Feral Cat with ear infection HELP!

Old October 7th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KelTX

Default Feral Cat with ear infection HELP!

Hi all,
I joined this site tonight in an effort to get some answers. The problem: I
have a 7 year old cat (really not sure of her age) that has a nasty ear
infection. The problem is she was a feral cat I "tamed" over time and she
will not let anyone touch her but me. I have no idea what to do. My Vet won't
treat feral cats. I tried to clean her ear with some alchohol and she went
berzerk. Now she's wincing her eye on the side of the bad ear. She has been
spayed (from trapping about 5 years ago) and I'm sure I could never get her
in a carrier to have her treated. Even if the Vet would treat her.

Any ideas on what I can do to treat this? Will a Vet give me Rx for her food?
There is no way that cat will let me put anything in her ear. Especially
after the alchohol incident earlier.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks
KelTX

Old October 7th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Alcohol was the worst thing you could put in her ear. Can you call another
vet who will treat feral cats?
Gail

Old October 7th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KelTX

Well, it was a cotton swab with a little alcohol. Not much. I barely got it
on her at all really, so don't worry. I'm not that much of an idiot.

I have no idea really about another vet. I've never been to another vet
before. My understanding is that most vets won't treat feral cats.

Would an ear mite solution help maybe?

This is horrible. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I hate seeing her in
pain.

Gail wrote:
Alcohol was the worst thing you could put in her ear. Can you call another
vet who will treat feral cats?
Gail
Hi all,
I joined this site tonight in an effort to get some answers. The problem:

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]
Thanks
KelTX

Old October 7th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Hi there,

Where are you located? Maybe someone knows of a vet in your area that
works with ferals.

I would call the Humane Society and independent animal rescue groups and
see if they can recommend a vet. We have a rescue group here that works
with ferals and they have references for good vets that they work with.

Once you find the vet, they might give you a sedative to put in her
food. One of the former feral kittens we found a home for -- his owner
had the vet prescribe sedatives for whenever he had to be transported.

I had to get him into a carrier last year without the sedative. If you
want to try this -- we had him in a closet and we blocked off all ways
for him to run. We put a divider (big cardboard poster) in the middle of
the closet, then put the carrier open in the closet door with a towel
over the back of the carrier to make it dark inside, and another poster
over the carrier so he couldn't jump over. Don't know if that makes
sense, but the only way for him to escape was into the dark carrier. I
had someone move the barrier in the closet closer to him which of course
freaked him out, and he ran into the carrier and I quickly shut the door.

You might have to get a little creative based on where she's hiding.

With one of our former ferals, she just trusts me. I can put her in the
bottom half of a carrier and then have my sig. other quickly help put on
the top and door. I've also had carriers stand on end, then sort of
dumped the cat in the top. The trick is to not let them see the carrier
in advance, back over to it with the cat facing another direction, then
quickly swing around and dump. Do this in a small room with the door
closed if you can.

The vets who work with ferals know how to handle them. If they are truly
wild, the vet here sedates them while in the carrier.

You know your kitty needs a vet and I think you'll be able to find one
and get her there. It might take some effort and planning on your part,
but I'm sure you can do it.

Let us know what happens,

Rhonda

Old October 7th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Yes, vets do treat feral cats. You don't know what the problem is and that's
why it is difficult to treat her with over the counter things. Maybe you
could swab inside her ear and bring it to the vet to be analzyed to see if
it is ear mites.
Gail

Old October 7th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KelTX

Thanks Rhonda.

I'm in Dallas, TX. I'm going to call my vet in the morning (they are only
open until noon on saturdays). I'm going to ask him once again to treat her.
If he won't, then I'll call the SPCA or Humane Society and see if they can
give me an idea of where to go which won't be until Monday most likely. The
thought of her having to wait that long for treatment is bothering me though.

She's an outdoor only cat, has never even attempted to come in the house, and
I don't own a pet carrier. I'm going to ask my neighbor if I can borrow his
though. I'll attempt to get her in it once I find out where I'm taking her.
I've pretty much resolved myself to just taking her instead of trying to get
the medication and doing this myself. If I have to, I'll throw a blanket over
her in the yard and catch her that way. I'll figure out something! This is so
stressful. I feel so bad for her.

I'll let you know what the outcome is. Wish me luck and that I come out of
this without getting ripped to shreds!

Rhonda wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
Thanks
KelTX

Old October 7th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Hello again,

I found a rescue group in Dallas that works with ferals, here's their
website -- http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/adop...cue/71119.html.
You might shoot them off an email tonight to see if they have someone
that might help tomorrow.

Here's another one: http://www.kittico.org/.

This is a list of vets in general, some with Saturday hours listed.
Maybe another vet would be more experienced than your normal vet with
ferals: http://www.vetworld.com/vetusa/texas.html

Good luck, let me know how she does. I'm sure both of you will live
through this!

When you bring her home, do you have a room you might keep her in? You
are probably going to need to give her medicine a couple of times a day.
After her trip to the vet, if you let her loose outside again she may
disappear for awhile. If you have somewhere to keep her, it would be
much easier on you and you'd be certain she gets the medicine.

Hope it goes well,

Rhonda

Old October 7th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
guynoir

Default How to load a feral cat into a carrier.

KelTX wrote:
Thanks Rhonda.

I'll let you know what the outcome is. Wish me luck and that I come out of
this without getting ripped to shreds!

Put the carrier (with its door open) and the cat in a room where the
carrier is the only cozy hiding place. Put a towel or newspapers in
the bottom of the carrier. The cat will go into the carrier on his
own. This works better if you condition him for a few days or weeks
before you close the door on him.

My vets always give me Clavamox for a weeks worth of treatment (for
various infections and wounds). So far, the cats have always gotten
better. I mix the Clavamox with a small amount of canned food.

John Kimmel

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter -- bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Old October 8th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KelTX via CatKB.com

YAY!! My Vet called me back this morning. We went through the description of
the infection, etc. I managed to swab the ear (barely) and went down early
for him to take a look. Yep, ear mites with pus, infection the whole shabang.
He sends me home with a Rx for Tresaderm which treats the mites plus has an
antibiotic for the infection. I came home and she was miserable. Just laying
on the deck. She took one look at the white bottle and bolted. I gave it a
little while, put out a can of tuna. Worked like a charm. I got her on the
railing, let her eat the tuna while I petted her (hiding the bottle in my
other hand with the top off). Pretty soon, she seems relaxed enough and I
just grabbed her, put the drops in and that was that! She kinda made a low
growling noise, gave the the "look" and then kept eating the tuna! I couldn't
believe it. So, I have to bribe with tuna every day for the next 7 days.
Which I'm sure she'll get hip to I'm sure, but then I'll switch to some nasty
wet cat food she likes or something.

WHEW! I also wormed her today too, so she's had a bad day. Is sleeping
peacefully under a tree in the backyard. Still looks miserable, but at least
she's on the road to recovery.

Thank you all for your help! I really, REALLY appreciate it.

And thanks for those links Rhonda. These are going to come in handy.

Million thanks ya'll!

Kel

Rhonda wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 66 lines]