haiballs - help

Old October 1st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Pete

Default haiballs - help

Hi, I have a long hair adult male cat that is frequently constipated because
of hairballs. I've tried alot of different things but Laxatone seems to be
the way to go. The only probelm is that he hates the stuff and I am very
bad at opening his mouth so I can get it in there. He won't lick it off his
paw. He'll walk away from food that it's mixed with.

He really needs to have a maintenance dose of the stuff maybe three times
per week but I just can't do it.

Any suggestions for alternate methods?

Thanks
Pete

Old October 1st 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Pete

Temptations for Hairballs treats are what I use. The cats love them,
so there is no fighting about it. They come in little foil packets and
are in the same location as the canned catfood is at the grocery or pet
store.

Also, my vet said, that using Laxatone on a continual basis really
isn't good. It supposedly coats the stomach lining and prevents
nutrients from food being absorbed. Are you feeding canned food?
Ample water intack is also important to avoid constipation. And
combing or brushing long haired kitties also helps a lot.

Try Temptations!

Old October 1st 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Pete" wrote
Any suggestions for alternate methods?

Put it on his nose/mouth area. Just a little bit at a time, not the whole
glob. He will have to lick it off. I have never understood the paw
suggestion. What you will find is that he grows to like it the more he has,
if he is anything like my cat..

Old October 1st 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

When I had IKE (RB) I tried putting some Laxatone on his paw. He shook
his paw and the stuff went right in my eye.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')