IBD and not eating well

Old August 4th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default IBD and not eating well

All,

I have a 14 year old who has been diagnosed with IBD. Previously, she
had stopped eating and was vomitting. We started her on Flagyll and
Predisone and put her on Rabbit and Pea, Venison etc and she
recovered. We tapered off gradually over about six months. Suddenly,
about five days ago, she stopped eating again. Took her to the vet
and bloodwork shows IBD is flairing up again. We've increased the
meds again. Problem is that she still not showing much interest in
eating. I'm pretty sure she got dehydrated and we took her back
yesterday for water infusion. She ate some last night but only a tiny
bit this morning. I'm worried about her dehydrating again and not
eating enough. Keeping her restricted diet in mind, what can I do to
ensure she gets enough water and starts to eat more?

Thanks for any ideas you can offer,

Rob
Old August 4th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
StarseekR

Sounds like a really difficult situation... Can you make drinking a
little more fun somehow? Giving it in a place she normally is not
allowed to go, or from the tap or in some other novel way? We had a cat
who just loved to drink from the tap, and if we just played a little
with the running water with our fingers she would lap at it, no matter
how ill she was feeling.

Old August 4th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

I had a cat for many years who had IBD. When this happened to her, I would
give her warmed, meated baby foods (without onion) until she regained her
appetite.
Gail

Old August 4th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Rob,

You need to talk to your vet about giving sub-Q fluids at home to your
kitty. It's easy to do (I've done it) and takes only a few minutes.
This will get her through her tough time, and save both of you the
stress of bringing her to the vets.

Keep in mind that you may need to *insist* on doing this--my previous
vet didn't want me to learn. It's really becoming more and more common,
especially with kitties who have renal failure. Your vet can show you
how, and there are instructions online too. Also insist on an 18 gauge
needle--it's a bit larger so the fluids will flow faster into your
kitty.

Your vet can advise about the amount of fluid to give.

I wish you luck.Please let us know what happens.

Old August 4th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 4 Aug 2006 05:21:02 -0700, "StarseekR" wrote:

Sounds like a really difficult situation... Can you make drinking a
little more fun somehow? Giving it in a place she normally is not
allowed to go, or from the tap or in some other novel way? We had a cat
who just loved to drink from the tap, and if we just played a little
with the running water with our fingers she would lap at it, no matter
how ill she was feeling.

Unfortunately she is a bump on a log and doesn't like to do much.

Old August 4th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:30:42 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

I had a cat for many years who had IBD. When this happened to her, I would
give her warmed, meated baby foods (without onion) until she regained her
appetite.

Wouldn't that cause the alergic reaction that we're attempting to
avoid with the special diet? I have to admit, I'm somewhat tempted to
try it. The doctor suggested another water shot to make sure she
stays hydrated through the weekend. She is eating a bit, but I don't
know at what level of intake I should be concerned.

Thanks,
Rob

Gail
.. .

Old August 4th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 4 Aug 2006 08:47:51 -0700, "Rene S."
wrote:

Rob,

You need to talk to your vet about giving sub-Q fluids at home to your
kitty. It's easy to do (I've done it) and takes only a few minutes.
This will get her through her tough time, and save both of you the
stress of bringing her to the vets.

Keep in mind that you may need to *insist* on doing this--my previous
vet didn't want me to learn. It's really becoming more and more common,
especially with kitties who have renal failure. Your vet can show you
how, and there are instructions online too. Also insist on an 18 gauge
needle--it's a bit larger so the fluids will flow faster into your
kitty.

Your vet can advise about the amount of fluid to give.

I wish you luck.Please let us know what happens.

She's out getting an infusion right now to get through the weekend. I
will definitely think about your suggestion should this not improve
much over the weekend.

Old August 5th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Rene S. wrote:
Rob,

You need to talk to your vet about giving sub-Q fluids at home to your
kitty. It's easy to do (I've done it) and takes only a few minutes.
This will get her through her tough time, and save both of you the
stress of bringing her to the vets.

I did this too with Maynard. It was very easy to do, and much less
stressful than repeated trips to the vet. I think the pack was $25 and
included enough for 10 days for the amount Maynard needed. The needle
didn't bother him. We just had him sit on my mom's lap while I did what
I needed to, and he enjoyed the attention. I was abit nervous a couple
times, but it went fine.

I had to ask since my vet didn't suggest it. This was not my regular
vet, but a closer one I tried. But when I asked, they were quite
agreeable, did the first dose at the office so I could learn hands on,
and they didn't charge me for the teaching session.

Old August 5th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 4 Aug 2006 21:31:40 -0700, "
wrote:

Rene S. wrote:
[...]

Well, on the plus side, she is eating. Probably about 1/4 of what she
was eating before, but she's eating. I feel so terrible that I have
to close her up in the bedroom when I leave the house. I've been
trying to have food available for her at all times and her brother
will eat anything in sight!