Help! no-kill cat shelters near Methuen, Mass?

Old June 2nd 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Help! no-kill cat shelters near Methuen, Mass?

In another forum I read, a guy recently posted about his cat having
problems vomiting. He adopted a 10 year old cat recently and the cat
vomits daily. The vet apparently said it was more like regurgitation,
but beyond that, I have no other info.
It sounds a little like the guy hasn't been doing much about the cat's
medical problem. Tonight this guy (although I want to call him
something else!) has decided he doesn't want to spend money on the cat
anymore, so he's taking the kitty back to the shelter for a refund,
despite knowing they will euthanize the poor cat.
I know he just wants the refund. It's obvious it's all about money,
because he keeps asking people on the forum to donate to his Paypal
account. He's got other cats so this is not a newbie who didn't realize
what upkeep of a cat costs. But if I can find a no-kill shelter near
him I want to suggest it and see if I can't keep this poor cat from
being euthanized.
So I'm asking for help - anyone know of any no-kill cat shelters near
Methuen, Massachusetts?

Thanks,
Stacia

Old June 2nd 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Stacia wrote:
In another forum I read,

so where is this forum, put a link up here

Old June 2nd 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Stacia wrote:
[...]

Email Kelly - I think she still posts at alt.infertility.parenting. If
you Google search there you will find her - her nic is Snittens. She
will know.

-L.

Old June 2nd 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"mnemonic" writes:
Stacia wrote:

In another forum I read,

so where is this forum, put a link up here

The reason I didn't link is because the guy turned off comments (so
you can't reply to his message) so it wouldn't matter. But it's on
LiveJournal so if any of you are LJ members, drop me an email, I'll be
happy to give you links. The guy hasn't responded to me so I wonder if
he's even being honest with us.
Anyway, the full story: A few weeks ago this guy shows up on an LJ cat
group saying his cat throws up a lot and misses the litter pan. It's a
new adoption, a 10 year old from a shelter. He's got other cats so I
suspected the cat might be scared in the new house with all the new
smells.
The guy immediately asks people on the cat group for money to pay for
the vet. Then about an hour later he asks for money again, this time
for a "homeless friend".
It was suspicious so I called him on it. He deleted one request for
money and might still be mad at me for my comment about begging for
money.
He claims the cat improved for 2-3 days and went to the vet, where
they did tests, and the vet said the cat was "regurgitating" more than
vomiting. He didn't really say anything else except the vet was
hundreds of dollars and they wanted to do $500 more of tests. He claims
to have called the shelter who said they would refund his money for the
kitty but would put the cat down if he returned it.
So last night he posts that he's tired of the vomiting and he's mad at
the shelter for selling him a defective cat, that he's going to return
the cat and demand the shelter pay the vet bills. If they don't, he
will take them to court.
It's all about money with him, obviously. He has no concept of a cat
shelter and I can't believe he would take a shelter to court, where they
would have to spend money on legal fees that should go to caring for
abandoned cats!
I replied to this guy in his personal journal, which is screened, and
he has ignored me. However he HAS allowed some people who agree with
him (?!) to post so it's obvious he's deliberately ignoring people who
gave him other suggestions. I told him to get a 2nd opinion, find a
no-kill cat shelter, find someone else who will take the cat...
SOMETHING. But no.
I think I might call the shelter he mentioned to see if his story
checks out. He might be hoping to scare us all into donating to him to
prevent the kitty from being euthanized.
I think there IS a cat. There's a photo of the cat in his journal.

Stacia

Old June 2nd 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

" writes:

This is an area with quite a few shelters. Here is a list of the
no/low-kills in the 978 area code. Be aware that no/low-kills are
sometimes hesitant to acquire 10 year old cats as they can be slow to
adopt out and use up precious space in the shelters for significant
periods of time. Good luck. I hope you find someone. This information
was gotten from www.petfinder com.

Thanks! I got an email from the guy saying there were no no-kill
shelters around, which is obviously untrue. Then he said he "really
needed the money back" and implied the cat was terminally ill.
Just MINUTES later he posts to the forum that the cat just has
hairballs! Now he's keeping the cat for a while, again. So we're
supposed to believe he spent hundreds of dollars on vet tests and the
vet never mentioned hairballs? Either this guy never went to the vet or
he's making up the hairball story to get rid of people like me asking
him to not have the cat killed.
Seriously, within minutes the kitty went from terminally ill to just
having hairballs.

Stacia