Drugging My Cats For Move?

Old July 9th 06, 09:45 PM
txblnd txblnd is offline
Junior Member

Question Drugging My Cats For Move?

I am going to be moving from Texas to Colorado and am worried about my 3 cats. One is a ferell cat that I have tamed over the past 5 years and I am terrified that she will revert when she is out of her familiar territory. It took me nearly a year to get her to stop hiding from me and she is still nervous at strange sounds and hides when I have company. My other cat is 11 years old and I worry about his health because I have heard it is very traumatic for cats to travel a long distance. My 3rd cat is a yowler! BIG TIME! A trip to the vet that is only 4 miles from here drives me crazy. He cries non stop! All 3 cats are indoor only cats and get along great.
I guess my question is should I have my vet drug them for the move so they won't be terrified on a 16+ hour drive? Should I crate each one seperately or all together in one big crate? What about food, water and litter box for trip?
This may sound silly, but I am very nervous about moving them and want what's best and easiest on them, but don't like to drug my animals. I would love to hear from anyone that has experienced a long distance move and know what they did and how cats adjusted to new home. Any suggestions to make it easier on them would be welcomed.
Thanks

Last edited by txblnd : July 10th 06 at 05:12 PM.
Old July 10th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

Default Drugging My Cats For Move?

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:45:37 +0000, txblnd
wrote:

I am going to be moving from Texas to Colorado and am worried about my 3
cats. One is a ferrell cat that I have tamed over the past 5 years and I
[...]

I don't think it's silly.

I think it will help if they are crated together or at least in a
situation where they can see each other.

I would drug the yowler and take the others on a short trip to see if
they will need it as well. If they settle down, then they don't need
drugs. If they behaved in a distressed manner, then they are
distressed and the drugs might be a good idea.

Charlie
Old July 10th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Deeanna

HI!
It is not silly at all to be concerned about moving your kitties. You
definitely care about your kitties because you ARE concerned. We just
moved our seven cats from AL to FL and I was just beside myself with
worry about how I was going to get my babies down here safely. Plus,
the drive was about a 17 hour trip for us because we were also towing a
Uhaul. Although the following are my recommendations for your move,
please remember that what worked for my cats may not work for others.
I would suggest talking this over with your vet as well.

I bought two big dog carriers to put in the back of my Sequoia with the
thought of putting 3 in one and 4 in the other, but it didn't quite
work out that way. After we got the first one put together and tried
to put it in the vehicle the way it needed to go so both would fit, we
found out they would not fit, so my husband used all the sides of both
cages and built one big one inside the back of the vehicle and used tie
wraps to hold all the sides together. We put food, water, a litter
box, and lots of blankets and pillows for them to sleep on. We also
put two moving blanks for additional cushion and a tarp under the cage
to prevent any accidents to the interior of our vehicle. One by one,
we carried each kitty out of the house and put her/him in the cage.
Once they were all in, we finished securing the sides with the tie
wraps. I also have a feral/fraidy cat who has been with me for 10
years now and still hides. I was most concerned about her since she is
so scared. But, she did very well, as did the others. We carried her
out last and brought her in last since she is hard to catch and very
fast. I was not going to give her an opportunity to run.

Yes, they were very vocal at first, quite loudly in fact, but
eventually they quieted down and went to sleep. They did not sleep the
entire trip, but the "vocal protest" did stop. Once they caImed down,
their meows were normal. We did not sedate them and have heard that
vets sometimes shy away from that for the sake of the kitty, but I do
not know for sure. Since I was in the military, my kitties have
traveled extensively; two of my seven flew from HI to England; two flew
from VA to England; five flew back from England to AL; and now, all
seven have had a very long car ride down to FL. Not one time did I
sedate any of my kitties on any of their trips and they did very well.

For a trip this long, they definitely need water and a little box.
Some vets do not recommend giving them food because they could get
sick, but mine do not so that is why I gave them food. I only gave
mine enough to snack on if they got hungry; I did not give them full
meals nor we stop to feed them. We put food in a couple of dishes
inside the cage and that was all they had until we arrived in FL.

