When is it "time"?

Old June 29th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brucefan

Default When is it "time"?

One of our cats seems like she's going downhill....she's 16 years old.
For the past 2 months or so, she has trouble walking around, her back
legs just seem to give out and sometimes her head just starts twitching
uncontrollably...then she'll howl and try to walk but just stumbles and
falls. She can't scratch herself or she'll just fall over. Sometimes
now when she goes to the litter box, we find her laying in it...like
she's too tired after going to get out. She cries all the time and
just seems miserable....sometimes she even seems scared. The only time
she seems ok is when we just hold her in our lap. We've taken her to
the vet...they did blood tests which looked ok but she does have a
heart murmur...basically they just say "she's 16 years old...there's
not much we can do without spending thousands to maybe prolong her life
6 months". We just don't know what to do....I'm not the type to put
down a cat because it's convenient...but at the same time I don't want
her to suffer because we feel guilty doing it. She still eats (if you
put the bowl in front of her) and still drinks alot which makes me
think she still wants to live. So how do you know when it's time?!
Obviously this is the first pet I've ever had to make this type of
decision for and it's torture.

Old June 29th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rachel

Get a second opinion. My 18 year old cat has the same symptoms.
Through research I think it could be one of three things,
hyperthyroidism, diabetes, or kidney failure. I'm taking my cat in on
Satuday I'll let you know what I find out. To ease my cat's burdens
I've made a lower litter box without high sides out of a rubbermaid bin
top and put it and wet food on a dish each day in his favorite room. I
have also made sure there is plenty of water available and near by as
well. My cat seems a lot happier despite his symptoms.

Good Luck,
Rachel

Old June 29th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Bruce this is a decision that all pet lovers never want to face. The only
thing I can say is you will know when it is time. This decision needs to be
based on facts not all emotions that may sound cold and cruel but you have
your loved one to think of. You need to think about the quality of her life
and how it has been affected and effected

To put your mind at ease you may want to go to another vet and make sure
there is nothing that you can do so there is no doubt.

This is going to be your hardest decision you have ever made but you have to
be strong and do the right thing. You will know when it is time to do what
is best there is no easy answer for this

Purrs and Hugs for you

oups.com...

Old June 29th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

"Brucefan" wrote in message
We just don't know what to do....I'm not the type to put
down a cat because it's convenient...but at the same time I don't want
her to suffer because we feel guilty doing it. She still eats (if you
put the bowl in front of her) and still drinks alot which makes me
think she still wants to live. So how do you know when it's time?!
Obviously this is the first pet I've ever had to make this type of
decision for and it's torture.

It's a tough call and no matter what you decide you may always wonder if you
did the right thing. A percentage of pet owners wait too long IMO, and some
jump the gun too soon simply out of a need to have it be over. Neither type
owner can be too harshly judged IMO as both are feeling as they do out of
love.

Make a list of the things she loves most- looking out a favorite window,
sleeping in your lap, etc., and when she can no longer enjoy these things
then it is time IMO.

Since you wrote:

She cries all the time and
just seems miserable....sometimes she even seems scared.
The only time she seems ok is when we just hold her in our lap.

I would guess her quality of life is beginning to wane. I suggest one more
veterinary visit to double/triple check that there is no pain management or
other treatments possible- this to assuage your guilt as much as anything
else. It is also a good time to talk over in office vs. at home euthanasia
so you understand what your options are.

Then take her home, watch her, and look deeply into her eyes when you talk
to her. She will tell you when she is ready to go.

A calm humane death (at home IMO) is the last great gift you will ever be
able to give her. It will be very difficult for you, but you have to set
your own feelings aside and think only about what is best for her. Be as
strong as you can be for the procedure- try and offer her loving support and
as calm a goodbye as you can muster.
Try and remember how much she gave you instead fo how much you are losing.

It is never easy.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old June 29th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

16 isn't that old. Please take your kitty back or to another vet and
make sure they test for hyperthyroidism. For some reason, they don't
look for this and it sounds like that is what your kitty has. It is
simple to treat and inexpensive. A blood test will give you the
results. I had a cat live to be over 20 who was diagnosed with
hyperthyroidism at age 18. Take your kitty back for another blood
test.

Old June 29th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Brucefan wrote:
[...]

