Cat Life Expectancy and a death...

Old August 16th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian Link

Default Cat Life Expectancy and a death...

My son's girlfriend lost a cat today. She moved here from California,
and her mom kept one kitty. That cat was 15, and just stopped eating.
All blood tests and physicals turned up nothing, and poor old Max just
died at the Vet's.

She's broken up, and I can't find the words to reassure her. I've lost
almost a dozen cats in my lifetime, and there really is nothing you
can say - they're such delicate creatures - "the candle that burns the
brightest burns the briefest".

Tiger is 12 now, a mutt with Maine-Coon-ish genes. We've had him for
the longest I've had any cat. He is extremely healthy, and routinely
boxes our 4-year old bengal and comes out on top.

Tiger's an indoor cat - what's a realistic expectation for his life
expectancy? My son picked him out of a farm-cat litter when he was a
toddler. Though I've dealt with a lot of cat deaths, when Tiger goes
it'll be a big blow to him - prolly when he's away at college. Hell,
it'll be a big blow to me, too.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Old August 16th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Our precious past away a few months ago she born on a farm she was 19.5
her sister passed away at 18 her brother was 16

Our phantom is 12 going on 13 and he is a fat cat and a grumpy furball

Old August 16th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Brian Link wrote:
Tiger's an indoor cat - what's a realistic expectation for his life
expectancy?

It's not unusual for an indoor-only cat to live to 20. Anything over
15 is good - most I have known go around 18 or so.

-L.

Old August 16th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m4816k

Tiger's an indoor cat - what's a realistic expectation for his life
expectancy?

15 is considered an average, but I think I read somewhere that the "official
world record" is 26 so you never know... My friend has a persian/domestic,
indoor/outdoor female that's 14, but my friend suggests that she'll probably
live 4 or 5 more, eventhough she tried to proove the "nine lives theory"
getting injured and sick on numerous occasions:-) As far as saying some
words to make the loss a bit more bearable, I tell myself that I did my best
to make him (I always have males) live like a king and make him happy. Seems
to work Good luck!

Old August 16th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 03:08:13 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

For an indoor cat, the average is about 15 or 16. Some live even longer.
Gail

I don't think that's true. My vet once told me that the average is
more like 12 or 13. One of my cats lived to be 17 or so, but two
others were dead at something like 8 and 10. One was a heart condition
and the other died of, essentially, diabetes. I didn't know about that
until he was very sick.

Old August 16th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Tiger's an indoor cat - what's a realistic expectation for his life
expectancy? My son picked him out of a farm-cat litter when he was a
toddler. Though I've dealt with a lot of cat deaths, when Tiger goes
it'll be a big blow to him - prolly when he's away at college. Hell,
it'll be a big blow to me, too.

Cats' lives are like people's. Some of them are very healthy and others
are plagued with health problems. If he's healthy and a good weight, he
could live many more years. I can relate with your son--my childhood
cat died in January at the age of 19.

The good news is that feline medicine has improved greatly in the last
decade. Take him in for annual (or twice per year) check ups and
bloodwork to keep an eye on his health. And, of course, shower him
daily with love.

Rene

Old August 16th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

For an indoor cat, the average is about 15 or 16. Some live even longer.
Gail

I don't think that's true. My vet once told me that the average is
more like 12 or 13. One of my cats lived to be 17 or so, but two
others were dead at something like 8 and 10. One was a heart condition
and the other died of, essentially, diabetes. I didn't know about that
until he was very sick.

I lost Moses at about 17 and the oldest I have now is Kitty who I look
in as stray at 6 years and is now about 15 / 16 years.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old August 16th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

She's broken up, and I can't find the words to reassure her. I've lost
almost a dozen cats in my lifetime, and there really is nothing you
can say - they're such delicate creatures - "the candle that burns the
brightest burns the briefest".

Sometimes just a reassuring "Sorry" and a hug is the best.