Cat's Walking Funny

Old August 9th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paige

Default Cat's Walking Funny

When my cat tries to get up it looks as though he has weakness in his
hind legs. Finally when he does get up and starts to walk, he walks
with his hind legs bent close to the floor. Several weeks ago he
started defecating outside of the litter box, (we thought it was from
stress from one of our other cat's) we brought him to the vet and they
gave him an exam and checked his fecal waste. They found nothing wrong
with him. Then four days ago he started with his latest problem,
walking with his hind legs close to the floor. We brought him back to
the vet yesterday, they did blood work, and is now checking another
stool sample for worms.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Old August 9th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Maybe chronic renal failure? There is definitely something very wrong. If
your vet is unable to find anything, seek a second opinion.
Gail
ups.com...

Old August 10th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

"Paige" wrote in message
ups.com...
Vet did blood work and ruled out his kidney's.

Clearly something is very wrong, and clearly you know this because you sound
very worried.
And you should be.

So you have two choices:
Take the cat back to the vet and make them understand that something is very
wrong.
-or-
Take the cat to a different veterinarian and start from scratch, and make it
clear that something is terribly wrong. Write down every symptom as you have
here.

We can't help you long distance. It could be something that wouldn't show up
in bloodwork (spinal injury) or your first vet is incompetent- *we* don't
know. But I *do* know that it is going to take a hands on veterinarian to
diagnose and treat this poor kitty.

If it were me I would have him at a veterinary hospital somewhere/anywhere
when they unlock the doors in the morning. Or even an ER tonight.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old August 10th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Cat Whisperer

just watch out for mercury poisoning.
http://www.gotmercury.org/
put in your own bodyweight and see how much you can eat safely...

your cat shouldn't be eating much of this I don't think!

I used 13# for my cat, and canned albacore tuna... and a 3oz can (which is
tiny)
it was 730% of the maximum recommended intake!
7 times the human limit per week.
maybe cats can handle it...? I won't chance it!

ups.com...

Old August 11th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Toni exclaimed (10-Aug-06 11:49 AM):
"Paige" wrote in message
ups.com...
Vet did blood work and ruled out his kidney's.

Clearly something is very wrong, and clearly you know this because you sound
very worried.
And you should be.

So you have two choices:
Take the cat back to the vet and make them understand that something is very
wrong.
-or-
Take the cat to a different veterinarian and start from scratch, and make it
clear that something is terribly wrong. Write down every symptom as you have
here.

Better yet, videotape the cat getting up and walking around. I'll now
always grab the camera when Meep's acting weird (especially movement
issues), 'cause they usually hide those things at the vet. Used it when
she got grass stuck in her soft palate; it'd shifted by the time we got
to the vet but with the video she was able to diagnose her symptoms and
sore throat.

I agree something's very wrong, and would probably seriously consider a
second opinion. Have they even done an exam of his hind limbs?

jmc

Hi everyone Dewi Cat anecdotes 33 May 20th 20 03:20 AM
Try This at Home from The Daily Cat Matthew AKA NMR Cat anecdotes 3 April 8th 06 11:55 PM
Feline Facts Matthew AKA NMR Cat anecdotes 0 April 4th 06 05:54 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM