Foods which cause least/most foul smelling poop?

Old June 3rd 06, 08:23 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Foods which cause least/most foul smelling poop?

I am wondering what your experience is concerning the correlation
between food type (dry or canned), protein source (chicken, beef, fish,
etc), or brand (fancy feast, whiskas, friskies, iams, etc) and how bad
smelling the cat poop is?
Old June 3rd 06, 02:31 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"AlexZ" wrote in message
I am wondering what your experience is concerning the correlation
between food type (dry or canned), protein source (chicken, beef, fish,
etc), or brand (fancy feast, whiskas, friskies, iams, etc) and how bad
smelling the cat poop is?

Great news: the higher the quality of the food, the less they poop.
No kidding. Why? Because they actually use more of what they
eat. Feed your cats canned food with meat (not byproducts) as
its first ingredient (beef, liver, chicken, turkey, keep the fish to a
minimum) and few grains and you'll see what I mean. I feed Fancy
Feast and the food actually smells worse than the poop probably
does. However--I never actually smell any poop, I use a good
quality scoopable litter and keep the box clean. Do you live
in a very small place?

Old June 3rd 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I wonder if this is really true. One of my cats is on a special diet food
that I get from the vet....limited ingredients....we're trying to determine
whether he has a food allergy or not. The food is rabbit and
peas...IVD....made by Royal Canin. He gets a combination of canned and dry.
I assumed this is a higher quality food. However, my cat poops at least
twice a day (we've started calling him "Sir Poop-A-Lot")and the poop really
smells. Maybe it's because it's rabbit rather than chicken, beef, turkey,
etc. My other cat gets Wellness or Petguard canned and the special diet dry
(easier to give both cats the same dry). He doesn't poop nearly as much and
it doesn't smell as bad.

Sue

"cybercat" wrote in message

"AlexZ" wrote in message
I am wondering what your experience is concerning the correlation
between food type (dry or canned), protein source (chicken, beef, fish,
etc), or brand (fancy feast, whiskas, friskies, iams, etc) and how bad
smelling the cat poop is?

Great news: the higher the quality of the food, the less they poop.
No kidding. Why? Because they actually use more of what they
eat. Feed your cats canned food with meat (not byproducts) as
its first ingredient (beef, liver, chicken, turkey, keep the fish to a
minimum) and few grains and you'll see what I mean. I feed Fancy
Feast and the food actually smells worse than the poop probably
does. However--I never actually smell any poop, I use a good
quality scoopable litter and keep the box clean. Do you live
in a very small place?

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Old June 3rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Sue, I don't think your cat needs peas. I think the higher the carbs, the
stinkier the poo. And rabbit? Have you tried feeding Sir Poops-A-Lot
Fancy Feast varieties that have no wheat gluten and meat as a first
ingredient? It got my allergic and asthmatic cat off of Depo shots.

First time I noticed the difference in poop? Was years ago when I
switched from cheap dry to Science Diet dry. Lower volume, lower
stink. Cats are carnivores, they need meat.

Old June 3rd 06, 06:34 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

AlexZ wrote:
I am wondering what your experience is concerning the correlation
between food type (dry or canned), protein source (chicken, beef, fish,
etc), or brand (fancy feast, whiskas, friskies, iams, etc) and how bad
smelling the cat poop is?

Generally, given a healthy cat, there are two factors...

1) The cat's digestive system.

2) High quality food.

You can pick the highest quality food; however, if the cat's digestive
system balks at this particular food the end result may be bad smelling
poop.

In that case it will be necessary to try another food to see what works
well for your particular cat.

It is also necessary to give the cat time to adjust to the new food.
Once you do find something that works stick with it.
Old June 3rd 06, 06:52 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..

Sue, I don't think your cat needs peas. I think the higher the carbs, the
stinkier the poo. And rabbit? Have you tried feeding Sir Poops-A-Lot
Fancy Feast varieties that have no wheat gluten and meat as a first
ingredient? It got my allergic and asthmatic cat off of Depo shots.

The reason that vets prescribe the IVD rabbit and peas for cats that
are suspected to have food allergies (at least, the reason my vet did
so for my cat) is that the cat has to eat a novel source of protein --
a meat that he has never been previously exposed to. Most cats have
had chicken, turkey, fish, etc, so when the vet is checking for
allergies, they tend to put the cats on rabbit or venison.

I don't think Fancy Feat comes in venison

--
Jennifer

Old June 3rd 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Joe Canuck wrote:

: It is also necessary to give the cat time to adjust to the new food.
: Once you do find something that works stick with it.

I do believe in changing anything slowly, but are you suggesting the
cat eat only one kind of food? Then we would be "hostage" to that
company either remaining in business, and not dropping or substantially
chaning that formula.
Old June 3rd 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Yes, that's exactly why my vet recommended the limited ingredient food.
Ernie developed ulcers on his mouth (not real bad, just one or two) and my
vet wanted to rule out food allergies. For the most part, while I fed him
the IVD he didn't develop any more ulcers. I began feeding him regular food
again and he got another ulcer. I switched back to the IVD. But it has
been very difficult keeping Ernie out of the regular food (I feed my other
cat regular food because he's not thrilled with the IVD ) and Ernie also
gets into people food (actually grabbed a raw chicken breast that I was
planning on grilling right off of the kitchen counter; I got it away from
him). He hasn't had any ulcers lately, though, so I'm not sure if the
ulcers are caused by food allergies or not. But I'm still feeding him the
IVD.

Sue
"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:
. ..

Old June 3rd 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

: "AlexZ" wrote
:
: Great news: the higher the quality of the food, the less they poop.
: No kidding. Why? Because they actually use more of what they
: eat. Feed your cats canned food with meat (not byproducts) as
: its first ingredient (beef, liver, chicken, turkey, keep the fish to a
: minimum) and few grains and you'll see what I mean. I feed Fancy
: Feast and the food actually smells worse than the poop probably
: does. However--I never actually smell any poop, I use a good
: quality scoopable litter and keep the box clean. Do you live
: in a very small place?

My space is medium size and I also can't prentend that we have a
serious smell problem, but still the less the better.

Basically I am experimenting with various canned food varieties in an
attempt to locate a few that are not too expensive, high quality
nutrition, and she'd like them. Then I thought I may as well get some
education about poop smell issue from the experienced owners, if
certain types of food, good as they may be in other ways, are to be
avoided for this reason.

Only thing I don't like about fancy feast is that it comes in 3oz cans
and gets artificially expensive. I do use it but tend to prefer brands
that offer 5.5 oz cans.
Old June 3rd 06, 07:44 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

AlexZ wrote:
Joe Canuck wrote:

: It is also necessary to give the cat time to adjust to the new food.
: Once you do find something that works stick with it.

I do believe in changing anything slowly, but are you suggesting the
cat eat only one kind of food? Then we would be "hostage" to that
company either remaining in business, and not dropping or substantially
chaning that formula.

Unlike humans, cats don't appear to be interested much in food variety.

This is why it is important to not only pick a good food, but also a
manufacturer that will be around for a while.