litter box problem

Old July 18th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mosescat

Default litter box problem

help, my 8 month old male (unneutered) cat is spraying pee everywhere but the
litter box, he is very healthy and also lives with 2 spayed female cats and 2
spayed small dogs. there is no problem between the 4 animals, we all live
happy. what can i do to stop him from ruining my walls and furniture? he
lets out a tom cat meow as he is walking around and then "watch out". any
advice will definately be appreciated. he is going to the vet to be neutered,
but i need to wait until he is 11 months old. (vet's advice). PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old July 18th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Get him neutered NOW! Find a different vet. This one is an idiot. You need
to get this done ASAP before this behavior become an ingrained habit.

In the mean time you may have to confine the kitten in a smaller easily
cleaned area and hit the spots he's peed on with a good enzyme cleaner.
Invest in one of the black lights available at the pet store (stink finder)
so you can locate everywhere he's marked.

Old July 18th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:19:03 +0000, mosescat wrote:

help, my 8 month old male (unneutered) cat is spraying pee everywhere
but the litter box, he is very healthy and also lives with 2 spayed
female cats and 2 spayed small dogs. there is no problem between the 4
animals, we all live happy. what can i do to stop him from ruining my
walls and furniture? he lets out a tom cat meow as he is walking around
and then "watch out". any advice will definately be appreciated. he is
going to the vet to be neutered, but i need to wait until he is 11
months old. (vet's advice). PLEASE HELP!!!!

Find another veterinarian.
Old July 18th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

I never heard of waiting until 11 months old to neuter a cat. See another
vet. The fact that he is not neutered is causing the problem.
Gail
news

Old July 18th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

I've heard of one other vet recommending waiting until 11 mos. Makes me
wonder if they aren't trying to drum up more business when people bring
their cat in for all sorts of behavior problems in the mean time. It's one
of the most ridiculous medical 'opinions' I've ever heard of and have no
clue what legitimate theory they might be using to justify that piece of
advice.

There are shelters in the area spaying and neutering cats when they reach 2
lbs. and a lot of private vets recommending waiting until between 5 and 7
months but 11 months is just beyond the pale IMO.

"Gail" wrote in message
k.net...
I never heard of waiting until 11 months old to neuter a cat. See another
vet. The fact that he is not neutered is causing the problem.
Gail
news

Old July 19th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth

As everyone else has noted, it is overwhelmingly likely that this is a
hormonal issue and your boy needs to be neutered NOW. However, my vet
would point out that even when it seem to be hormonal and/or
behavioral, on occasion it is a physical problem. He would tell you to
get a urine sample (ha! easy to say, not so easy to do) and have it
checked for crystals. When looking for a new vet, consider a clinic or
hospital where the doctor can do the surgery (which is needed *anyway*)
AND pull a urine sample to check for crystals while your guy is in
there.

Elizabeth