Otto's lab results, vaccination question

Old June 23rd 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Otto's lab results, vaccination question

There was a message from the vet on my answering machine when I got home
tonight. Otto had blood drawn yesterday in preparation for his dental work.
The vet said everything looked good except his lymphocytes were elevated (I
think that's what she said). When he went in for the blood draw yesterday
the vet said that his lymph nodes were swollen. She said that it's probably
nothing to worry about and it could just be an infection due to the bad
condition of his teeth. She managed to pry his mouth wide open yesterday
and I got a good look inside and I wanted to cry. I know that he'll be
losing some of the teeth. He eats mainly wet food and even when he gets
dry, he doesn't chew it so I'm not really worried about how he'll eat. I'll
have to call back tomorrow and set up the appointment for the actual dental
work.

Also, yesterday the vet asked about his last round of shots and asked if I
wanted to get him updated. I *think* his last shots were in 2002. Then I
kept reading horror stories about complications from them, or how they were
not needed for indoor-only cats. Otto (and Isaac) are strictly indoor
apartment cats. I don't want to give him anything that he doesn't need so
I'm not sure if I want them to give him any vaccinations during his teeth
cleaning. Any thoughts? Are there any shots that he should get, even if
he's an indoor apartment cat?

--
Liz

Old June 23rd 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hi Liz,

Sorry Otto is having teeth problems. I know that can cause so many other
issues. One of our cats had a plugged nostril on one side and an
infected eye because of his teeth. I'm glad you're getting his fixed.

The only shot we worry about here is the distemper pack (I believe it
has the "kitty cold" things in too.) Our vet thinks about once every 3
years. I don't know about doing it with the teeth -- I think you should
talk that over with the vet. The distemper one can give them a fever for
a day or so and I don't know if that would affect his recovery from his
dental cleaning. I'd almost be inclined to do it at another time, unless
your vet reassures you.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old June 23rd 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I would do the vacinnations at another time, too. Don't do the feline
luekemia shot. That is one that is ripe with causing skin sarcoma. I
lost a kitty to this form of cancer a few years back. Thought I was
doing the "right" thing. And, of course the vet was happy to take my
money.

Old June 23rd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I think we'll be skipping any/all shots. I just spoke to the vet and he
mentioned that Otto's lymphocytes were slightly elevated, which is what the
other vet had said on the message she left. They both think it's just due
to his teeth. I asked about starting him on an antibiotic before the
cleaning/extraction and he said that was a good idea. So this weekend I'll
pick up a bottle of clindomycin (?), which the vet said to start giving on
Monday. Otto's appointment is on Thursday. My poor baby will not be happy
but I think he'll feel a whole lot better once his mouth is cleaned up.

--
Liz

Old June 24th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Elizabeth Blake wrote:Also, yesterday the vet asked about his last
round of shots and asked if I
wanted to get him updated. I *think* his last shots were in 2002. Then I
kept reading horror stories about complications from them, or how they were
not needed for indoor-only cats. Otto (and Isaac) are strictly indoor
apartment cats. I don't want to give him anything that he doesn't need so
I'm not sure if I want them to give him any vaccinations during his teeth
cleaning. Any thoughts? Are there any shots that he should get, even if
he's an indoor apartment cat?

If he was my cat, I wouldn't be getting him vaccinations, especially
with the elevated blood level. The cleaning will put stress on his
immune system too.

Lauren

See my cats: http://mickeymeesha.photosite.com/mm/