moving etc

Old June 2nd 06, 10:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Default moving etc

Hello everyone,
im new here i was hoping a few of you could give me some tips with the
following problems.
my cats are a male and female both 8 years old,ive been in switzerland for
the last 25 years
moved back to the UK 6 months ago,my cats for the last 6 months were with a
freind in Zürich.
Theyve never been outside,were bred as house cats.
They joined me in the UK 1 week ago,they recovered very well from their
trauma flight etc.
What im looking forward to is letting them out for the first time,theyve
both had their inoclutaionsd etc.
Id like to ask you all
1) How long should i keep them inside beofre i let them out?
2) How do i help or thrain them to use a cat flap?
3) After theyve started going out ,should i get rid of their litter box,or
leave it.?
4) Theyve never had collars etc,should i put one on them,will it disturb
them,are they to old.?
5) Is there anything else i need to know?
Sorry about so many questions,but these little clowns are pretty
precious to me! Just for interest,they were reunited with their old freind a
5 year old Jack russell,who theyve know since a puppy.when i got the air
crate finaly in my living room,it was amazing,the dog shook all over with
excitement,then his tail nearly fell off it wagged so much,i let the cats
out of the crate,then the cabaret started,the purred so loud i thought theyd
got throat infections,they then proceeded to rub themselves so hard against
me and the jack russell,that the jack russell repeatedly lost his
balance,ive never seen such joy expressed by animals,they were besided
themselves with joy at the reunion,that night we all slept together in my
bed,i dont normaly allow that but i was also happy to see my freinds
again,anyone who says cat`s dont remember their owners are psycoticaly
misinformed
( i guess no one here ,argue with that
Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Keith

Old June 2nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:08:45 +0000, keith wrote:

[...]

Suggestion: Have them remain house cats unless you have a secure yard.
MLB
Old June 4th 06, 11:36 PM
CairoCat CairoCat is offline
Junior Member

I think you should definately keep them inside, if they've been inside their whole lives, why let them out now?
The collars are bad ideas, do you know how many cats die from getting chokes from their collars? In trees, ect.
Be safe and just leave them inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
Old June 5th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

I agree. They've always been house cats, so don't put their lives at
risk by putting them outside with cars, animals and structures they are
not familiar with. They will only get into trouble, possibly the fatal
kind!

It sounds like your little family is happy to be together. Put the
litter box in the most inconspicuous place where they can still get to
it. Sleep with them, love them. They missed you a lot.

Years ago, I had to put a cat of mine in "kitty storage" for about 2
months. He was very unhappy there but survived. When I got him back,
he went nuts for about a week and then was crying all the time if there
was a closed door between us. His love for me lasted until his death,
13 years later. He was the light of my life for his whole life. I
still miss him, even though I have 2 wonderful cats now.

Morgen
http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com

Moving on Mischief Cat anecdotes 27 June 4th 05 05:53 AM
advice re moving cats to new locale dan glenn Cat health & behaviour 18 June 25th 04 11:41 AM
A Moving Experience Margaret Fine Cat anecdotes 13 March 12th 04 04:54 AM
Moving Soon? Try Mover MAX! Mover MAX Cat health & behaviour 3 November 16th 03 12:25 AM
Moving House with a Cat Cathi Cat anecdotes 4 October 10th 03 09:42 PM