cat is biting me "for fun"

Old September 28th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

Default cat is biting me "for fun"

My boyfriend and I recently introduced a second cat into our home (that
nightmare is a whole diffferent thread) - the new kitty is 13 months and very
playful. his favorite game is jumping for a dangling string or whatever is
dangling.

unfortunately he also likes biting my fingers and toes. it seems that when I
recoilfrom his bites (not hard mind you) - it makes him think that it's like
the string or toy bobbing up and down. - if I try to pet him he thinks my
fingers are something to "grab" - and when I sleep he nips my toes.

I don't know what to do - we can't encourage this behavior, because he's
going to get older and bite harder - and it's simply annoying - but how does
one discipline a young cat?

Old September 28th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chili palmer

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
My boyfriend and I recently introduced a second cat into our home (that
nightmare is a whole diffferent thread) -

lmso! (the s is for socks)

yes! they know how to keep us hopping

the new kitty is 13 months and very
playful. his favorite game is jumping for a dangling string or whatever is
dangling.

unfortunately he also likes biting my fingers and toes. it seems that when I
recoilfrom his bites (not hard mind you) - it makes him think that it's like
the string or toy bobbing up and down. - if I try to pet him he thinks my
fingers are something to "grab" - and when I sleep he nips my toes.

I don't know what to do - we can't encourage this behavior, because he's
going to get older and bite harder - and it's simply annoying - but how does
one discipline a young cat?

I have a young cat who is not quite 13 mo old yet...

when I don't want her doing something.. I can usually rattle something
at her
like today.. I was coming in the front door, I noticed she was standing
close to the opening
wanting to go out..

I shook the storm door a little bit.. but she would'nt back up..

I had a paper bag in my hand (bag was full of candy, I had just walked
to the corner store)
she hates me to rattle something at her... I shook the bag at her.. she
leaped back...

try something like that...

if anything it's a diversion from the nipping, second thing.. if she
don't like it.. you can keep the rattler handy... for a little lite
behavior mods

Post some pics!

Old September 28th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Niel Humphreys

"kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote in message
[...]

I have a similar aged kitty who used to do this. I found that hissing like
another cat or a short sharp 'OI' works, she now opens her mouth to start a
bite and then remembers and either quickly turns it into a lick or backs off
& continued playing.
--

Niel H

Old September 28th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

[...]

Every time he does this say a high pitched "ow", "no" and put him down. The
"ow" comes out sounding a lot like the noise a littermate would make it the
play got too rough. If he comes back and does it again do the same thing.
If he is back again say "ow", "no" and give him a 5 - 10 min. time out in
another room like the bathroom. Be consistent and don't let him get away
with biting. I had to do this with my Boots and it stopped his biting. This
probably should have been done with your boy months ago so it might take a
while for him to get the idea that this isn't acceptable behavior and if he
bites he won't get to spend time with his people. The time out also covers
the possibility that he's just over stimulated. Gives him some quite time to
settle down.

Old September 28th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I think cats get more gentle, not less gentle, as they get older. As a
kitten my furball hooked me with her claw, painfully, a couple times and I
let out a loud holler which I think got the message out.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old September 28th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
My boyfriend and I recently introduced a second cat into our home (that
nightmare is a whole diffferent thread) - the new kitty is 13 months and very
playful. his favorite game is jumping for a dangling string or whatever is
dangling.

unfortunately he also likes biting my fingers and toes. it seems that when I
recoilfrom his bites (not hard mind you) - it makes him think that it's like
the string or toy bobbing up and down. - if I try to pet him he thinks my
fingers are something to "grab" - and when I sleep he nips my toes.

I don't know what to do - we can't encourage this behavior, because he's
going to get older and bite harder - and it's simply annoying - but how does
one discipline a young cat?

A few months ago I asked my vet about this same issue. Our young male
was biting my mom (and drawing blood!) and I wnated the behavior to
STOP immediately, not become a game or a power-struggle. The vet told
me to get a spray can of Arrid XX (preferably non-scented) and spray it
on our hands and feet (and ankles) whenever we were around the cat.
The idea is to let him take a bite or two and become so disgusted by
the "extra dry" chemicals that he contacted on our skin that he would
become "bite-averse". I was not able to find the unscented variety, so
I don't know how that would have worked. However, he was so appalled
by the very smell of the Arrid XX on our hands and ankles that he
totally stopped the behavior without ever biting into the ArridXX
coated skin!

I think our boy may have outgrown the behavior, because he's never
restarted that "game", although he will occasionally close his teeth on
a hand or arm (not really biting or hurting, just touching with his
teeth) and then licking that same place two or three times -- I don't
know if I'm being "tasted" or "kissed"

Old September 28th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com

I have a 5 month old that bites me for fun...at least I think it is. I've
used a spray bottle of water to deter him. Sometimes it works sometims not.
I'm going to try the spray deorderant thing and see if that works. Good luck.

Elizabeth wrote:
My boyfriend and I recently introduced a second cat into our home (that
nightmare is a whole diffferent thread) - the new kitty is 13 months and very

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...ealth/200609/1

Old September 28th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Niel Humphreys wrote:

I have a similar aged kitty who used to do this. I found that hissing like
another cat or a short sharp 'OI' works, she now opens her mouth to start a
bite and then remembers and either quickly turns it into a lick or backs off
& continued playing.
--

Niel H

This is also what I would suggest. It is working with my ~6 week old
kitten. He has started to lick insted of bite *sometimes* and is
getting better. You just have to let him know that what he is doing
hurts. A sharp "OW!" and removing kitty from your feet/hands (or in my
case face) when he is biting in play will work if you are consistent.
My little baby is starting to lick sometimes, especially my toes, and
responds with more licking when I giggle. Good luck!

Old September 28th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

this is very good advice - I like the deodorant thing because it doesn't mean
I'm actually scaring my cat into submission.

I'm going to try to be a bit more firm with him - saying NO - or refusing to
indulge him in petting if he's just nipped me - anywhere (and he is starting
to come up with some creative places to bite - like my neck when I was
sleeping last night).

I know this seems like obvious advice, but I've read how important it is
never to hit a cat for bad behavior - I wanted to know if yelling or "shaming
him/her" is also unacceptable with a cat.

Old September 29th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
I know this seems like obvious advice, but I've read how important it is
never to hit a cat for bad behavior - I wanted to know if yelling or "shaming
him/her" is also unacceptable with a cat.

I sometimes yell at my cats -- but only when one is being agressive
toward another or when I'm totally frustrated (not really a good reason
to do anything). It seems to "work" for the moment, but certainly not
long-term change in behavior. I don't know how one would "shame" a
cat, but I don't think it would work at all.

One other thing that seems to work for me with the biting or nipping of
hands. When one of my cats closes his/her teeth on my hand and applies
any pressure at all, I will say "Oh, you want to bite? Here -- bite
all you want" and will proceed to force my hand into their mouth,
pushing it back into their molars and thus forcing their mouths wide
open. I'll keep it there, holding the back of their head with my other
hand so they can't escape, for about 15 to 30 seconds -- talking to
them and making eye contact the whole while. After doing this 4 or 5
times ofver the course of several days, they all decide that they
really don't want to bite! By the way, this technique is ALWAYS done
with calm, assertive energy and a big smile -- never in anger or
frustration or yelling or hissing.

Elizabeth