URI in kitten

Old October 5th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default URI in kitten

Well, Levi finished his second round of antibiotics for a URI the night
before last. Last night the sneezing and watery eyes, runny nose
started up again, ever so slightly, and this morning it's back in full
swing. His eyes are not infected, thankfully (not yet...) He has an
appt to see the vet next Wednesday, but I will likely take him
sooner--today or tomorrow--if he gets worse. Especially since that
visit is for boosters, which I don't want to give him when he is sick.

I'm looking for advice (again). Levi was hand raised and came to us
with a nasty eye infection and a URI. He did a 7 day course of Amoxil,
..25 cc BID and antibiotic eye drops, also twice a day. Within 2 days
the URI symptoms were back, so 7 days after stopping the Amoxil, he
started a 10 day course of .50 cc BID, which he finished Tuesday night.
I will discuss this with the vet, but would like to know if anyone
here has similar experience. He's about 8 weeks old now, so I am
tempted to see if this URI will run its course. Is he at a "safe" age
for that? Or should we try a different antibiotic? Overuse of
antibiotics is never a good idea, but I also don't want to take a
chance with my little devil-angel.

TIA.

Old October 5th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Lynne wrote:
[...]

I just took his temperature (he hates me now) and it's normal, so
that's good.

Old October 6th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Could this be herpes? URI in kitten

Lynne wrote:
Lynne wrote:
[...]

I have been researching recurrent URI in kittens and now I'm worried it
may be herpes. Would antibiotics reduce the symptoms in herpes?
Should I have him tested? Is there a test??

Ack! I'm worried now, especially about my other cat catching it if it
is herpes.

Old October 6th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike S.

Lynne wrote:
Lynne wrote:
Lynne wrote:
[...]

It sounds like feline herpes to me. Ask the vet about L-Lysine. It's an
OTC amino acid that comes in paste, a pill, and powder that supresses
the virus. The recommended dose is usually 125mg - 250mg twice a day.
People say it works wonders. It sure did help my cats.

You should probably try to keep the cat indoors while it's ill, I find
it helps. Also, try to keep it warm and don't let the air get dry - it
can cause nasal problems. Last winter, it got dry in here (despite
using a humidifier) and when my cat sneezed, she sneezed out small
amounts of blood from her nose. I do not look forward to this winter.

Also, make sure your cat has plenty of fresh water. For some reason, my
herpes infected cats drink and drink and drink. I don't know why they
drink so much but they do.

Old October 6th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Lynne wrote:
Lynne wrote:
Lynne wrote:
[...]

If it's herpes, lysine can help. We've had that help a few cats who came in
with chronic URI. You can pick up a bottle of pills at a health food place
and grind them up with a pill crusher and mix with kitty's favorite wet
food. The lysine must not have much flavor because I have never had a cat or
kitten refuse to eat the food with lysine in it.

Old October 6th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Mike S. wrote:

It sounds like feline herpes to me. Ask the vet about L-Lysine. It's an
OTC amino acid that comes in paste, a pill, and powder that supresses
the virus. The recommended dose is usually 125mg - 250mg twice a day.
People say it works wonders. It sure did help my cats.

You should probably try to keep the cat indoors while it's ill, I find
it helps. Also, try to keep it warm and don't let the air get dry - it
can cause nasal problems. Last winter, it got dry in here (despite
using a humidifier) and when my cat sneezed, she sneezed out small
amounts of blood from her nose. I do not look forward to this winter.

Also, make sure your cat has plenty of fresh water. For some reason, my
herpes infected cats drink and drink and drink. I don't know why they
drink so much but they do.

I will discuss all of this with my vet. Thank you.

Looking on the bright side, if it is feline herpes, he would have had
to catch it from his mother's milk, right? He was found abandoned not
long after being born. If he has herpes, this tells me he at least got
colostrum, which despite the herpes is good news for his little immune
system. Right?

(Trying not to be upset...)

Old October 6th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Wendy wrote:

If it's herpes, lysine can help. We've had that help a few cats who came in
with chronic URI. You can pick up a bottle of pills at a health food place
and grind them up with a pill crusher and mix with kitty's favorite wet
food. The lysine must not have much flavor because I have never had a cat or
kitten refuse to eat the food with lysine in it.

My cat and kitten share food. Will lysine harm my other cat, who may
not have contracted feline herpes from his little brother?

Old October 8th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Lynne" wrote in message
ups.com...

Wendy wrote:

If it's herpes, lysine can help. We've had that help a few cats who came
in
with chronic URI. You can pick up a bottle of pills at a health food
place
and grind them up with a pill crusher and mix with kitty's favorite wet
food. The lysine must not have much flavor because I have never had a cat
or
kitten refuse to eat the food with lysine in it.

My cat and kitten share food. Will lysine harm my other cat, who may
not have contracted feline herpes from his little brother?

I don't think so. I've never heard of lysine having side effects. Maybe you
could divide the food into two bowls and feed the kitten in another room.
The cat doesn't really need to be eating kitten food anyway.

I currently have 2 of my 4 cats on prescription diets. One is on C/D and
another on K/D. The cat on C/D will start showing symptoms very quickly if
he eats anything other than his food so I have to separate them at meal time
to insure they aren't sharing with each other. They have gotten used to the
routine now and I think are actually happier that they don't have to worry
about anyone else horning in on their food bowl.

Old October 8th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Wendy wrote:
I don't think so. I've never heard of lysine having side effects. Maybe you
could divide the food into two bowls and feed the kitten in another room.
The cat doesn't really need to be eating kitten food anyway.

Ain't that the truth. Rudy has gotten FAT FAT FAT in the month since
we have had Levi.

I currently have 2 of my 4 cats on prescription diets. One is on C/D and
another on K/D. The cat on C/D will start showing symptoms very quickly if
he eats anything other than his food so I have to separate them at meal time
to insure they aren't sharing with each other. They have gotten used to the
routine now and I think are actually happier that they don't have to worry
about anyone else horning in on their food bowl.

I think it's time for me to introduce canned food into their diet and
seperate them for meals. I have always free fed my cats, but Rudy
really doesn't need to keep eating kitten food for the next 10 months!
I don't want to seperate them constantly, though, and with free feeding
obviously that would be tough.

Thanks, Wendy.