Is taking a cat overseas a good idea?

Old September 15th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Is taking a cat overseas a good idea?

I read a long time ago that it's not such a hot idea because cat's have
a huge possibility of not making it... due to stress and whatnot...

My husband is in the USAF and we will possibly be stationed in Italy in
the next year or so and I really do not want to leave my cat behind. I
don't know what to do, but I want some kind of a plan.

My only concern is his attachment to me and his
nervousness/anxiousness.... he has panic attacks and hyperventillates
when he's really upset/scared... so I dunno...

I'd appreciate ANYTHING...

Old September 15th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In oups.com,
purred:
I read a long time ago that it's not such a hot idea because cat's
have a huge possibility of not making it... due to stress and
whatnot...

My husband is in the USAF and we will possibly be stationed in Italy
in the next year or so and I really do not want to leave my cat
behind. I don't know what to do, but I want some kind of a plan.

My only concern is his attachment to me and his
nervousness/anxiousness.... he has panic attacks and hyperventilates
when he's really upset/scared... so I dunno...

I'd appreciate ANYTHING...

Consult your vet where it concerns your cat's abilities to cope with the
travel. Most usually do fine, but some are hyper-sensitive and don't.

As for the legalities for taking a pet into a foreign country, check with
the US Consulate and/or your hubbys' branch of service's legal office. You
may need a "pet passport" and vet records, and maybe even a certificate of
health from the vet, stating that the pet has no diseases/parasites that he
will be bringing into the destination country.

Used to be, when taking a pet into England/UK, there was a *6* *month*
quarantine to ensure that the pet was healthy, but now a pet passport &
certificate of health from a certified vet are required.

Old September 15th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I've heard that quarantine thing mentioned before in a vet's office,
and kinda half-worried about that... I'm just so nervous about the
whole thing... thanks for your help though! =)
Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:
In oups.com,
purred:

Old September 15th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Margaret Caldwell Ott

If your cat will fit, there is such a thing as an "under the seat" cat
carrier designed for taking cats on airplanes and having them with you
as opposed to putting them in the baggage hold of the plane. Our boys
do not like to travel either, but we found that having them with us
really helped--us and them. On one flight, we were allowed to walk
them (on leashes) up and down the aisles for a little exercise. They
managed just fine! BTW, vet passports and certificates of a cat's
health are required for domestic travel as well as international!

Good Luck!

PegNDerek

On 15 Sep 2006 08:50:04 -0700, "
wrote:

I've heard that quarantine thing mentioned before in a vet's office,
and kinda half-worried about that... I'm just so nervous about the
whole thing... thanks for your help though! =)
Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:
In oups.com,
purred:

Old September 16th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Hi,
I live in Quebec, and moved to Rome for a year in 2002 with my
cat, who was 16 at the time. Yes, I had to get the international
vaccination certificate - my vet had the form - but when we arrived in
Rome, no one even noticed her. She was completely ignored. I walked
right out from customs with the cage. (Still, she was checked on our
return to Canada a year later, so I did end up needing the
certificate!) She, like most cats, was very stressed by the travel, but
was in her cage under my seat, so I could put my fingers through and
reassure her. Actually, the airline rule was that she had to be put in
the washroom during takeoff and landing. You might want to get a
sedative for your cat if you travel with him. Once in Italy, cats are
very popular, although Italians HATE the idea of declawing. Find an
English-speaking vet unless your Italian is fluent. In big cities, this
is not impossible. Unless you can find a wonderful foster home, I'd say
take your cat; they do adapt as long as they have us, their people.
Good luck.

Old September 16th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Okay, so now I have a stupid question. What about when he potties on
the plane? Don't know why, but I just randomly thought of that. I
figure I'm gonna have to clean that up cuz... that's just gross... and
I'm sure the people around me wouldn't like me to just leave it.

((Don't make fun of me!! I'm just asking!!!))