Introducing cats to dogs

Old October 1st 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Introducing cats to dogs

I currently have two cats, and am thinking about adding a dog to the
family. I've been reading up on how to do this properly, so that
everyone gets along and the cats don't wind up as lunch, but
everything I've been able to find concentrates on the dog side of the
equation. So I know the danger signs to watch for there, and how to
handle the dog so that I reinforce good behavior with the cats and
discourage bad. But what I can't seem to find is anything about the
cat side of the equation. How do I get resident cats to accept a dog,
and are there any signs I should watch out for that would indicate
that they just aren't going to get along with the dog? I know that
they will probably be hissy for a while, but how long is too long,
etc.?

Rebecca
Old October 1st 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

wrote in message
I currently have two cats, and am thinking about adding a dog to the
family. I've been reading up on how to do this properly, so that
everyone gets along and the cats don't wind up as lunch, but
everything I've been able to find concentrates on the dog side of the
equation. So I know the danger signs to watch for there, and how to
handle the dog so that I reinforce good behavior with the cats and
discourage bad. But what I can't seem to find is anything about the
cat side of the equation. How do I get resident cats to accept a dog,
and are there any signs I should watch out for that would indicate
that they just aren't going to get along with the dog? I know that
they will probably be hissy for a while, but how long is too long,
etc.?

Rebecca

I've had a mix of cats and dogs most of my life and for the most part
everybody has at least tolerated each other. I guess the main thing is that
I really worked with the dogs to make sure I was in control of the situation
and that I could really "read" the dog. All of the cats learned to tolerate
the dogs and some even to actively search the dog out. My current dog is
very mellow and disinterested in the cats--I've never seen her be aggressive
to the cats even though she doesn't care too much about them. When she was
younger I always supervised her time with the cats and didn't leave them
alone with her til I felt I could trust her. It also depends on the breed
and/or temperament of the dog. Some have a much higher prey instinct than
others and might never be trusted around cats. Also, a puppy can be easier
to train than an older dog.

I would try to work on some basic obedience with the dog before introducing
him to the family, keep the cats in a separate room for a bit. Let them
sniff each others stuff. Gradually introduce them, giving the dog treats
for good behavior (as in lying down quietly around the cats). Always
provide escape routes for the cats--a baby gate in the hallway, cat tree,
access to another room where the dog is not allowed. Each cat will come to
terms with the dog in their own time--some might warm up to the dog in a few
days, some may take weeks to months and some might never feel comfortable
with dogs. Cats can also do their own share of damage. I was taking care
of my mother's Boston Terrier who is very respectful of cats-- one of my
cats got him in the eye with a claw and he had quite a painful infection.

Basically just take it slow and be patient. It's great when they finally
start getting along!

Have fun, Bonnie

Old October 1st 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 12:35:24 -0700, "22brix"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

See, that's the kind of advice I have already. My concern is that one
of my cats, while getting along with her companion cat, is not at all
shy about going up to strange cats that get into her territory and
just whaling on them. So I am a little bit concerned that I could get
a perfectly nice dog that's fine with cats, and have a demon cat that
tries to terrorize it, which wouldn't be fair to the dog. She hasn't
had much contact with dogs, and may be fine with them. But then
again, she may not. So, nothing that I've found has told me how to
figure out if the cat has problems with the dog, instead of the other
way around.

Rebecca
Old October 2nd 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Get a puppy. Preferably a small breed. The cats will train it for you....my
terrier is in awe of my cat, as she trained her young!!! Jasmine (cat) loves
my dog.....although the dog is quite scared of her, as she still thinks
Jasmine is bigger than she is, like when she was a puppy.

Old October 2nd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 12:35:24 -0700, "22brix"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Maybe find a bit more robust breed instead of highly strung dogs....maybe a
puppy the same size as the cat instead of smaller. I'm thinking boxer or
spaniel type dog instead of terrier or poodle-ish dog. Friendly, positive
natured dogs might be better than sensitive, introverted types, perhaps.
Good luck!!

Old October 2nd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 12:35:24 -0700, "22brix"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm not sure you will know until you try! Do you know of anybody with a cat
friendly dog that you could borrow?! One of my cats was fairly aggressive
to my dogs when we first got her--the dogs basically just ignored her and my
larger dog would just raise her head out of harms way and go about her
business. Now they more or less ignore each other. Also a cat may react
differently to a dog than they would with another cat. I agree with the
other poster--a larger (not giant!) dog would probably do better with cat
terrorism than a tiny dog.

Bonnie

Old October 2nd 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:31:43 GMT, "meeee"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Actually, I am thinking greyhound. We are generally a very laid-back
household, and I think it will be a good fit, as long as the cats like
the dog.

Rebecca
Old October 2nd 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:31:43 GMT, "meeee"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 12:35:24 -0700, "22brix"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
[...]

Well, good luck then and I hope you enjoy your new family member!!