sudden hairball increase

Old August 26th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default sudden hairball increase

My longhaired, neutered 8 year old male used to 'produce' one hairball
about every 6 - 9 months. All of a sudden, he produced two last week
alone. I have been combing him religiously and no change in diet.

Cause for alarm? Trip to the vet? (He goes for his annual next March.)
Any suggestions at to this increase?

thanks

Old August 26th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

I think that cats don't handle hairballs as well as they did when they
were younger - first of all. Secondly, maybe he is grooming himself
more? Thirdly, my cat is also having more hairballs these past few
weeks - maybe they are getting rid of the summer coat and making way
for winter?

I use Temptations treats for hairballs and they seem to work well at
having them pass the hairballs in the litter instead of throwing them
up. Try them. Don't think it is a cause for alarm and the vet will
only tell you to give him something to make the hairballs pass.