Kitten is starting to pee outside the box

Old August 25th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sooo many cats

Default Kitten is starting to pee outside the box

I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of a
sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box and my
littlelest one has peed on the floor near the wall next that is next to the
toilet, and she did it again today during the day while i was at work. I
clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the morning
and once in the evening, and have never had a problem! nothing has changed in
their lives they are all happy and healthy, they get table scrapps and there
is always food and water in there bowls. what is going on that could make her
suddenly start doing this?!?!?! HELP!!!

Old August 25th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Could be a UTI that is usually the culprit when something like that
happens. Vet needs to check for one

Old August 25th 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Sooo many cats wrote:
I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of a
sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box and my
littlelest one has peed on the floor near the wall next that is next to the
toilet, and she did it again today during the day while i was at work.

Do you have one box for all four cats? Your older cats might not mind
the sharing, but your new addition may not be too fond of it, now that
she is getting mature. I would recommend adding at least one more box.
Also, is your kitten spayed yet? If no, I would say she is marking her
territory :-( Females can reproduce as early as five months, and she
would be born at the time of year where she would go into one heat
before autumn/winter hits. Get her spayed asap.

Good luck, Petra

Old August 25th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sandra Loosemore

"Sooo many cats" u25724@uwe writes:

I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
box, until now! [...] I
clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the morning
and once in the evening, and have never had a problem!

"The" cat box? You only have *one* box for *five* cats? Uh, sounds
like you *do* have a problem! It's usually recommended that you have at
least one box per cat. Some cats just don't like to share, or sometimes
one cat starts playing intimidation games and preventing the other(s) from
using the box. I also can't imagine how stinky a single box shared by 5
cats would get, even if you do scoop twice a day; your kitten may find it
offensive even if you don't.

-Sandra

Old August 25th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
wazzumusicmajor via CatKB.com

all the cats have been fixed and each was obtained when they were no older
than one month old. even the vet says that our cats are the picture of health
and happieness. we have a large cat box and have NEVER had odor problems...
when we have people over they don't even know that we have cats until one
hops on their lap....so i highly doubt that an untidy kitty box is the
problem. she has only done this twice in her life, and both times were this
week, even more shocking she has not gone OUTSIDE the box since the last time
and that was a few days ago.... could she be going through some kind of
kitten rebellion? or could it have been a fluke thing because she seems fine
now

Old August 25th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sandra Loosemore

"wazzumusicmajor via CatKB.com" u25724@uwe writes:

all the cats have been fixed and each was obtained when they were no older
than one month old. even the vet says that our cats are the picture of health
and happieness. we have a large cat box and have NEVER had odor problems...

You keep denying you have a problem, but the fact that your kitten is
peeing outside the box indicates that there *is* a problem now, even
if you've never had one before. Do you want to do something about it
or not? If so, the obvious first step is to put down a few more
litter boxes and see if the inappropriate elimination stops.

-Sandra the cynic
Old August 25th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

YES, YOU NEED MORE LITTER BOXES. CATS SOMETIMES DEVELOP PROBLEMS EVEN IF
THEY DID NOT HAVE ONE IN THE PAST.

Old August 25th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In news:654d35fae68f4@uwe,
wazzumusicmajor via CatKB.com purred:
all the cats have been fixed and each was obtained when they were no
older than one month old. even the vet says that our cats are the
picture of health and happieness. we have a large cat box and have
NEVER had odor problems... when we have people over they don't even
know that we have cats until one hops on their lap....so i highly
doubt that an untidy kitty box is the problem. she has only done this
twice in her life, and both times were this week, even more shocking
she has not gone OUTSIDE the box since the last time and that was a
few days ago.... could she be going through some kind of kitten
rebellion? or could it have been a fluke thing because she seems fine
now

Never had odor problems to *your* nose, maybe. To a cat's nose, which is
almost as sensitive as a dog's, it must reek.

Please stop trying to defend your lack of action to solve the problem, and
buy another litterbox, or four.

Sandra Loosemore wrote:
I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest
and newest addition to our family is about 6 months old and has
NEVER peed outside the box, until now! [...] I

Old August 26th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Sooo many cats wrote:
I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of a
sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box and my
littlelest one has peed on the floor near the wall next that is next to the
toilet, and she did it again today during the day while i was at work. I
clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the morning
and once in the evening, and have never had a problem! nothing has changed in
their lives they are all happy and healthy, they get table scrapps and there
is always food and water in there bowls. what is going on that could make her
suddenly start doing this?!?!?! HELP!!!

If you have only one box for all five cats, it'd help to have at least
one or two more boxes. Either all in the same area, or in different
areas of the house.

But, this could also be a UTI problem - peeing outside the box is a
classic sign of an infection. That should be ruled out - or in - right
away. IOW, vet appt. time. You said that they're healthy, but peeing
outside the box may be the only symptom of a UTI that'd be evident. If
she does have a UTI, a round (or two) of an antibiotic will clear it
up.

Cathy