Took a while, not quite a year, but got the phosphorus levels for Nestle/Purina

Old May 26th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Took a while, not quite a year, but got the phosphorus levels for Nestle/Purina

Took a while, many, many months, but got the phosphorus levels for
Nestle/Purina Purina One Healthy Weight Management Formula Dry Food.
This last time, I called a couple of months ago? and they got back to
me. So I am grateful for that. I cannot recall the last time I
telephoned and asked for this information.

On a dry matter basis, it's 1.41% phosphorus levels or content for
Nestle/Purina Purina One Healthy Weight Management Formula.

That's double or twice the 0.70% level that I use for my pal here. I'm
bummed out about this. And now I know why it was so very, very
difficult to get all the relevant information. Fortunately, my buddy
has been eating this for the nine months it took to get the
information. I will probably throw out the uneaten part. I really do
not like high phosphorus levels and that seems to be par for the course
in all supermarket foods except for a handful.

Almost all, if not all, of Science Diet is around the 0.70% level for
phosphorus for a dry matter basis. I use dry matter basis because then
I can compare levels across any food. Science Diet in Hillspet.com
publishes all their phosphorus levels as a Dry Matter Basis, and As
Fed, and as minimums or maximums for all their foods, both prescription
and regular.

I guess I am going to stay out of supermarkets and just buy at Pet Valu
or such which supply Science Diet. There may be others like Royal Canin
that are also good but I can get the full information from Science Diet
and that's very good. No phone calls. No snail mail. Just off the
internet any time day or night, down to the pH levels even. And the
calories on a weight basis and on a volume basis. No muss, no fuss.

Almost all the foods, except for a very few, made by Nestle/Purina,
like Fancy Feast, Purina One and so on appear to be very high in
phosphorus levels. That is not good to me.

Is this because of the ash causing the phosphorus levels to rise? And
that's because of the relatively low quality of certain ingredients?

Why am I concerned? There is talk and research of high levels of
phosphorus and renal failure or kidney problems in felines or cats.

For the record, I do not work for Science Diet, directly or indirectly.
I do not even get coupons from them

Steve, are you out there? How about a coupon for this email? Keep up
the good work.

Old May 28th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
[...]

Let me correct this. I meant that out of how many types of Fancy Feast,
20, 30, 40, 50, 60? there are a handful, about 5 or 6 that are low in
phosphorus. But most of the Fancy Feast is much, much higher than 0.70%
phosphorus on a Dry Matter Basis. The same is so for most of the
Friskies except for 2 or 3. On the other hand, all the Science Diet
foods I have looked up have phosphorus around 0.70%.

Is this because of the ash causing the phosphorus levels to rise? And
that's because of the relatively low quality of certain ingredients?

Does anybody know if this is so? I think it might be. When I look up
the values for pure foods, like only edible, human grade chicken, and
so on, the phosphorus levels are very low.