advice

Old August 27th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default advice

Any helpful hints on how to ger kitty to drink more water?

Old August 27th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Feed the cat canned food (higher water content) and provide several bowls of
fresh water around your house or apartment.
Gail

Old August 27th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
Any helpful hints on how to ger kitty to drink more water?

Treats of tuna juice whenever you eat tuna canned in water is a good way.

Feeding canned food makes your cat take in more water.

My cats drink more if I have several bowls around near the places they hang
out.

Old August 27th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

wrote in message
Any helpful hints on how to ger kitty to drink more water?

Just leave a dirty dish soaking in the kitchen sink- mine prefer that over
any other source including the two kitty fountains I have around the house
to stimulate them.

Just kidding- kinda sorta.
The fountains do work- cats love to lap from a running stream.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

Old August 27th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I very rarely see Amber and Tiger drink water. They eat canned food so
they get lots of water there. I have 5 water bowls around the house and
when I had a Drinkwell, they never used it (I gave it to a friend who
says her cats love it).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 28th 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, ---MIKE--- exclaimed (27-Aug-06 9:37 PM):
I very rarely see Amber and Tiger drink water. They eat canned food so
they get lots of water there. I have 5 water bowls around the house and
when I had a Drinkwell, they never used it (I gave it to a friend who
says her cats love it).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I've never seen Meep drink out of her Drinkwell either - but the water
level does go down. Depends on her mood, I think, and where she happens
to be, when she gets thirsty.

I'm not sure why cats are furtive about drinking out of a Drinkwell, but
I've seen other posters here who's cats only drink out of it when
noone's looking. Guilty pleasure or something?

jmc
Old August 30th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Green Clogs

jmc wrote:

Suddenly, without warning, ---MIKE--- exclaimed (27-Aug-06 9:37 PM):

I very rarely see Amber and Tiger drink water. They eat canned food so
they get lots of water there. I have 5 water bowls around the house and
when I had a Drinkwell, they never used it (I gave it to a friend who
says her cats love it).

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I've never seen Meep drink out of her Drinkwell either - but the water
level does go down. Depends on her mood, I think, and where she happens
to be, when she gets thirsty.

I'm not sure why cats are furtive about drinking out of a Drinkwell, but
I've seen other posters here who's cats only drink out of it when
noone's looking. Guilty pleasure or something?

I think it's instinct. They don;t want to leave themselves unguarded.

jmc

Old August 30th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BT1971 via CatKB.com

I think it's instinct. They don;t want to leave themselves unguarded.

jmc

Or they just like getting away with stuff . Seriouly though, my cat likes
to sneak drinks if I leave a water glass on the nightstand. If you heard how
loud she slurps it not a big secret to us. I doesn't bother my wife and I we
just have to remember who drank out of the glass last! I also leave a glass
on the kitchen table and she sits in a chair and takes a drink. I think maybe
cats maybe wired to look for new water sources every so often. I would
suggests having a bowl or two you can move around every so often in places
were she will stumble across it pretty easily, in addition to the one in the
regular spot.

We have a fountain for her, but she stops using every so often and we put it
away for a weeks and suddenly she loves it again. ???

As I am finding out, if you feed your cat wet food, it doen't need to drink
nearly as much.

good luck

Old August 30th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

You already got the same advice I figured out, wet food. Dino wouldn't
drink a sip and vet (btw why are they called teds?) said he was
dehydrated. So I went with wet fod (Special Kitty).
The reason i'm posting isn't to say what has already been said. After
his 2nd physical, the vet said his gums were a bit weak, so I thought
I'd try and mix in some dry food. I couldn't believe it when I saw him
drinking water one day because he needed it . Anyways my point is try
going back to the dry food from time to time, see if kitty has outgrown
the problem.