NonCompliant w/Litterbox

Old July 21st 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PAWZ

Default NonCompliant w/Litterbox

Hello all:

I have a male MaineCoon Cat that is just over two years of age. He has
recently (past 4 mos) started pooping outside of the litter box. I
have an automatic litterbox that sweeps the clumped litter into a
covered plastic pouch.

I have not been able to figure out why he does it. It is sporatic
behavior, not an everytime event. I did take him to the scene last
time I found one and I pointed his nose to it and voiced my displeasure
"no" "bad-boy." He is very smart and he was not amused with that
exercise, however it has been sometime a month or so since it has
happened.

Any suggestions for curtailing this behavior? Since he's done it in
this room before, will he continue to do it and should I have the
carpet professionally cleaned or place a deterrant on the carpet?

Thanks for any advice.

Old July 21st 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Try switching to two regular litter boxes. Do not use hoods, use clumping,
unscented litter.
Gail
oups.com...

Old July 21st 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

ps. Many cats do not like the automatic litter boxes (even if he has used it
before). Simplicity is always best. One cat should have two boxes. If this
doesn't work, have him see the vet. It may be a medical problem.
Gail
ink.net...

Old July 21st 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sandra Loosemore

"PAWZ" writes:

I have a male MaineCoon Cat that is just over two years of age. He has
recently (past 4 mos) started pooping outside of the litter box. I
have an automatic litterbox that sweeps the clumped litter into a
covered plastic pouch.

Sounds like your cat is telling you he doesn't like this arrangement. I'd
small.

I have not been able to figure out why he does it. It is sporatic
behavior, not an everytime event. I did take him to the scene last
time I found one and I pointed his nose to it and voiced my displeasure
"no" "bad-boy." He is very smart and he was not amused with that
exercise, however it has been sometime a month or so since it has
happened.

Rubbing your cat's nose in his messes doesn't do anything to teach
him not to do it, and it's not surprising he wasn't amused by it.

Any suggestions for curtailing this behavior?

Aside from experimenting with a different box, I'd take him to the vet
for a check-up. E.g., one of my cats wants to poop outside her box
when she gets constipated or has problems with her anal glands. If
you see him squatting in various places before he finally poops, going
in and out of the box without being able to poop, or dragging his butt
on the floor, that's a pretty sure sign he's having a problem.

Since he's done it in
this room before, will he continue to do it and should I have the
carpet professionally cleaned or place a deterrant on the carpet?

There are enzyme-based cleaners available at pet stores for this purpose.
If he consistently uses the same spot, you might try putting another box
down there.

-Sandra

Old July 21st 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

My Tiger is at least part Maine Coon. The long hair around his butt
sometimes would "hang on" to a poop (Klingon) which would fall off
later. I keep his hair trimmed close to prevent this. Your cat may not
be doing this on purpose.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 21st 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jewelinsb

Default Have you tried a bigger box?

I have 2 Maine Coon cats. I don't know about yours, but mine 'outgrew'
their litterbox and they are only 9 months old. One of them started
getting hesitant about using the box (not that she ever went
elsewhere). I got them a bigger box - one I actually had to make from
a storage tote - and now they seem happy. I agree with the other
posting that sometimes cats don't like the automatic boxes.

Old August 2nd 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PAWZ

Jewelinsb wrote:
I have 2 Maine Coon cats. I don't know about yours, but mine 'outgrew'
their litterbox and they are only 9 months old. One of them started
getting hesitant about using the box (not that she ever went
elsewhere). I got them a bigger box - one I actually had to make from
a storage tote - and now they seem happy. I agree with the other
posting that sometimes cats don't like the automatic boxes.

Thanks, Jewerlinsb: Mine as grown so quickly - he's a big boy now! I
relocated the box to another room and removed the cover. Once I saw
him in there it was very apparent that the box was too small. He has a
new bigger box now.

Old August 2nd 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PAWZ

Thanks Gail, this was the first I've heard that one cat needs two
boxes. He now has a new "big" box and I'll also be replacing the
automatic box.

Gail wrote:
ps. Many cats do not like the automatic litter boxes (even if he has used it
before). Simplicity is always best. One cat should have two boxes. If this
doesn't work, have him see the vet. It may be a medical problem.
Gail
ink.net...

Old August 2nd 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PAWZ

Thanks Sandra, he now has a new large box and he seems to like it -
he's in it alot. He seems to like a good amount of litter in it too
and he didn't have that in the small automatic box.

Thanks for the post.

Old August 2nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

I'm glad it seems to be working out!!
Gail
oups.com...

Gail wrote:
ps. Many cats do not like the automatic litter boxes (even if he has used
it
before). Simplicity is always best. One cat should have two boxes. If
this
doesn't work, have him see the vet. It may be a medical problem.
Gail
ink.net...