Kitty tranquilizers?

Old August 4th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats
Ripley59

Default Kitty tranquilizers?

A while ago I read somewhere that there were tranquilizers available
for cats, something you could give them before going on an airplane
trip or a long drive. Has anybody heard of something like that? I
have a long-haired Persian mix who is a bit of a furry slob. Lately
she's developed dense fur clumps all over her body. Brushing doesn't
really help. I bought an Oster pet hair trimmer, but, needless to
say, its pretty hard to get her to sit still for it. I tried having a
friend hold her down, but she meows and squirms non-stop. Thanks for
any advice!
Old August 4th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Ripley59" wrote in message
news
A while ago I read somewhere that there were tranquilizers available
for cats, something you could give them before going on an airplane
trip or a long drive. Has anybody heard of something like that? I
have a long-haired Persian mix who is a bit of a furry slob. Lately
she's developed dense fur clumps all over her body. Brushing doesn't
really help. I bought an Oster pet hair trimmer, but, needless to
say, its pretty hard to get her to sit still for it. I tried having a
friend hold her down, but she meows and squirms non-stop. Thanks for
any advice!

Don't drug your cat when you don't really need to. Get a friend to
help you. When our cat was fat, we used to trim her rear end with
a trimmer that sounds like an electric razor. The two of us did just
fine.

Also: if you just got in the habit of brushing her for 5 minutes a day,
there would not be a problem, right?

Old August 4th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats
Toni

"Ripley59" wrote in message
news
A while ago I read somewhere that there were tranquilizers available
for cats, something you could give them before going on an airplane
trip or a long drive. Has anybody heard of something like that? I
have a long-haired Persian mix who is a bit of a furry slob. Lately
she's developed dense fur clumps all over her body. Brushing doesn't
really help. I bought an Oster pet hair trimmer, but, needless to
say, its pretty hard to get her to sit still for it. I tried having a
friend hold her down, but she meows and squirms non-stop. Thanks for
any advice!

Now you understand why we cat groomers charge the prices we do. It isn't
something you can just up and do- it requires skill with a set of clippers
and a well trained assistant who is particularly adept with the fussy ones.

Good luck!

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

Old August 4th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats
Alison

"Ripley59" wrote in message
news
A while ago I read somewhere that there were tranquilizers available
for cats, something you could give them before going on an airplane
trip or a long drive. Has anybody heard of something like that? I
have a long-haired Persian mix who is a bit of a furry slob. Lately
she's developed dense fur clumps all over her body. Brushing doesn't
really help. I bought an Oster pet hair trimmer, but, needless to
say, its pretty hard to get her to sit still for it. I tried having a
friend hold her down, but she meows and squirms non-stop. Thanks for
any advice!

I just want to pont out that its dangerous to give cats tranquillisers if
they are flying as the altitude affects them.
Good luck with the fur trimming.
Alison

Old August 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats
Gizmo

When I moved a few years ago I called my vet and explained what was
going on and they gave me some cat tranqulizers for me give my fur
child. They worked wonderfully for the 8 hours plus car trip. I
didn't hear a word out of her.

So any question you have regarding giving your cat
tranqulizers....consult a vet first....they can advise you accordingly

Old August 5th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats
Ripley59

That's probably what I'll end up doing. I have to take her to the vet
next week anyhow. Thanks!

Old August 5th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ripley59

Unfortunately her fur is extremely dense, far more so than my Maine
Coon's, and very difficult to brush.

On 4 Aug 2006 19:38:51 +0200, "cybercat" wrote:

news

Old August 5th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

"Ripley59" wrote in message
Unfortunately her fur is extremely dense, far more so than my Maine
Coon's, and very difficult to brush.

You should be using good quality steel comb (not a brush), after the mats
are taken care of that is.

Keeping coats mat free is all about maintaining the coat *before* the mats
form. So once you get them shaved off, maintenance will keep them from
reforming.

Old August 12th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats
barking pumpkin

Toni wrote:
"Ripley59" wrote in message
news
A while ago I read somewhere that there were tranquilizers available
for cats, something you could give them before going on an airplane
trip or a long drive. Has anybody heard of something like that? I
have a long-haired Persian mix who is a bit of a furry slob. Lately
she's developed dense fur clumps all over her body. Brushing doesn't
really help. I bought an Oster pet hair trimmer, but, needless to
say, its pretty hard to get her to sit still for it. I tried having a
friend hold her down, but she meows and squirms non-stop. Thanks for
any advice!

Now you understand why we cat groomers charge the prices we do.

Actually, I don't think that explains it. It's a disconnect between cat
and owner. Most cat owners don't "bond" (and I don't like that word,
but it does convey the meaning) with their pets.

I have no problem brushing my cat.

Old December 5th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats
OdorDestroyer.com

Yes, I do understand why! I just can't find a cat groomer near me.

I have two that will not groom themselves and I have found that for me a
good pair of scissors is far better for me (a rank amateur) than
clippers. If I am mindful and careful I can slowly clip the of vertical
hair under the mat with no injury to the cat. She looks really silly
for awhile though...

Since you are not a pro, restraining her may not be the best tactic.
Without the proper skills, the more fuss you make the more she will
fight. When you AND a friend come at her with clippers she thinks you
are about to kill and eat her.

Try my technique: Get a good, sharp pair of scissors designed for
cutting hair. Sit her in you lap and pet her. Work mat upwards from the
edges and look underneath. You will notice that the last little bit of
hair is not matted. Your goal is to clip those hairs without clipping
skin. Keeping the blade perpendicular to your line of vision, insert
one scissor blade 1/4" in from the mats edge and keep the other blade
outside the mat. Make sure you can see that the inside blade (remember
1/4" in) will not hit flesh and quickly and confidently clip the hairs.
You can cut the whole length of the blade, but do not try to cut more
than about 1/4" deep at a time or you risk pinching (and cutting) flesh.

Philip

http://www.OdorDestroyer.com
Powerful pet odor removers for powerful pet odors.

Toni wrote:
news