ear mite treatment?

Old August 12th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Homer J. Fong

Default ear mite treatment?

I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
mite meds.

-HJF

Old August 12th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

If the cat is scratching its ears and you can see black grit, that's
probably earmites. Consult your vet for appropriate ear drops. Ear mites
stay in the ears, but can be passed from cat to cat, especially if they
groom each other. The life cycle of an ear mite is entirely within the ear,
so you do not have to worry about ridding your house of them the way you do
fleas. Cats typically shake their heads when given the medication; unless
the medication actually comes back out, that is OK. An additional step to
take is to soak a cotton ball or pad in mineral oil (baby oil is fine), and
clean out the outer ear (do not poke into the canal). That rids the upper
ear of any ear mites lodged higher up than the canal, and makes it difficult
for the ear mites to reestablish themselves.
Scratching and a discharge from the ears means a bacterial or fungal
infection and the vet should be immediately consulted. Other possible causes
of scratching include fleas, lice, eczema, allergies, or stud tail (in male
cats

Old August 12th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BudGan61

Homer J. Fong wrote:

I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
mite meds.

-HJF

One dose of Revolution will take of it!

Old August 14th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

BudGan61 wrote:
Homer J. Fong wrote:

I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
mite meds.

-HJF

One dose of Revolution will take of it!

Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
-yngver

Old August 14th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
mite meds.

One dose of Revolution will take of it!

Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
-yngver

Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
going to help until hes GOES to the vet HUH ?!?!?

Old August 14th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"The Polish-Kraut" wrote in message

I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to

run
to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
mite meds.

One dose of Revolution will take of it!

Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
-yngver

Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
going to help until hes GOES to the vet HUH ?!?!?

You're more than a little bit of an ASSHOLE, aren't you?

Old August 16th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MUSWRITR

The Polish-Kraut wrote:
I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
mite meds.

One dose of Revolution will take of it!

Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
-yngver

Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
going to help until hes GOES to the vet HUH ?!?!?

Not true. You can order Revolution online.

Old August 16th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
mite meds.

One dose of Revolution will take of it!

Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
-yngver

Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
going to help until she GOES to the vet ?

Not true. You can order Revolution online.

Thanks for inf. Will have to check it out. I did find it one place
online but they wanted a prescription which my vet will not give
without an office vist.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/