Food questions, PLEASE give some input

Old July 7th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sharkman BMW

Default Food questions, PLEASE give some input

I have been feeding my 7 year old cats Eukanuba since birth, both are
healthy.
I have been researching the net to find the best food available and I keep
getting the same top contenders.
I have never heard of these, and would greatly appreciate some input from
those of you in the know.

For canned I found Natural Balance Ultra Premium,
and for dry it was Innova.

I was able to find a dealer near me, so if I can get some feedback on these
products from the group, it would be great.

All reviews on the net seemed to be based on one site...
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/tp/tpcannedadult.htm

I would like to get some other input.
Thanks,
Chris

Old July 7th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Sharkman BMW" wrote in message
I have been feeding my 7 year old cats Eukanuba since birth, both are
healthy.
I have been researching the net to find the best food available and I keep
getting the same top contenders.
I have never heard of these, and would greatly appreciate some input from
those of you in the know.

For canned I found Natural Balance Ultra Premium,
and for dry it was Innova.

I was able to find a dealer near me, so if I can get some feedback on

these
products from the group, it would be great.

All reviews on the net seemed to be based on one site...
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/tp/tpcannedadult.htm

I would like to get some other input.
Thanks,
Chris

Why not form your own ideas on what cats, who are obligate carnivores, need
in their daily diets?

Quality protein, such as canned foods with meat, chicken or fish as the
first
ingredient instead of "meat byproducts," along with no grains such as corn
meal
or wheat gluten made all the difference in my cats' coats, eyes, and
behavior.

I don't think it is about a particular brand. I think they need quality meat
with
added elements like taurine--you can find this in any number of cat foods on
your grocery shelves, including some varities of Fancy Feast.

Old July 7th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kiran

:
: For canned I found Natural Balance Ultra Premium, and for dry it
: was Innova.
:
: I was able to find a dealer near me, so if I can get some feedback on
: these products from the group, it would be great.

Most of their meals should be canned, use dry only as treats or when
the food must be left out for them to leat later.

Other things to look for:

Quality protein: Named meat or organ (chicken, chicken liver, etc) as
first few ingredients, rather than "byproduct" "meal" "dinner"
"flavor" or "with" (you want "chicken", not "with chicken"). I suggest
chicken or turkey, keeping beef, lamb, seafood as occasional treats.

Low carbohydrates: Cats' bodies---miniature tigers---are desgined to
eat meat, NOT fruits, veggies, or grains; to them latter are about as
healthy as potato chips and sugar camdy are to you. In nature cats get
about 3% of their calories from carbs, so try to keep it under 10%.
That is surprisingly difficult even with canned food and impossible
with dry.

Low phosphorous: Manufacturerrs don't mention it on the packaging, but
it is very important and many will provide the numbers if you call.

You can get some info from the following pages:

http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/dryfood.html

Natural Balance Ultra canned is a bit high in carbs, and very high in
phophorous. So, sadly, as my cat loves the taste, only an occasional
treat.

As dry foods go, Innova is ok. But remember ok canned is *much* better
than ok dry...

Use common sense. If they eat something everyday, you have to be very
careful about it. OTOH, if something is merely an occasionl treat, then
let their taste dictate.

Unless you know what you are doing, no people food. Chocolates,
tomatoes, onions, many herbs can be toxic to them. Milk can lead to
tummy trouble, a spoonful of plain yogurt is much better if you feel
the urge.

Most cats do love canned tuna packed in water (not oil), but it is very
high in sodium (which s not so great for people either and cats as
well), so no more than once a month.