Bald eagle a hazard for cats?

Old July 18th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark G.

Default Bald eagle a hazard for cats?

There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

Old July 18th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Mark G. wrote:
There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

Yes. And during the day, too.

-L.

Old July 18th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ryan Robbins

"Mark G." wrote in message
There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

You should always keep your cats inside, unless they are on a leash. Are
people ever going to learn this?

Old July 18th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alison

"Mark G." wrote in message
There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

I believe that in certain circumctances cats should be allowed out and
this is not one of them! They are in danger from coyoyes too.
Build a run or leash walk them.
Alison

Old July 18th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angel

Mark G. wrote:
There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

cats don't have any natural enemies
(is why we got so many)

Old July 18th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kraut

There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

cats don't have any natural enemies
(is why we got so many)

They may not have any natural enemies but to a hungry bird of prey a
of any sort a kitten is an easy meal.

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD KEEP THEM IN AS LONG AS IT IS AROUND!!!

Common sense man!!!

Old July 18th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Oh man, those juveniles are huge!

Your cats are not safe with an eagle around.

Rhonda

Old July 18th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:06:39 GMT, "Ryan Robbins"
wrote:

"Mark G." wrote in message
.. .
There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

You should always keep your cats inside, unless they are on a leash. Are
people ever going to learn this?

I let them out into my small fenced in backyard when I'm home. There
is some risk that some giant bird will carry one off or an outside cat
will excite them, and a bigger risk that they'll get some stupid bird
or critter of some kind. They do try to get the local oppossum, and
managed to get some baby oppossums a few weeks back but I rescued
them. There is some small risk that they can get out; Nipsy did that
twice a few weeks back and I expanded the fence where he got over and
he can't get out there now. He was trying to get a bird in a tree.

When the back door is open during the nice weather, they spend all
their time outside. What does that tell you about where they would
rather be? Sure I can keep them inside all the time, but the small
risk of some incident is more than offset by the enjoyment they get
lying in (and chewing) the grass or hiding in the bushes, or chasing
each other around the yard. I have a cement wall, about four feet
high, at the back of the yard. Most of the time it's in the shade.
They lie in the shade on that wall for hours, watching birds fly by,
then they jump down and stalk some worms, and eat a bug.

If you can let your cats out safely, then do so.
Old July 18th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

In article ,
"Mark G." wrote:

There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

While driving a truck down an San Jose, California street one day at
about 35 MPH, a large raptor unexpectedly flew from left to right
directly in front of my windshield. The bird was weighed down by an
animal it held in its talons; it was desperately trying to gain
altitude.

I swear, it was a scene right out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. I almost
hit the bird. Its prey was limp and pretty certainly dead. The prey was
about the size of an average adult cat (maybe on the small side), but I
didn't get a clear enough look to say for sure what it was.

The bird wasn't as large as a full-grown eagle, but it was big enough to
shake me up. Had I collided with it at that speed, I'm pretty sure it
would have broken my windshield.

Without knowing for sure, I would guess that the bird had picked up some
roadkill for dinner. I doubt whether that bird could have killed a cat
that size easily, if at all. Even so, I now consider it a fact that
small pets-- especially juveniles like puppies and kittens-- could be
taken by any raptor of sufficient size and temperament.
Old July 18th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Mark G." wrote in message
There is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out in the tree
in our back yard. Should I keep the kitties inside tonight?

No, asshole, I think you should roast your imaginary kitties and serve them
up on a platter. Nice headers. lol