Cats peeing on down comforter.

Old June 18th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cats peeing on down comforter.

Like many cat owners it seems, I am having trouble with my cats (one of them
alone I think) peeing where they shouldn't. Most noteably on my down
comforter. I picked it up from the dry-cleaners on Thursday (for the third
time); Saturday night I go to bed to put my hand in sopping cat pee. There
seems to be alot of ideas around about what is going on, but I figured I'd
tell everyone I can what my scenario is so hopefully together all of us can
piece this together.

Firstly, my arrangement is this: 2yo M, 3yo F, both "fixed", all claws,
seemingly well adjusted although the girl is kinda emotional. 700SqFt
apartment w/ me and my fiancee. She brought them from her tiny 200SqFt studio,
where they never peed outside the litter box despite terrible maintenance of
litter box (I clean it now). So now they move in and start peeing on clothes
and the down comforter (not right away though).
-My fiancee didn't have a down comforter.
-They don't pee on other blankets.
-I sometimes forget to clean the box for a day, BUT they've never had litter
so clean and I use Feline Pine litter, so at worst there might be a couple
#2's in there - the urine is absorbed, odor being locked and the water
disappears or something - it expands the litter pellets into sawdust by some
sort of voodoo magic that I don't fully comprehend (if you haven't tried this
stuff you HAVE to check it out).
-It seems she mostly does it when the bed is unmade, making a nice soft pile
of down to squat on - she (or they?) have also peed on soft piles of clean
clothes in a clothes basket, but not in the dirty clothes - the boy just
sleeps in there.
-I can't completely rule out a UTI, but the comforter was at the cleaners for
weeks and no peeing - bring it back and...

Ok, so my questions right now are these.
1. Why Me?!
2. Maybe the smell doesn't come completely out at the cleaners?
3. Should I buy a new comforter? Could've bought one for the price of
cleaners bills.
4. Is she really getting that mad that she's out of food, or that mommy's
gone for the day or something?
5. Is there another way to clean comforter for $30? Or a better way maybe?

I don't know what to do, but I have one puzzle piece that I haven't seen
anyone mention. I am wondering if anyone else has/could make this connection.

I think that the first time she peed on the bed it was after giving them
Advantage flea drops. 2 weeks later, adult fleas still to be found, so used
again. This time I woke up that night to her scratching furiously at the
comforter like she was play fighting with it. She looked at me with these
crazy eyes and kept scratching. I shooed her away only to wake up in the
morning to find that she had pooped on the bed - she was trying to bury it. I
think she was very embarrased about it. I got mad at her, and when I picked
her up I noticed that she was all wet on her belly. I smelled my hand and it
smelled like pesticide. She had been licking herself furiously all night and
I'm sure that a drop of Advantage ran down to somewhere where she got to it.
Thinking back to the first episode, I remembered that she had been acting
very strangely the morning after flea drops. SO, my thought is that the
pesticide screwed her up somehow, maybe making her incontinent or something.
The next time we did the drops we were very careful not to put too much in
one spot so it wouldn't run (still all on back of neck and head of course),
locked them in bathroom overnight and they seemed perfectly fine. I finally
have a flea free house after treating all carpets & upholstery with
permethrin and 3mos of Advantage, but now I get peed on for it!

Anyone have any (good) advice?
I hope she's peeing there because the smell still exists somehow and her
initial reason was because she was mildly poisoned by a friggin' neurotoxin.
How do I clean it all properly AND make it stop? Please help!

#2's in there - the urine is absorbed, odor being locked and the water
[...]

There is a possibility that the stress from moving to a new location could
have triggered urinary tract problems. Take her to the vet and have a urine
test run.

In the mean time you might want to pick up a Feliway (comfort zone)
diffuser. It mimics the facial pheromes the cat uses to mark safe territory.
I think I'd leave the down comforter off the bed and put away the clean
clothes promptly until you find out what is causing the inappropriate
urination.

Old June 19th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Nick,

I would, like the others said, get her to a vet and make sure she's
okay. She very well could have a medical problem.

In the meantime, I'd store the comforter and not tempt fate. For
whatever reason -- that's the target. You can buy an inexpensive quilt
at most discount stores, which would help for now. I bought a cheap one
that doesn't look that bad, because I want to clean it often. The
drycleaners would cost a fortune, like you said.

We've also had a cat with bladder problems, he had crystals in his
urine. Even after we got that cleared up, the amount of hair the cats
can leave on the bed is amazing!

By the way, one thing I learned on our journey was that some cats get
bladder problems after moving to a new home because they are scared and
hold their urine. They hold it long enough that they develop an infection.

One other thing I did was get a plastic shower curtain liner and lay it
over the bed after we got up. Just to be sure -- I also put a plastic
fitted sheet under the regular sheet. Anything to make things easier and
protect the bed (and deter the cat!) while you get things straightened
out. Shutting the bedroom door is always an option too.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old June 19th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

NickA wrote:

snip cat pee issues

First thing: Take the cat to the vet and rule out urinary issues. There
could be an infection, or crystals, or chronic renal failure.

Second thing: I'd ditch the feline pine litter. Switch to a non-scented
scoopable litter. Might as well add a second box, too. Was the box in the
other house covered? If it was, provide a covered box. If it wasn't, make
sure you have a non-covered box available. What kind of litter was the cat
on before the move?

If the cat is still peeing on the comforter after a vet check and a litter
switch, I'd consider contacting a behaviorist. I spoke with one quite
awhile ago regarding inappropriate urination, and she helped solve my kitty
problems.

Corey

Old June 19th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You've got one thing right. You can't rule out a urinary tract infection
unless you are a vet. What you may not realize is that such an infection
can usually be fixed up with a pill a day for 10 days. If this is the
problem your cat is very uncomfortable and needs this taken care of right
away.

Please, see a vet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old June 19th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for all the responses. I will have her checked out at the vet, I think
she's due anyway as mommy couldn't really afford the vet before. I know UTI's
are easy to treat (usually). After thinking about what you all said though I
think the problem is that she is scared. At least twice she has done it after
she got the flea drops, and this time my brother, whom she isn't familiar
with was over. Also she peed ALOT, so maybe she *was* holding it and didn't
want to leave the safety of the bedroom to go. I have noticed before
unusually large urine transactions on her part. Knowing her personality it
makes alot of sense. Guess I'll have to keep the door closed or try the
plastic and feliway. I think that worked before with one of my moms cats if I
remember.

About cleaning though, any special recommendations? Thanks again.

Old June 22nd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Have you taken this cat in to have him checked out and his urine tested for
UTI?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old June 22nd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default cat hates this man

NickA wrote:
Like many cat owners it seems, I am having trouble with my cats (one of them

Nick, I got news for you

Your cat is just getting even with you

have you ever pee'd in his bed?

his favorite resting spot?

You ever just rared back and sprayed him?

NOOoo... you wouldn't think of it

my guess is that the cat can't stand you're hypocrisy anymore

you can dress it up, dress it down, the little ****er hates you enough
to **** in your nice clean bed...

It's your choice

damn the smell, he don't care! there was a first time... that he peed
where there was no smell...

Mend your ways Nick, cat is not a toy, cat has feelings too

you think you can keep his litter box nasty like you do
you think you never have to change the water or clean his food dish

cat is just giving you what you gave him , pure ol T nasty

You sew funk you reap funk