Will an new cat pee on my carpet where my old cat peed?

Old July 30th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Marilyn44

Default Will an new cat pee on my carpet where my old cat peed?

I had an 11yr old cat the constantly peed in the hallway and pretty much
where she felt like it despite keeping her litter box clean. We eventually
gave her away because of this. I could not take it anymore cleaning carpet
twice a week only to have her pee again on the same areas. My children want a
new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same areas to mark its spot? If so I am
done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess and
trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent and
do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my home.

Old July 30th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

If you cannot medical care for a pet, you should definitely not get one. All
pets needs vaccinations, spaying/neutering, and become ill. YOur 11 year old
cat probably had a urinary tract infection that needed treatment.
Gail

Old July 30th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet B

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:13:38 GMT, "Marilyn44" u24699@uwe, clicked
their heels and said:

If so I am
done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess and
trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent and
do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my home.

I think you don't need a pet. Pets are not disposable. If they have a
problem, physical or behavioral, you need to step up to the plate and
deal with it. If you are emotionally and financially unable to do so,
it's best to not own a pet. Giving away an 11 year old cat with a
peeing problem. The mind boggles. My very problematic in many ways
kitty, Carey, just turned 13 on Thursday. As much as it's been
difficult to deal with her issues, her meds aren't very expensive and
they DO help. And I wouldn't dream of trying to pawn her off on
someone else - she's my responsibility.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 30th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

[...]

You should not get another cat. First, there is a great likelihood that
your cat had a medical problem (such as UTI) that caused inappropriate
peeing. If you cannot or will not take care of veterinary bills as they
arise, you should not consider getting another cat. I cannot envision
giving away an 11-year-old cat. Surely you know that this cat may end up
being euthanized! Second, you asked if another cat will pee in the same
places. There is no guarantee, but that is a possibility. Cats can detect
odors that we cannot, so the scent may still be there.

MaryL

Old July 30th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:13:38 +0000, Marilyn44 wrote:

I had an 11yr old cat the constantly peed in the hallway and pretty much
where she felt like it despite keeping her litter box clean. We
eventually gave her away because of this. I could not take it anymore
cleaning carpet twice a week only to have her pee again on the same
areas. My children want a new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same
areas to mark its spot? If so I am done with cats and the smell and the
work involved cleaning up the mess and trying to keep my house from
smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent and do not have extra money
to take the cats to the vet and put them on antidepressents. I spend
enough on medical issues for the children in my home.

It's near impossible to get rid of a urine odor by just cleaning the
carpeting. One has to take it up and clean the floor underneath. And even
if you could do that, it doesn't sound like another pet is a good idea
right now. Rightly, your children are your first priority ... but that
shouldn't include providing them with another pet that you know you can't
take care of.
Old July 30th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angel

Marilyn44 wrote:
My children want a
new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same areas to mark its spot? If so I am
done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess and
trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent and
do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my home.

you ****ed everybody here off by giving your cat away
get the kids a slip-n-slide instead

don't get a cat

not unless you are willing to care for it for life.

it's a life long commitment

TILL DEATH DO YOU PART

just get a slip-n-slide or a chia pet

Old July 30th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barb

A new cat will definitely pee where the last cat peed and then find some new
places like on your bed and your kitchen table.

It's a shame you didn't take your last cat to a vet where you most likely
would have been given a pill a day for 10 days for the cat. You had the
poor little cat for 11 years and obviously couldn't have cared less about
her. You have taught your child that when a pet becomes old and ill just
palm the pet off on someone else. Your child will remember this, believe
me. My son is in his thirties and he can tell you about the care we gave
each of our aging cats.

Don't get another pet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old July 30th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tabby

Barb wrote:
A new cat will definitely pee where the last cat peed and then find some new
places like on your bed and your kitchen table.

It's a shame you didn't take your last cat to a vet where you most likely
would have been given a pill a day for 10 days for the cat. You had the
poor little cat for 11 years and obviously couldn't have cared less about
her. You have taught your child that when a pet becomes old and ill just
palm the pet off on someone else. Your child will remember this, believe
me. My son is in his thirties and he can tell you about the care we gave
each of our aging cats.

Her child just may remember this when she becomes old and ill, and think
it is okay. Be careful with the lessons you teach your children.

Don't get another pet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old July 30th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Don't ever get another animal with comments that you made you are
definitely not a person that ever needs to have a animal again. Cats are
like kids they get sick and need health care

Old July 30th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angel

Tabby wrote:

Her child just may remember this when she becomes old and ill, and think
it is okay. Be careful with the lessons you teach your children.

fate is not without a sense of irony

I STOLE THAT TOO CYBERCAT, I GOT IT FROM THE MATRIX

HAVE YOU SEEN THAT ONE YET?