My Kitten's Eyes

Old August 13th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth

Default My Kitten's Eyes

I took my baby to the vet today because her eyes were "weeping", and I was
concerned. They took her temperature, gave her an antibiotic, and treatment
for worms(just a precaution). The vet said that she might be coming down with
a cold, she has an eye infection, and a potential upper respiratory(sp)
infection. So now I have a gel that I place on her eyes twice a day, and an
anitbiotic that I give to her by mouth for the respiratory infection. I have
several questions. After I put the gel on her eyes tonight, I fed her, and
she cleaned her plate (like always :-)), then she went to sleep. She woke up
a few minutes ago and although her eyes aren't weeping as bad, they seem to
be sensitive to light, and they are rather watery. I kind of expected them to
be watery, but I still feel concerned... Should this be expected, as this is
only her first night with the treatment?

And also, the vet told me that when giving her the antibiotic orally, I
should put it in the corner of her mouth so I don't damage her windpipe. I
did not have to do this tonight because they gave her a shot of antibiotic at
the vet. I am very very nervous about doing this though, because I don't want
to hurt her... any tips? Or is there a site that I could visit that could
kind of give me a walk-through in this procedure?

Sorry this is so long! Thanks for reading!!
-E

Old August 13th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth

BTW she's 14 weeks old, if that helps at all!

Old August 13th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth

*sigh* I can't remember everything!

The vet also said her stool might be affected. Should I worry about her not
using her box? She's always been so good about that...

Old August 13th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Judy

"Elizabeth" u25238@uwe wrote in message news:64aff598e4803@uwe...
[...]

Here's a link. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pilling_a_cat.html

Google is your friend! :c)

Old August 13th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

When you put the gel in her eyes, be careful not to touch the
applicator to her eyeball. You could scratch her cornea and that would
cause her eye to become sensitive to light and weep.

Old August 13th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

After you give your kitten the pill, you may want to give her a little water
(with an eye dropper) to help the pill go down. It will keep the pill from
getting caught in her throat.

Sue

Old August 14th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth via CatKB.com

Thanks for the advice everyone, but unfortunately I failed to mention that
it's a LIQUID anitbiotic, and I give it to her with an eye dropper. I'm
*proud* to say that now, after a few failed attempts, I have become confident
in giving it to her! Oh man, at first it was bad. I would hold her like
reccommended, but her paw would always escape and she would swat it away. I
think she's mad at me. :-( lol. I appreciate the tips though! I'll keep the
forum posted on her progress.

--
http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg

my baby.

Old August 14th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

oups.com...

Elizabeth wrote:
*sigh* I can't remember everything!

The vet also said her stool might be affected. Should I worry about her
not
using her box? She's always been so good about that...

That's right. When I have to put ointment in I first use a warm wet
washcloth to clean away any 'goop' that might have accumulated around the
eye, wash my hands well, put a small amount of ointment on my pinky and
apply from there not directly from the tube (and wash hands well
afterwards). Not only is there danger of scratching the eye with the tip of
the tube but the ointment could become contaminated by coming in contact
with the infected eye.