If they get along together well, then I would recommend buying one cage
to put all three in if you have the room. Cats that get along usually
find comfort in one another...at least mine do. If you do not have the
room for one big cage, then I would recommend putting them in separate
cages, but big enough for them to stand up in and turn around. In lieu
of a cat box, you can use shredded newspaper in the very back of the
cage. Make sure you have plenty of towels for cushioning in the front
of the cage for the kitty to sleep on and make sure you have two dishes
that clip on the door of the cage for water and/or food. Because those
have a tendency to spill, you will probably have to refill the water a
few times before you arrive.

Once we arrived, we cut a few tie wraps to open up the back just enough
to get one cat out at a time and carried them in the house, again one
by one. I am happy to say that they have all adusted quite well,
although they have become a bit more affectionate than they were in AL.
This is probably due to a bit of insecurity/uncertainty on their part
since we just moved on 28 May, but I don't mind; I love the attention.
I know it will end sooner or later so that's why I am enjoying it
while it lasts.

Whatever you do, do not let your kitties ride freely in your vehicle.
They can get under the seats and not come out the entire trip or thrown
around if you have to slam on your breaks. Plus, you run the risk of
one escaping if you get out of the vehicle.

Oh, one other thing; if you can find a mobile vet in TX, I would highly
recommend it. I had one in AL and I just loved her. She was truly a
God send; two of mine scream like they are being murdered when they go
to the vet, and that's just for shots. I hope I can be as lucky here
in FL and find another mobile vet.

Hope this helps. I wish you all the best with your move. If you have
any more questions, please feel free to contact me.
Deeanna

--
txblnd

Old July 10th 06, 05:20 PM
txblnd txblnd is offline
Junior Member

I just want to say thank you so much for your very helpful advice. Great tips that I will use from both of you. I sincerely appreciate your help.
I'm new to Cat Banter, so don't know if I am even posting this in the right place for you to see it. I hope I'm doing it right! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by txblnd
Old July 10th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alison

"txblnd" wrote in message

[...]
txblnd.

Good luck with the trip.
I would buy proper travel crates , one for each cat and place then so they
can see each other. I wouldn't put them in the same crate . If cats get
stressed or frightened and feel trapped they could attack each other (even
if they are friends) and it's very difficult to open a crate and separate
cats in a car. I wouldn't open the crate at all if you can help it.
Some Travel crates have feed and water trays you can fill from the
outside. I wouldn't bother with a litter tray. Just line the crate with
paper and put the cats familiar bedding in there.
You can get Feliway that is especially for travelling cats , you can spray
it in their crate.
It's best not to tranquilise(sp) a cat. They tend to fight it. It might
reduce their movement and be less alert but it won't stop them feeling
scared.
Alison

Old July 11th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Popsie's Mom

Hope your trip goes well. It may help also to have a collar and leash
for your cats each just in case too. Sounds crazy maybe, but things
happen, and if they have a collar on and a leash at least you have them
under some control if they should start to get loose. We've taken
animals on trips before and the things I've always known is NO FOOD
until you stop for the night or get the vomiting or diarrhea act. But
water is important. Although, I found, lots of times an animal will
refuse everything until they get situated. Be prepared for vomiting.
Whoever suggested taking the cats on a short car trip for a trial was a
good idea. Better find out your "bugs" on a short trip than wait until
you are 5 hrs down the road. Talk to your vet? Sometimes you can call
and ask these questions and get good advise for free.
It wouldn't hurt to have the meds on hand for emergency - something for
extreme anxiety, vomiting, diarrhea, or as they said - a mobile vet
would be the cure all!! Better a vet than treat a cat yourself - if
you have the funds. Anyway, it should all work out - you go with our
prayers. God bless you. Gail Lynn Batton

Old July 13th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Al

I too have a cat that cries when traveling. I tried sedatives from my vet
but it didn't help her. I bought a puppy a year ago and she now finds
comfort with her in the carrier too! I don't suggest buying a puppy but I
do suggest having the cats together so they can comfort one another. I had
two cats that hated each other but when I put them in the car and carrier
together, they comforted each other to my surprise. Good luck and have a
safe happy trip. One more suggestion. Put collars and ID tags on them in
case one escapes.