I know it's useless...

Old August 28th 06, 08:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m4816k

Default I know it's useless...

....but have to ask anyway Is there a way to stop cat from walking between
my legs while I walk, walk three inches in front of me while I walk etc.?
I'm disabled, and although not in a wheelchair I lack stability while I walk
so I have to pay close attention to every step I make because of my
miniature tiger (not to step on him and not to trip over him). He's still a
kitten, so I would try anything to teach him otherwise, while there's still
time I had cats before and that seems to be the problem of the species as
a whole.

Old August 28th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, m4816k exclaimed (28-Aug-06 4:31 PM):
...but have to ask anyway Is there a way to stop cat from walking between
my legs while I walk, walk three inches in front of me while I walk etc.?
I'm disabled, and although not in a wheelchair I lack stability while I walk
so I have to pay close attention to every step I make because of my
miniature tiger (not to step on him and not to trip over him). He's still a
kitten, so I would try anything to teach him otherwise, while there's still
time I had cats before and that seems to be the problem of the species as
a whole.

Carry a little squirt bottle. Whenever he's where you don't want him,
give the kitty a squirt. It's important he doesn't see you do it, which
may be quite tough in your situation. If he doesn't mind the water, try
scenting it with lemon or orange juice. Just be careful you don't
squirt him in the eyes - would sting, with the citrus.

I've used squirt bottles with great effect as a training aid, but from a
distance, for curtain climbing and the like. I'd think it would work
for your situation, but as I said keeping the squirt disassociated from
you will be tougher.

jmc
Old August 28th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

In article ,
"m4816k" wrote:

...but have to ask anyway Is there a way to stop cat from walking between
my legs while I walk, walk three inches in front of me while I walk etc.?

Stepping on them seems to work pretty well.

I have a disfunctional lower limb too, and 5 cats. They are great
physical therapists, aren't they? Fuzzy fysical therapists. I can
relate, no kidding.

All five of these guys are wholly aware that they need to avoid Clumsy's
feet. Even so, sometimes they forget and one disaster or another
strikes. So far, there have been no serious or lasting injuries.

If the cats are the ones who eat it, they get lots of heartfelt
apologies and treats to make up for it. If I come crashing down, I get
lots of headbutts and purrs (and maybe a couple of "what's the matter
with YOU?" looks). Oh, and a couple of aspirin when required.

Upshot is, Clumsy here takes grace lessons. And learns how to stomp
fearsomely. If you can, stomping fearsomely can be highly effective. If
not, I suggest a light spritz from a spray bottle, or a loud sudden
rattle of some coins in a can.

All kidding aside, falling over cats can be very serious. You really
must do whatever it takes to prevent that from happening. You will be no
good to your pet when you have to spend three weeks in the hospital
recovering from a broken whatever.
Old August 28th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Here is something also I learned when I was in recovery due to my knee
damage.
I learned to shuffle my feet when walking the furballs that considered it
a game to run thru my extra four legs ( the walker ) and see if daddy
falls. They learned after a few slipper shuffles in the butt that they had
to move out of they way. And before any flamers try to say something none
cats were even thought about being hurt just their pride

When I wear my engineering boots when I go out for a ride on the hog; which
has been awhile since the knee repair I always stomp my boots when walking
to get them to run away from the noise don't need any furball getting a
steel toe in the wrong place. I would never forgive my self

Old August 31st 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
crickeh-re-hawd

lid wrote:

Stepping on them seems to work pretty well.

lol, nothing like a little pain to give one a revelation

Old September 2nd 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

m4816k wrote:
...but have to ask anyway Is there a way to stop cat from walking between
my legs while I walk, walk three inches in front of me while I walk etc.?
I'm disabled, and although not in a wheelchair I lack stability while I walk
so I have to pay close attention to every step I make because of my
miniature tiger (not to step on him and not to trip over him). He's still a
kitten, so I would try anything to teach him otherwise, while there's still
time I had cats before and that seems to be the problem of the species as
a whole.

One thing I worked out this morning, while *trying* to bring their bowl
of food from the kitchen-place to the kittie-place -- With my arms, if
I hold the bowl about a yard in front of me as I walk, they scamper and
such about a yard in front of my feet.

Don't know if that helps...

-----
Tom and his wife live in a house owned by two calico kittens.

Old September 2nd 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Tiger (like all cats) always has to try and block my path when walking.
If I should accidentally bump him with my leg he spits. If I sternly
say "look out" or "out of my way" he just spits. This is nothing
unusual - he spits at everything!

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')