Overweight Cat-Retaining Water?

Old July 9th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Winnifred

Default Overweight Cat-Retaining Water?

I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
today so that gave me the idea. my other two cats are lean and normal
size.

Old July 9th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Winnifred" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
today so that gave me the idea. my other two cats are lean and normal
size.

No, drinking a lot actually helps you lose water, not retain it.

Get your cat off of dry food. Feed him canned food twice a day
twelve hours apart. Begin with a large can (5.5 oz) twice a day.
If he does not lose, cut it by one quarter. (Split one and one half
5.5 oz cans of food a day.) He will lose then. If he plateaus, cut
it by one-quarter again.

Check with your vet first--but this is what my vet told me to do
and my kitty went from 18 lbs to 8 lbs. I think it saved her life.
Also, she has more energy now and a prettier coat. However,
she is very assertive, and I think she was plotting to kill me there
for a while, during the first months of her diet.

Old July 9th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Winnifred" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
today so that gave me the idea. my other two cats are lean and normal
size.

Winnie--this cannot be stressed enough--water is very, very good for
your cats. Water is not the problem. Not enough water can kill them.

Old July 9th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Winnifred" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good advice, but be sure to have a medical checkup first (just as cybercat
recommended). In particular, ask about the possibility of medical problems
such as diabetes, kidney disease, or thryoid problems. In general, we try
to get our cats to drink *more* water (which is only one of the benefits of
a canned food diet), but your statement about your cat drinking an "awful
lot" of water should lead to a medical evaluation first.

MaryL

Old July 9th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

Good advice, but be sure to have a medical checkup first (just as cybercat
recommended). In particular, ask about the possibility of medical
problems such as diabetes, kidney disease, or thryoid problems. In
general, we try to get our cats to drink *more* water (which is only one
of the benefits of a canned food diet), but your statement about your cat
drinking an "awful lot" of water should lead to a medical evaluation
first.

MaryL

The symptom of excessive thirst is a classic diabetes calling card. Coupled
with the excess weight, it would seem a rather urgent indicator.

Old July 11th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Please put your cat on diet food!!! The problem with cutting the
portions of your cat's normal food is that it is not formulated to be
meeting specific nutrition needs for less than the recommended
portions. Yes of course just not giving them enough food will make them
skinny but it will also be starving them. Your kitty need a high
quality prescription diet food such as Hill's Science Diet r/d or m/d
that you can get from your vet. These are formulated to help you kitty
shed the unecessary and harmful extra weight.

Also, I agree with the previous posts, get your kitty to the vet and
run some bloodwork because excessive thirst is a first warning sign of
diabetes or thyroid problems. Remember, a couple of extra pounds on you
kitty is like a couple extra 100 pounds for you.

Good luck with your cat!!

Old July 11th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Winnifred wrote:
I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
today

He may be diabetic as thirst is a sign of diabetes. Drinking water is
not the problem. If he is otherwise healthy, your cat needs to be on a
high-protein, lower-carb canned diet to help shed the pounds.

-L.

Old July 11th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message
oups.com...
Please put your cat on diet food!!! The problem with cutting the
portions of your cat's normal food is that it is not formulated to be
meeting specific nutrition needs for less than the recommended
portions. Yes of course just not giving them enough food will make them
skinny but it will also be starving them. Your kitty need a high
quality prescription diet food such as Hill's Science Diet r/d or m/d
that you can get from your vet. These are formulated to help you kitty
shed the unecessary and harmful extra weight.

Also, I agree with the previous posts, get your kitty to the vet and
run some bloodwork because excessive thirst is a first warning sign of
diabetes or thyroid problems. Remember, a couple of extra pounds on you
kitty is like a couple extra 100 pounds for you.

Good luck with your cat!!

I'm not sure who your message was intended for (possibly Winnifred?), but it
wasn't me. Even the OP did not mention cutting portions. That message
talked about the possibility of water retention, and my messages related to
the need for medical evaluation and the possibility of medical issues such
as diabetes. My post was actually a reply to another message, but you have
deleted my message and linked your reply to mine (so that it appears that
you are responding to something I said). Oddly, you did quote someone
else's message. Unless there is something wrong with my server, you somehow
cited someone else but posted as a reply to me (not a big problem, but I
wanted to clarify in case someone else would pick up on it and start to
"quote" me).

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old July 13th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Please put your cat on diet food!!! The problem with cutting the
portions of your cat's normal food is that it is not formulated to be
meeting specific nutrition needs for less than the recommended
portions. Yes of course just not giving them enough food will make them
skinny but it will also be starving them. Your kitty need a high
quality prescription diet food such as Hill's Science Diet r/d or m/d
that you can get from your vet. These are formulated to help you kitty
shed the unecessary and harmful extra weight.

Also, I agree with the previous posts, get your kitty to the vet and
run some bloodwork because excessive thirst is a first warning sign of
diabetes or thyroid problems. Remember, a couple of extra pounds on you
kitty is like a couple extra 100 pounds for you.

Good luck with your cat!!

I have yet to have a cat lose weight on diet food and have had success with
portion control and feeding wet food. If one follows the package
recommendation in many cases the cat is greatly overfed. Like my vet said,
the food manufacturers are trying to sell food. The more the cat eats the
more food you buy.