It is torture and my heart goes out to you. I made the decision just
over a year ago for my beloved old dog, Tosh. I still second-guess
myself. Here's a link that might help:
http://angelshavenhere.homestead.com...edecision.html

-L.

Old June 29th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brucefan

Well I appreciate the kind words and advice everyone's given me. I was
able to make an appt. for tonight at another vet so hopefully they can
give me a little more insight. I gotta figure if she's still drinking
and eating normally that it can't be too late to help her out. What's
making it worse is that my wife and I both work so I worry about her
during the day...will she fall down the stairs or fall off the chair
when we're not home and break her neck or something. We have 2 other
cats too and sometimes one of them beats her up...they used to play
with each other all the time and now he doesn't understand why she's
not so he tries to instigate her. Ugh...pets...gotta love em but this
part is so hard.

Also thanks for the tip on home euthanasia...I didn't know some vets
would do that. Seems like a much more humane way to do it...in an
environment they know and without any fear. (hopefully we're not at
that stage yet but it's good to know).

Old June 29th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

"Brucefan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Also thanks for the tip on home euthanasia...I didn't know some vets
would do that. Seems like a much more humane way to do it...in an
environment they know and without any fear. (hopefully we're not at
that stage yet but it's good to know).

Not all veterinarians will come to your home- some do, some don't.

My last euthanasia was this past October- the dog (an Irish Wolfhound) was
unable to walk, and too large to easily move, so I looked in the yellow
pages and found a mobile vet. He came once to look her over and get to know
us and our situation, and a couple of weeks later when it truly was time he
returned for the procedure. He was great- I can'rtsay enough about how well
he handled everything- very respectful of both the dog and our grief.

If you are really in the planning ahead stage it is worth asking if the
"come to your home" people will remove the remains for cremation or
disposal. In our case the dog was simply too large for him to handle and we
preferred to take her to the crematory ourselves anyway, but I have had
smaller pets taken away by the home vets for cremation/disposal.

Sorry to bring up such disturbing topics, but to me, planning ahead makes a
terrible task proceed somewhat smoother, and disposal is something not
everyone remembers to make plans for.

Best wishes...

Old June 30th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Brucefan wrote:

think she still wants to live. So how do you know when it's time?!
Obviously this is the first pet I've ever had to make this type of
decision for and it's torture.

Have had bloodwork done?

If not, I would do that immediately. THat will tell you fairly quickly
if there is something treatbale, or if it is beyond help.

Last year, Maynard seemed fine but suddenly had yellow ears, a very bad
sign. The day before, I ahad been planning a birthday party. I was
going to be at a cat show as a vendor on his 19th birthday, so I
figured I would have a cake with his photo and a little photo display.
I do photography, so it would be a cute way to get people over to look.

Then, I saw his ears. I took him to the vet the next morning. He was
still actibing fine, eating, drinking, etc. But I could tell by the way
the vets were talking, that this was much more serious, and that we
were mostly likely at the end of his life.

I did the bloodwork in the hopes that there really was an infection
that could be treated, and i started doing at-home sub-q injections to
see if that helped. But it was clear from the bloodwork results that
this was liver failure, and the best we could do was keep him
comfortable. After 2 days, he quit eating, and I knew he was ready to
go.

I took him in on the 3rd day. We don't have a vet that will come to the
house, but they did come out to the car, so I could stay there with him
on my lap, in privacy and love him up.

I know that I made an informed decision. I had the bloodowkr results
with liver values way off the charts. I knew it would only torture him
to try and do further treatment. And the bloodwork bought me 3 days to
love him up and make sure I was making a rational informed decision.

Even though I ended up losing him 3 days later, I believe it was money
well spent. I have also decided to do bloodwork more often with my
other pets. Kira is much younger, only 12, but as she is my stress
kitty, and acting older than she should, I will do hers more often.
Right now, she is acting healthy, and her results are good, so I will
do it every 6-8 months, rather than once a year. If she gives me reason
earlier, I will do it sooner. In a year or so, I will increase it to
every 4-6 months. I want the opportunity to treat things earlier.

Old June 30th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article .com,
says...
[...]

You're lucky to have a pragmatic vet. I've had to break mine in. After
the $1,300 I spent on Cosimo only to have to euthanize him I told the
vet that if they knew what was going on, why did we prolong his life?

My 16 year old is still active but he does sleep a lot more. He's right
next to me now. Still, he's definitely MY cat.