Swollen glands -- neck area

Old August 19th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Default Swollen glands -- neck area

Just wondered if anyone else has had a cat with swollen glands (or lymph
nodes) in the neck area. Sweeter's glands on either side, right under
the end of the jaw bone, are huge. We've had her on antibiotics but
they've gotten bigger. We're waiting for test results to see if this is
an infection or something worse.

Has anyone else had a cat with that problem?

Vet said her teeth don't look bad enough to cause it, and it's rare for
glands to swell underneath the jaw because of teeth.

She also had one moderately swollen node in her upper back leg, but that
got smaller in the last week.

If this is cancer, after all she's been through, my scream will probably
bust windows.

Rhonda

Old August 19th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Just wondered if anyone else has had a cat with swollen glands (or lymph
nodes) in the neck area. Sweeter's glands on either side, right under the
end of the jaw bone, are huge. We've had her on antibiotics but they've
gotten bigger. We're waiting for test results to see if this is an
infection or something worse.

Has anyone else had a cat with that problem?

Vet said her teeth don't look bad enough to cause it, and it's rare for
glands to swell underneath the jaw because of teeth.

She also had one moderately swollen node in her upper back leg, but that
got smaller in the last week.

If this is cancer, after all she's been through, my scream will probably
bust windows.

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

I had this happen to one of my cats. It turned out to be an infection but
we were never able to pinpoint the source. Has the vet tried another
antibiotic? With Gollum the vet did a needle biopsy to tell what sort of
cells there were.

Poor Sweeter--she (and you) have been through so much. I hope she does
better soon.

Bonnie

Old August 19th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

22brix wrote:

Hi Rhonda,

I had this happen to one of my cats. It turned out to be an infection but
we were never able to pinpoint the source. Has the vet tried another
antibiotic? With Gollum the vet did a needle biopsy to tell what sort of
cells there were.

Poor Sweeter--she (and you) have been through so much. I hope she does
better soon.

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the response. That's good to know it was something your cat
survived, I have visions of FelV and everything else going through my head.

We just did the needle aspiration and blood tests today, so we have to
wait until Monday for the results. The vet said too maybe we aren't
using the right (or strong enough) antibiotic, but we will find out more
on Monday.

I noticed her tonight now scratching at her face. I'm wondering if she's
having an allergic reaction to something. She threw up several times
this morning and that's why we didn't finish the 10 days of antibiotics
(we were on day 7) and I took her back to the vet early.

I'll let you know what happens.

Rhonda