, 23 May 2006 02:44:02 GMT, P No Gree G O
wrote:

JJ wrote:
Aren't opossums marsupials?

Nope.

Yep.

Old May 23rd 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

William Hamblen wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2006 02:44:02 GMT, P No Gree G O
wrote:

JJ wrote:

Aren't opossums marsupials?

Nope.

Yep.

Oops, you're right! Sorry about that, folks.

Old May 23rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 22 May 2006 18:22:38 -0700, "JJ" wrote:

Aren't opossums marsupials? I thought that babies were carried in a
sack, doubt you kitties are getting baby oppossums? Sounds like voles
or shrews instead. Jen

I just looked up pictures of voles and shrews. Shrews are little and
look just like a mouse. Voles are bigger but leave runways in the
lawn, which I don't have. The guys that I saw looked like, well, this:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/pubs/opossum.htm

Same cute little white face and pink nose. Mine were bigger than these
guys though, so I guess that they've been weaned. And see the way that
the front guy's rear foot is going out to the side? That is just what
my guys did when I was pushing them through the chainlink fence into
the next yard. The rear foot reached out to hold the fence while it
got comfortable and then it moved off into the vegetation. Nope, I
think they were indeed little oPossums.

In fact, this site http://www.opossum.org/ says that they have thumbs
on their hind feet! Yes, that is just what it looked like. That rear
foot grabbed and held the chain link. But they weren't quite 7-9
inches yet. They were four or five inches though. Young to be weaned I
guess but that was the case.

Apparently they cause little harm and eat all kinds of things that do
harm. I'm glad I rescued the little guys and I hope they make it to
adulthood.

Baby Chips Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 0 March 11th 06 08:15 AM
The Silly Cat Survey Enfilade Cat anecdotes 50 July 17th 05 06:45 PM
Baby Bea Integration Pat Cat anecdotes 1 May 14th 05 10:28 PM