Idiot neighbour....

Old September 29th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Default Idiot neighbour....

One of our neighbours has a shrine to their cat out the front of their
house, with a large sign saying 'please restrain your dogs' and explaining
how their cat was murdered by a dog. I really want to go and smack this
idiot around the head, and say, you murdered your cat, you tosser, you let
it go outside daily, and probably nightly too, and expected everyone else to
look out for it. Even though you didn't have the responsibility of a normal
pet owner and look out for it, everyone else has to. I have a smaller house
than them, seven cats, and it is not trouble to keep them indoors. Everyone
knows there are heaps of dogs around here, who occasionally get out, or are
being walked and might pull away from their owner to chase your cat. And
idiots who will hurt your cat, and cars that will kill it and yet people
think they have a 'right' to let their cat wander, and the rest of the world
has to look after it. Some people are stupid.

Old September 29th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

meeee wrote:
One of our neighbours has a shrine to their cat out the front of their
house, with a large sign saying 'please restrain your dogs' and explaining
how their cat was murdered by a dog. I really want to go and smack this
idiot around the head, and say, you murdered your cat, you tosser, you let
it go outside daily, and probably nightly too, and expected everyone else to
look out for it.

Be a little fair- when I was a kid everyone knew cats went out at night
I mean listen to the end of the Flintstone's cartoons, our first cat
was indoor/outdoor we only got him because we had a garden. When we
moved to our current flat we deprived ourself of being good slaves,
which of course is our natural status because people told us that it
was "Cruel" to keep cats inside all the time.....

Then we looked it up and decided it might work and that was a few years
ago and we still had our doubts but it happened a friend's cat had had
kittens and two tabby queens needed a home....We still had doubts
because everyone told us "Cats need to go out".....I don't think our
beloved Fugazi and Isis (Both RB) could have had a better life and I
don't think the current residents could have a better one either (Even
through at the moment they are having a fight over who gets to sit on
the catnip scented posts- these two will only use a certain post made
in the US and we're in the UK and I just paid an exorbitant price to
get some over here- spoilt? Not at all!)

Go round, talk to them, be nice maybe this is the shock they need and
persuade them to keep their cats indoors

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 29th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Lesley" wrote in message
oups.com...

meeee wrote:
[...]

I know I'm being a bit harsh...venting I suppose. Yes, I understand, as I
used to have my cats outside, as where I grew up (rural australia), there
was no education on keeping cats inside vs outside, but the Council of the
city I live in has a lot of education about responsible pet ownership
happening constantly; it's in the papers, on the radio etc. It's not them
having the cat outside, it's them blaming others. That's what worries me.
They are not taking responsibilty for what happened, ie. I chose to let my
cat wander, so therefore it is my responsibilty if something happens to my
much loved pet. They are putting signs up blaming dog-owners. Most of the
dog owners around here are very responsible, whereas the cat owners let
their cats wander continually. I would like to talk to them about it, but am
not sure, as they would probably resent a perfect stranger approaching them;
people can be a bit funny about it here. It's just frustrating as from the
signs, I think they will do the same with their next cat....let it wander
then get all outraged at car drivers when a car hits it. That worries me.

Old September 30th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"meeee" wrote in message
news

"Lesley" wrote in message
oups.com...

meeee wrote:
[...]

Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for letting
their dogs wander off their own premises.

MaryL

Old September 30th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

MaryL wrote:

Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for letting
their dogs wander off their own premises.

And don't get me started on idiot dog owners who seem to expect dogs to
chase cats. I have no idea where that particular urban myth started
from- in the wild, cats are not prey animals for dogs but I've seen
people urging their dog to chase a cat because "That's what dogs do".
Dogs aren't too bright that way and if their owner encourages them to
do it, they will do it to please their owner

I've had at least a couple of arguments with people what do that-not
recently through so I hope it's dying a well deserved death

Old September 30th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:38:04 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"meeee" wrote in message
news

"Lesley" wrote in message
oups.com...

meeee wrote:
[...]

Possibly. We don't know, based on the original post, where the cat
was killed. It could have wandered into a dog's yard, in which case
the fault is entirely on the cat's owner.

Rebecca
Old September 30th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alison

"meeee" wrote in message

[...]

So what if those dogs maul another dog or a child or causes a car to crash
? It's the other dogs, childs, cars fault? I dont think so.
What if someone wants to leash walk their cat or let it sit in their front
garden?
Alison

Old September 30th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Lesley wrote:
MaryL wrote:

Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for letting
their dogs wander off their own premises.

And don't get me started on idiot dog owners who seem to expect dogs to
chase cats. I have no idea where that particular urban myth started
from- in the wild, cats are not prey animals for dogs but I've seen
people urging their dog to chase a cat because "That's what dogs do".
Dogs aren't too bright that way and if their owner encourages them to
do it, they will do it to please their owner

I've had at least a couple of arguments with people what do that-not
recently through so I hope it's dying a well deserved death

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I'm an idiot dog owner (as well as an idiot cat owner). If a cat runs,
a dog WILL chase it. Even dogs who live happily with cats. They may
not intend the cat harm, but dogs who are unfamiliar with cats could
easily mortally wound a kitty without malicious intent. (Dogs don't
really distinguish one small running animal from another, for example,
rabbits vs. cats.)

That said, I am a very strong believer in keeping dogs under owner
control at all times, either on a leash or contained by fencing. Since
so many people use invisible fencing in my neighborhood (I do not, I
have a physical barrier), I would be very concerned about letting my
cats out and having them wander into a yard with dogs who more likely
than not would risk a shock to keep chasing a cat beyond it's
electronic boundaries.

Back in college I let my 2 cats wander out of doors, but I lived in a
much different environment with a lot of farm land and no busy roads.
Residential neighborhoods are simply not safe for cats IMHO. In my
case, it's primarily because of the ignorant teenagers who speed on our
residential streets.

Old October 1st 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 30 Sep 2006 13:22:11 -0700, "Lynne"
wrote:

Back in college I let my 2 cats wander out of doors, but I lived in a
much different environment with a lot of farm land and no busy roads.
Residential neighborhoods are simply not safe for cats IMHO. In my
case, it's primarily because of the ignorant teenagers who speed on our
residential streets.

From what I've heard from people living in rural/farm areas, they
aren't very safe for wandering pets, either. Apparently many animals
get dumped out in those kinds of areas, and many farmers are more
likely to shoot and bury than you might think. Especially if the
strays are anywhere near their livestock.

Rebecca
Old October 1st 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Alison wrote:

So what if those dogs maul another dog or a child or causes a car to crash
?

A dog chasing and killing a cat is much different than a dog attacking
another dog or child. Dogs see cats as prey - they see other dogs as
invading their territory or as possible mates and many (most?) dogs who
would kill a cat wouldn't think twice about attacking a human. I can
guarantee that if my dog had the chance, she would kill our neighbor's
cats that are in our yard almost every day - sher has tried to catch
them many times and has come close on occassion. On the flip side, she
will growl and bark at other dogs who come into our yard, but has many
dog friends she gets along with well, at the local dog park. She also
adores children and would never, in a million years, bite one unless it
was by accident (say if the child fell on her or something). That
being said, I never allow any child around my dog (not even my own)
unsupervised because such accidents *can* happen.

It's the other dogs, childs, cars fault? I dont think so.
What if someone wants to leash walk their cat or let it sit in their front
garden?

If one's cat is killed on one's own propery, it is the fault of the dog
owner. If the cat is killed elsewhere, it is the fault of the cat
owner.

-L.