Tapeworms thriving in used litter?!

Old June 4th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Tapeworms thriving in used litter?!

This is weird IMO. I'll try to make it concise.

About one month ago I noticed fleas again.

I gave up on flea collars and started using Advantage on the eighth
of last month.

I started checking their (my two cats) feces for worms segments,
haven't seen any.

For many months, I've been using plastic grocery store bags inside
of a hard plastic container to store used litter before taking it
out to the trash. I've noticed some moisture (condensed water) at
the top of the plastic bag sometimes when I open it. It isn't sealed
between uses, the plastic bag is just folded over.

Here's the weird part. Just today when I opened the plastic, using a
bright flashlight I could see dozens or more of live tapeworm
segments on the inner sides of the plastic bag.

I've been using Tidy Cats Scoop Small Spaces cat litter for I guess
at least six months.

Can tapeworms thrive/multiply outside of an animal? These babies
looked healthy. Obviously they weren't there all of a sudden.
Somehow they migrated to the sides of the plastic bag.

Conceivably a significant length of tapeworm got into a litter and
then came apart all at once?

I suppose it sounds incriminating, but I've been checking their
feces. And of course they will be treated for tapeworms very soon.
I'd also like to nuke the fleas so it doesn't happen again. I think
I've seen a couple of fleas since using the Advantage, so I'm
somewhat annoyed, with three months worth left.

Thank you.

Old June 4th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"John Doe" wrote in message

Here's the weird part. Just today when I opened the plastic, using a
bright flashlight I could see dozens or more of live tapeworm
segments on the inner sides of the plastic bag.

Are you sure you aren't seeing maggots or other larval creatures?
You'd need a microscope and a good textbook to be sure IMO.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old June 4th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Regardless, you are keeping the poop in the house for wayyy
too long, man. Ugh.

Old June 4th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I don't think tapeworm egg sacks last very long after coming out of the
pet. The things we see, the "rice," are not babies but wiggling sacks
containing eggs. The sack dies, the eggs are released, fleas eat the
eggs, our pets eat the fleas and get tapeworms.

I think what you saw were maggots. Sounds like it's time to rethink the
cat litter plan...

Rhonda

Old June 4th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rhonda wrote:

I don't think tapeworm egg sacks last very long after coming out
of the pet. The things we see, the "rice," are not babies but
wiggling sacks containing eggs.

I thought those were a tapeworm replica that breaks off and grows
into a whole tapeworm. Thanks for the clarification.

The sack dies, the eggs are released, fleas eat the
eggs, our pets eat the fleas and get tapeworms.

I think what you saw were maggots.

Assuming they were maggots, is there a threat to my cats? I suppose
they live on the outside unlike tapeworms. Thank you.

Rhonda

Old June 4th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I wrote:

... is there a threat to my cats?

To be clear, I mean any lingering threat from the single instance. Of
course it won't happen again.
Old June 4th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"John Doe" wrote in message
I wrote:

... is there a threat to my cats?

To be clear, I mean any lingering threat from the single instance. Of
course it won't happen again.

I cannot imagine there would be any threat. I would disinfect the area
really well, though, just in case. I don't know about their larvae (maggots)
but flies sure do cause disease.

Old June 5th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

John Doe wrote:

I wrote:

... is there a threat to my cats?

To be clear, I mean any lingering threat from the single instance. Of
course it won't happen again.

I haven't heard of it being a problem with cats -- it is a huge problem
with rabbits. If their rear is wet or dirty and the maggots hatch there,
they burrow into the skin and actually kill rabbits.

If the maggots were not on the cat, I think you're okay.

Rhonda