New Here, Sick Cat... help, please?

Old June 21st 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default New Here, Sick Cat... help, please?

Is there a vet on this board who can tell me what's going on w/ my cat?

She is about 8 years old, medium length fur, and for the last two days she
hasn't been able to keep anything down for more than a couple hours, even
water. We've just moved, so there are boxes everywhere, and Monday when I
was sorting through one I came across a container of jewelry cleaner that had
spilled... it's entirely possible that she got some of that on her paws &
licked it off grooming, but no way to be sure. In the past she's shown a
fondness for packing peanuts!!! I've not let her have anything but water
yesterday & today, & she's vomiting less, but still is. Other than the
vomiting, she seems completely normal... behaving like herself, pupils
responding to light & darkness properly, her coordination is fine, etc.
She's seeming very interested in grass, so I let her out into the yard this
morning & she ate a good bit... so far it's staying down...

And before anyone reads me the "TAKE HER TO A VET" riot act, be aware of our
situation. Finances are extremely tight right now, and we just moved to a
new state. I don't have the money to take her to a brand new vet and say
"Find out what's wrong", and get slammed with a battery of tests.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Is there anything OTC or household common
that knowledgeable persons can suggest giving to her, will this eventually
clear up on its own, or do I need to get her to a vet NOW? The one vet I
know (back in Indiana, we're in WY) says if she'd gotten enough of whatever
it was to kill her, she'd already be dead...

Help, please? This was my mom's cat, and we lost Mom last Christmas... I
would be very upset if Checkers died...
Old June 21st 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"WorththeWait" u23279@uwe wrote

Help, please? This was my mom's cat, and we lost Mom last Christmas... I
would be very upset if Checkers died...

She needs to see a vet, you know that. Cats dehydrate fast and
when that happens they die fast without immediate attention.

I had this situation with my cat years ago and took her in and they
gave her pills to stop her from vomiting.

Make no assumptions about vets--go in and tell them "I'm
worried about my cat but I don't have a lot of money for
a whole bunch of tests."

Old June 21st 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"WorththeWait" u23279@uwe wrote
I've not let her have anything but water
yesterday & today, & she's vomiting less, but still is.

Also, this is not the thing to do. Why have you not given her
food for two days? That alone could get her into trouble.
I really do not understand this.

Old June 21st 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hello WWW,

Going to the vet may not be as expensive as you think. The appointment
itself is not all that much. The vet will not run tests and rack up the
charges unless you agree to it.

Just take her in and talk to the vet and go from there.

OTC is not going to help her now. If she got into something poisonous,
you can call poison control and they tell you to have her throw up or
not, but that time is long past.

If cats don't eat for a day or so, they start getting fatty liver
disease. Cats are one animal that cannot fast without fairly immediate
health problems. So on top of that, your cat may be getting dehydrated.
Pull up the skin in a tent in the back of her neck and see if it snaps
back into place when you release it. If it goes down slowly, she is
dehydrated too.

This is your mom's cat, sounds like she's been through a lot in six
months, do what is right for her.

Rhonda

Old June 21st 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Did the snap-back test already, I've been watching that., she's not
dehydrated.. she's drinking, and it's not so much that I haven't LET her eat,
as she hasn't wanted to... though this seems to be gradually changing. She's
after me for grass again, so I know she's hungry, but that's all she seems to
want, she's barely touching her food. We gave her a bath last night & that
seemed to help... once she got over being mad at me for getting her wet, that
is!!! She must have had some of whatever it was still on her fur.

It seems to be becoming a matter of having too much to eat/drink at once...
small amounts of her cat grass/food are staying down, and water doesn't seem
to be upsetting her anymore.

But, yes, I am taking her to the town vet... there's only one, it's a very
small town...
Old June 21st 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Just got back... believe it or not, the vet said keeping her off food & just
letting her have water was the right thing to do, and to keep it that way for
the rest of today. Gave her a shot & some liquid antibiotics to start her on
tomorrow morning, and said to let her have a little food tomorrow if she
wants it... Poor baby, she's so mad at me. She's calling me every bad word
in the cat lexicon at the moment. And she's going to get even madder, 'cuz
she needs a bath... but that can wait.
Old June 21st 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"WorththeWait" u23279@uwe wrote in message news:621de3d6141e9@uwe...
Just got back... believe it or not, the vet said keeping her off food &

just
letting her have water was the right thing to do, and to keep it that way

for
the rest of today. Gave her a shot & some liquid antibiotics to start her

on
tomorrow morning, and said to let her have a little food tomorrow if she
wants it... Poor baby, she's so mad at me. She's calling me every bad

word
in the cat lexicon at the moment. And she's going to get even madder,

'cuz
she needs a bath... but that can wait.

Antibiotics? What for?

Old June 21st 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mild antibiotics to counter possible stomach infection, plus something else
(don't remember the name) mixed in to help settle her stomach & gut.
Old June 21st 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"WorththeWait" u23279@uwe wrote in message news:621e173a8c09a@uwe...
Mild antibiotics to counter possible stomach infection, plus something

else
(don't remember the name) mixed in to help settle her stomach & gut.

Well I hope she recovers quickly.

Old June 22nd 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"WorththeWait" u23279@uwe wrote in message news:621cd575719f9@uwe...

And before anyone reads me the "TAKE HER TO A VET" riot act, be aware of
our
situation. Finances are extremely tight right now, and we just moved to
new state. I don't have the money to take her to a brand new vet and say
"Find out what's wrong", and get slammed with a battery of tests.

Unfortunately, taking your cat to a vet is the only way you can find out
what's wrong and treat it. No legitimate vet is going to give you a
diagnosis online.