OT -- Dog lovers in the house?

Old September 30th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Default OT -- Dog lovers in the house?

D-O-G stuff

The vet tech class at school where I'm taking some classes has animals
they practice on for the year. I saw the future techs out walking dogs
on Thursday.

There was a sweet dog who is very quiet and slow to believe you will be
nice to her. She came to the school from a cancer research facility so
has been in a lab environment for awhile. She is very shy and afraid,
but started warming up to me. I talked and talked to her, then stopped
petting her, and she slowly walked over to me and shyly looked to me for
more pets. She has big eyes that want to trust, and they will rip out
your heart.

She's like a small black lab, but with a pointier nose. She's all black
with a little gray on the muzzle. I didn't ask her age. She's probably
about 25 lbs. She has a few places shaved on her legs and mouth, where I
think they've been practicing procedures on her. I just wanted to grab
her and get her into a nice home where she can just be a pampered dog.

They find homes for these dogs at the end of spring quarter -- so it
would be around June '07.

If anyone is near the Pacific Northwest and interested, I will try to
deliver!

Rhonda

Old September 30th 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:01:05 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

[...]

I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
have happened if I'd had a fence.

I'm living on the island (safer) and I am taking care of dogs all the
time these days, so I could definitely foster her. Tweaker would love
it. But dogs that size are usually pretty easy to place. Meanwhile,
your friendship means the world to her, that I guarantee.

Charlie
Old September 30th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
have happened if I'd had a fence.

I'm living on the island (safer) and I am taking care of dogs all the
time these days, so I could definitely foster her. Tweaker would love
it. But dogs that size are usually pretty easy to place. Meanwhile,
your friendship means the world to her, that I guarantee.

Thanks, Charlie,

I thought it would have to be the right time or the right dog for you --
I know losing your other dog was traumatic. I will relay the fostering
offer to the school to keep in mind.

I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
look in her eyes is just a killer.

Rhonda

Old September 30th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rhonda" wrote
I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
look in her eyes is just a killer.

Honestly, I admire your control. I would be climbing the walls and
sending people money I don't have to get her OUT of there NOW.
Which of course, is crazy.

Old October 1st 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:19:19 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
[...]

Good for you. There many animals out there having miserable lives,
and all they need is one person to take an interest. My policy is not
to seek them out, because there are too many, but to befriend them
if/when I encounter them. It's always worth it.

Charlie
Old October 1st 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On 30 Sep 2006 19:43:35 +0200, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Rhonda" wrote
I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
look in her eyes is just a killer.

Honestly, I admire your control. I would be climbing the walls and
sending people money I don't have to get her OUT of there NOW.
Which of course, is crazy.

If the dog is being used in a course of veterinary study, one hopes
it's being cared for properly. But, it's probably lonely and anxious.

It had the good fortune to get on Rhonda's radar, and that will make
all the difference to this particular animal...

Charlie

Old October 1st 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
have happened if I'd had a fence.

Oh Jesus - I didn't know that part. Wasn't she hit by a car? Or am I
remembering wrong? How anyone could choose to kill someone's pet is
beyond me.

-L.

Old October 1st 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Rhonda wrote:
D-O-G stuff

snip

I replied to this and it never showed up. I put out a couple feelers -
one here in PDX and one in San Jose. I will let you know if I get any
response.

-L.

Old October 1st 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
On 30 Sep 2006 19:43:35 +0200, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Rhonda" wrote

I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
look in her eyes is just a killer.

Honestly, I admire your control. I would be climbing the walls and
sending people money I don't have to get her OUT of there NOW.
Which of course, is crazy.

If the dog is being used in a course of veterinary study, one hopes
it's being cared for properly. But, it's probably lonely and anxious.

I have to believe that these animals are being cared for properly so
that I can sleep at night. The four I saw out on leashes were mostly
playful and excited to be outside, except for this shy girl. She's a
sensitive one. I just can't think about her past too much, I just think
about those eyes and doing what I can to make sure she gets a good home.

Rhonda

Old October 1st 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

-L. wrote:
Rhonda wrote:

D-O-G stuff

snip

I replied to this and it never showed up. I put out a couple feelers -
one here in PDX and one in San Jose. I will let you know if I get any
response.

Thanks, Lyn. I will try to get more info about her next week in case
anyone is interested.

Rhonda