Putting an "inside" car outside

Old July 7th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
123456789

Default Putting an "inside" car outside

I have 3 cats. One of them is a 28 pound cat that I found when he was just
a few weeks old. That was in August 2000.

Recently, he has started peeing and pooping in places other than the litter
box. The vet says there is nothing medically wrong with him. My wife
always hated the cat and was always ****ed at me for keeping him and not
letting someone else take him. This latest peeing and pooping adventure was
the last straw for her and he put her food down! We have a 14 month old and
she (and I) don't want out son crawling and walking around the house through
cat **** and crap, so she gave me three options:

1. Bring the cat to the vet and put him down, which I am not going to do.

2. Give the cat away. That's no good, no one wants a fat cat that ****es
and carps in the house.

3. Put him outside. That is the option I took.

I have a big dog house out in the back years, and a fully fenced years (six
foot) which the cat is to fat to jump over. He had been hanging out in the
dog house for the most part.

I know many of you will say I am cruel for putting him out, but I wanted to
know if anyone has ever done the same? How did the cat take to outdoor
life?

Any comments about making an indoor car and outdoor car would be
appreciated.

Old July 7th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

He might do well in an indoor home where he is the only cat. Do you know
someone who might take him and provide him with a good home? Also, for 3
indoor cats you need 4 litter boxes. They should have no scent scoopable
litter and no hoods on them. Do you have this in your home?
Gail

Old July 7th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
123456789

I have had these three cats for over six years and they have done just fine
with 2 litter boxes with no hoods, so I don't think that is the issue.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that would be willing to take hi in.

nk.net...

Old July 7th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

123456789 wrote:

I have had these three cats for over six years and they have done just fine
with 2 litter boxes with no hoods, so I don't think that is the issue.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that would be willing to take hi in.

I had three cats for several years who did fine on two litterboxes. One
day a tomcat started hanging around my house, consequently one of my
own cats started marking, primarily urinating. I cleaned the spots
where he urinated thoroughly, put out two more boxes in a different
room and made sure to pay a lot of attention to him. His behavior
stopped within about two weeks. After a week months, I managed to trap
the tomcat and get him neutered. He consequently was never seen at my
house any more (he is still hanging around the neighborhood). Once he
disappeared, I reverted back to two boxes and things are fine. I was
lucky in so far as the trigger for the behavior was easy to define.

I wouldn't recommend keeping your cat outside after he's been indoor
only for six years. He's not used to it and it's just not fair to
deprive him of the companionship and attention. Try adding litterboxes
in another area of the house (the other cats may pick on him and
prevent him going to the current boxes), and/or try to find him a new
home as a single cat. You may want to keep him in a room on his own
overnight to reduce the stress on everyone in the home until you can
find him a home (or until he curbs his behavior!). If he is very
overweight, his obesity may actually be part of the problem. Separating
him at night will make it easier to put him on a diet if he only has
access to his food overnight.

Old July 7th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

wrote in message
ups.com...

123456789 wrote:

I have had these three cats for over six years and they have done just
fine
with 2 litter boxes with no hoods, so I don't think that is the issue.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that would be willing to take hi in.

I had three cats for several years who did fine on two litterboxes. One
day a tomcat started hanging around my house, consequently one of my
own cats started marking, primarily urinating.

After a week months, I managed to trap
the tomcat and get him neutered. He consequently was never seen at my
house any more (he is still hanging around the neighborhood).

Just putting out a feeler on this subject and similar soultions to problem
animals......

When I lived in Florida, a dog in the neighborhood was quite a pain in the
ass with its incessant barking over nothing. The dog was left outside for
about 18 hours a day and sometimes for a few days at a time. It disappeared
one day. A few days later it showed up back on the chain in its own yard.
There was a small shaved spot on its throat. Someone had taken the dog to a
vet and had its vocal cords clipped - surgical debarking. Since this was on
the other side of the block from me, I'm not fully informed about how much
opportunity the offended neighbors gave the owner of the dog to correct the
situation.

Question - do the majority of people here feel it permissable to subject a
nuisance animal that does not belong to them to surgical remedy strictly for
their own convenience? I do make the distinction between a cat being
neutered to stop unwanted behavior and the more unconventional approach to
dealing with a barking dog - again to stop unwanted behavior. How far is
going too far? Although the disruption of the barking dog was minimal to me,
I honestly have to say that I didn't miss hearing it bark.

Old July 7th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ryan Robbins

"123456789" wrote in message news:PPurg.268$ZD.108@trndny02...

Any comments about making an indoor car and outdoor car would be
appreciated.

This sounds like a troll. I wouldn't respond.

Old July 8th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
123456789

Default Putting an "inside" cat outside

He spent the day outside with no problem today. He even seemed to enjoy it,
running all over the yard and then hanging out in the dog house.

"He's not used to it and it's just not fair to
deprive him of the companionship and attention"

As for that, Squikie was always the most unaffectionate cat I have ever
seen. I would never come and sit with us, never liked to be pet and never
was all that friendly. Maybe my wife was right when she told me that he was
always meant to be an outside cat.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 8th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
123456789

Default Could not do it

After having him out there for a day, I decided that I could not bear to
keep my fat guy out there like that, so I brought him back in and my wife
and I will work it out.

Old July 8th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Please make sure you add another litter box and place in somewhere else in
the house. What was sufficient before may not be now (regarding the two
litter boxes). You can also try retraining him with the litter box. Restrict
him to one room with litter box, food, water, and a bed. Make sure the food
and water is away from the box. Gradually, as he uses the box, you can
increase the area he is allowed in. A third option is to have him see a vet
and to start him on an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication. This
often helps for litter box problems.
Gail

Old July 8th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"123456789" wrote in message news:_sErg.93$ZI2.47@trndny06...
After having him out there for a day, I decided that I could not bear to
keep my fat guy out there like that, so I brought him back in and my wife
and I will work it out.

I feel so relieved. Good for you. You are a good person.